Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help with a Grad school paper!

Captain James

Hello all,

I am seeking advice and some insight for a particular question on my autobiographical statement. The question is as follows:

"How do you best learn complexities of the world; especially those that contradict previous knowledge?"

How would you go about answering this question? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Since your questions is auto-biographical, doesn't the answer depend on your experience.

Generally, there is a lot written on this topic. This line of thinking in terms of the education system and so in terms of systematic studying and understanding of it, really started in physics class.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=unlearning+aristotelian+physics&oq=unlearning+ari&gs_l=hp.1.0.0i22i30.723.3520.0.5502.14.13.0.1.1.1.188.1883.0j13.13.0...0.0...1c.1.7.psy-ab.ax0QiyXuk48&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.dmQ&fp=459c9234ee5565df&biw=1002&bih=549

Hello all,

I am seeking advice and some insight for a particular question on my autobiographical statement. The question is as follows:

"How do you best learn complexities of the world; especially those that contradict previous knowledge?"

For me personally, I follow what's called the Wesleyan Quadrilateral, where Scripture is the unchangeable standard and our reason/logic, traditions (the way those who came before us did things, and experience all work in subjection to scripture working through these disciplines in communication with others has proven to me to be the best way to learn complexities of the world, especially those that contradict previous knowledge.

BTW, I am not looking to start a religious debate, I'm just spelling out the process that I use.

Talk about all the different ways you go about finding, analyzing, and selecting different sources when trying to form an opinion on a topic. Essentially, how you go about answering that question on your autobiographical statement is your answer. Just think back to all of the papers you have written and researched arguments you have made, and determine how you found, analyzed, and selected various sources to form and reinforce your opinion, then summarize that for your statement.

Talk about all the different ways you go about finding, analyzing, and selecting different sources when trying to form an opinion on a topic. Essentially, how you go about answering that question on your autobiographical statement is your answer. Just think back to all of the papers you have written and researched arguments you have made, and determine how you found, analyzed, and selected various sources to form and reinforce your opinion, then summarize that for your statement.

Or just be honest and admit that you really just kinda go along with the flow and only really adjust when it is about to kill you.

:

The first step is to look at the world with fresh eyes by accepting that everything you know may be wrong, and your prior choices have been bad ones. Especially your choice of grad study.

Hello all,

As a mathematician, we're often faced with this question because we deal only in truth whereas other sciences deal with trial and error. So one concept is to learn not to believe all of what you see, and not to think that just because something is true in a small sample of instances, that it can be generalized to cover the set of all such instances.

Admissions panels ask these types of questions because they want insight into you, your views and the way you think. Talk about your experience, not the experiences of others; you'll have a better chance of remembering what the hell you wrote in your essay when they ask you the exact same question in your interivew.

For the record, this will be the easiest paper you write in grad school :)

Bong rips and Pink Floyd.
The first step is to look at the world with fresh eyes by accepting that everything you know may be wrong, and your prior choices have been bad ones. Especially your choice of grad study.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

The term Mentat is considered by most to mean a human computer, but in function a Mentat is an analyst studying data to determine it's meaning. The Mentats of Frank Herbert's Dune novels possess superhuman computational abilities but their system is as functional as it is simple. Start with a blank slate free of bias.

A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.
Ready comprehension is often a knee-jerk response and the most dangerous form of understanding. It blinks an opaque screen over your ablility to learn. The judgemental precedents of law function that way, littering your path with dead ends. Be warned. Understand nothing. All comprehension is temporary.

(Frank Herbert mentat quotes - Dune)

I think the best way is via reputable sources followed by research also veted by which secondary sources are reputable.

I remember when I was in the desert of Saudi waiting for the war to begin and my buddy kept telling me "It started it started".... based upon erroneous reports in "the new republic".

reputable sources are everything

If you really want to embrace your new basis of reality... you put a thread on EXSkins and try to defend it against all comers..

If you can do that to your own satisfaction you know you are all gold. If the big brains here make valid attacks on your tretis then you know your

position still has holes.

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 12:58 PM ----------

For me personally, I follow what's called the Wesleyan Quadrilateral, where Scripture is the unchangeable standard and our reason/logic, traditions (the way those who came before us did things, and experience all work in subjection to scripture working through these disciplines in communication with others has proven to me to be the best way to learn complexities of the world, especially those that contradict previous knowledge.

BTW, I am not looking to start a religious debate, I'm just spelling out the process that I use.

Like scripture hasn't changed? Like scripture can be used as either a basis of reason or logic. This is the whole Thomas Aquinas vs Socrates debate. Aquinas who tried to fuse logic/reason and scripture.. Of coarse the problem is Sacrates asked the questions and followed where the arguments lead him to the solutions . Aquinas came up with the solutions and formulated the questions and arguments in order to support those solutions. Which is neither logical or reasonable.

Like we interpret scripture the same as we always have? Like even modern scholars agree on how scriptures should be interpreted? Scripture is often more broad than given headlines in the NYTimes. If those headlines which challenge your world view, how can scripture be applied to determine the correctness of the new information? Besides I think Scripture is much bigger on personal conduct than it is on how the world works.

Archived