Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Larry, you can not point out facts to this person. They have an agenda. Misguided, but clearly trying to fight for this tooth and nail.

I think the part this person is missing is that the argument truly has no teeth or nails. The facts don't support the argument.

Rather silly to me to continue along that path.

I already told this person how offended I was by telling me what to be offended by. Yet, this person continues.

It's becoming creepy to me. It's not even productive.

Dang, the agenda is strong.

Is Thanksgiving anti-Native, now? I kinda thought they were a very important part of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Day_of_Mourning_(United_States_protest)

The National Day of Mourning is an annual protest organized since 1970 by Native Americans of New England on the fourth Thursday of November, the same day as Thanksgiving in the United States. It coincides with an unrelated but similar protest, Unthanksgiving Day, held on the West Coast.

The organizers consider the national holiday of Thanksgiving Day as a reminder of the democide and continued suffering of the Native American peoples. Participants in the National Day of Mourning honor Native ancestors and the struggles of Native peoples to survive today. They want to educate Americans about history. The event was organized in a period of Native American activism and general cultural protests. The protest is organized by the United American Indians of New England (UAINE).

. . .

In his November 2014 message to the tribe, Mashpee Wampanoag Chief Qaqeemasq wrote, "Historically, Thanksgiving represents our first encounter with the eventual erosion of our sovereignty and there is nothing wrong with mourning that loss. In fact, as long as we don’t wallow in regret and resentment, it’s healthy to mourn. It is a necessary part of the healing process."[3]

So, we have another person trying to make the claim that it's offensive for the Redskins to say "Happy Thanksgiving", because it's offensive (to some Natives) for anybody to say "Happy Thanksgiving"?

I'm seeing a growing movement, here, to get rid of the holiday. 

Native Americans offended by Thanksgiving on the grounds that it represents the introduction of Europeans to the natives reminds me of jehovahs witnesses refusal to celebrate birthdays on account of herodias' daughter asking for John the Baptist head on a platter at his birthday celebration.

You're creating a cause and effect type of relationship out of two things that aren't actually related.

Native Americans offended by Thanksgiving on the grounds that it represents the introduction of Europeans to the natives reminds me of jehovahs witnesses refusal to celebrate birthdays on account of herodias' daughter asking for John the Baptist head on a platter at his birthday celebration.

You're creating a cause and effect type of relationship out of two things that aren't actually related.

Well if Thanksgiving commemorates what happened at Plymouth plantation, then I think the connection is reasonable, and I say this as a descendent of William Bradford.

Merry Christmas folks...I am not even remotely religious.

Yep, I said it.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend...and I am not a fan of Thanksgiving (besides the family and food).

Yep, I said it.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

And if you did...who gives a ****. People need to get over themselves. Life is not fair. You won't always like everything you see and hear.

You can chose to be happy or unhappy, but that is all on you.

Didn't read what I wrote?

Or couldn't argue with it, so you decided to argue with something I didn't say, instead?

If your memory can't go back that far, I'll give you a refresher. I have already posted that I believe the origin is consistent with Dr Goddard's explanation. I don't argue that it doesn't, so quit trying to say that I do or should.

My point is in arguing with RFKFedEx you say this "the guy you're trying to hold up as an authority, somebody who knows more about whether the name is offensive, than the people supposedly offended do" and imply that Campbell isn't among the group of "people supposedly offended".

And the second comma, "...whether the name is offensive(,)than the people..." is incorrect and unnecessary

I never in any way implied that he wasn't a member of the group supposedly offended.

That does not, however, make him the group.

(Neither does whether his name sounds Native).

Nor did I ever once imply that he was not genuinely offended.

Thus, the ENTIRE contents of your post consisted of an attempt to ignore the fact that what I said was correct, and to attempt to point out that two things I didn't say, weren't true. (Hence, my response).

You're right about the coma, though. :)

Well if Thanksgiving commemorates what happened at Plymouth plantation, then I think the connection is reasonable, and I say this as a descendent of William Bradford.

I got this.

http://www.ushistory.org/us/3b.asp

Still haven't found anything concrete about the feast celebrating the killing of 700 natives, outside of the opinions of people prone to tall tales with an agenda like harjo and Ben Campbell.

You're right about the coma, though. :)

Sorry about this Larry, I'm not meaning to be a Richard (although sometimes it can come across that way) and it's not meant as a personal attack or anything, it's just that my mom was kind of a grammar police. :)

Comma, a mark of punctuation; coma, a deep state of unconsciousness

I'll keep on track for the rest of this

You trade that player. No one player is more important than the team. Personally, I would not want that player on the team anyway.

I wonder if it could be worse than that for us. It's one thing to say you won't play for a team because you don't like the city or the ownership or whatever. We've seen that before. Players hold out (John Elway). But what if a player takes the position that playing for the Redskins somehow violates their civil rights (I'm not a lawyer). I wonder if there's a legal leg to stand on and what the outcome of such a situation would be.

Maybe it's as you mentioned. We'd still own his rights and would have to find a trade.

Maybe it's as you mentioned. We'd still own his rights and would have to find a trade.

There is 1 other option. Let him sit out a season, re-enter next year's draft. Usually ends up with said player losing a lot of money (at least short term) since a year off from football means they're extremely likely to be picked lower next year than where they were just selected.

Prepare for an uptick in the name debate. 

I've always said that this is a disingenuous topic for a lot of people.  This whole debate didn't pick up steam until after 2012 when RG3 was hot, selling a lot of jerseys, we won the division and had multiple appearances on national TV across 2012 and 2013.  

No one cares about this debate as much when the Redskins are 4-12 and not in the public consciousness.  No one cared about it during the previous decade when we had a losing record practically every year.  There's no platform for dumbass Bob Costas to espouse his thoughts on national TV when the Redskins aren't winning and we're flying under the radar.  

Monday Night Football against Dallas, sitting in first place this late in the season?  It'll be back on people's minds.  Look for more mentions of it on TV and in the media over the next week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

This happened today.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/57340167-story

Btw ,did anybody see Dan Steinberg called out the "R******s Facts' Twitter feed during the game yesterday? Somebody from RFs paralleled a duplicate Tweet with @Redskins, while they were doing live game updates. The Tweet desk jockey likely cut-n-pasted on the wrong page. But hey, we all make mistakes. Remember, R******s Facts was supposed to be a grassroots fan movement.  

http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/705752

In a 3-0 vote, school board officials in an Oklahoma town voted late last week to keep the high school's Redskins nickname in a move that drew both support and ire from Native Americans.

The Daily Oklahoman reports that the board in McLoud, part of the Oklahoma City Consolidated Metropolitan Area, took the Dec. 10 vote "after more than an hour of intense discussion that left several speakers in tears."

"We are very proud of our Redskins, and have never thought of the name being derogatory or insulting," Darlene Halford said during public discussion before the vote, the Oklahoman reports.

The newspaper noted that "[o]thers, mainly those from outside the McLoud community," opposed the nickname.

"Mascots dehumanize. If you are a mascot, you are less than human," said Sarah Adams-Cornell, a member of the Choctaw Nation. She was interrupted by the unhappy audience as she went over the two-minute time limit for public remarks, with people shouting, "Time's up," as she tried to continue speaking.

Most of the local Native Americans who spoke at the meeting supported the Redskins name, the Oklahoman reports.

"On behalf of the McLoud High School Inter-Tribal Club, we are fully aware of the situation," said one speaker.

"An outside voice does not speak for our (local) native community. We are not being manipulated by others; we're speaking out our own opinions. Not a single member of our tribal club find the Redskin name offensive. We find the Redskin name ... an honor."

The name also sparked debate last month at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. The school's nickname was the Redskins for nearly 70 years until being changed to RedHawks in 1997.

In an "open letter" printed in the school newspaper in November, student Anna Lucia Feldman castigated a local bar owner who has named a drink in honor of the old nickname, writing " I have to tell you that your use of the slur 'redskin' as a drink name is reprehensible.

"I know you were trying to honor Miami by using our old mascot and that you probably don't even know what the word really means, so I'll educate you just a little bit about its history."

After stating her case, Feldman pithily concluded:

"Now that we all know your drink name is offensive, I have no doubt you'll take the swiftest action to rename it."

btw, as far as that lady part about the name, more "Redskins = scalps" phony BS 'history'. Ironic that she says she's 'educating' people about the history of the word.

Archived