Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Native Americans Speaking Out In Support of Redskins Name

rd421

Is Dan Snyder on the verge of becoming a hero to Redskins fans? Someone make a time machine, go back to 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2008, and 2009 and tell Redskins fans that one day we'll feel lucky to have as passionate an owner as Dan Snyder and everyone will poop themselves with anger.

Guest Spearfeather
Sadly, DC won't invite us back in unless we change the name...

(or bribe them)

Fine. Maryland it is.

(or bribe them)

Why do we need to go back to DC? Stay in PG or somewhere in NOVA. DC would kill the stadium experience. The tailgating experience at Fedex is amazing!

The perfect response to the "would you call her a redskin to her face" question would have been "No, because she's not apart of our organization or team". You stay respectable while indicating that no one actually uses that word in society other than to refer to the team or its members.

The perfect response to the "would you call her a redskin to her face" question would have been "No, because she's not apart of our organization or team". You stay respectable while indicating that no one actually uses that word in society other than to refer to the team or its members.

that argument lies the problem. if it only refers to the team members and it is offensive otherwise, thats why people are saying change it

Guest Spearfeather
The perfect response to the "would you call her a redskin to her face" question would have been "No, because she's not a part of our organization or team". .

That actually would be a very good response.

(or bribe them)

Ya right. You see all that money DC is counting from what the Nats stadium did to SW and M street? DC politicians say a lot of things, but the money never lies.

As if I needed another reason to love the Danny. Hail Ya!!!

I have a good friend who has a German last name, his lineage comes from Germany and England, he's whiter/paler and blonder than I am, yet he always puts in that he's 1/16th Cherokee. I told him 1/16th doesn't count and I'm sure somewhere along the line I can find lineage in other backgrounds just from marriages and divorces. But I just say I'm of Irish/English decent even though I can add in some German and possibly Nordic somewhere, but it's not worth it. I tell my friend he's an idiot and he's not Native American.

Doesnt count? What are you, twelve?

Im an 1/8 Cherokee and take a lot of pride in my lineage and find that remark highly offensive and extremely ignorant. I can only hope my two boys take as much pride in where they come from as I do, despite only having been passed down a fraction of the Cherokee blood.

Good god, I could go on but I get the feeling I'd be wasting my time. You either have no pride or, most likey, you're the idiot.

I think that if the organization is one day forced to change the nickname, I vote for not having a nickname at all. How about a nice big middle finger to every governing body forcing the change and just refer to the team as the "Washington Football Team" or just "Washington Team"; and then remove any logo while we're at it, replacing it with a checkerboard of burgundy and gold. Because let's face it, no nickname is ever going to replace what we have now, and I'd personally rather not give these people the satisfaction of knowing they forced a nickname change. We just won't have a nickname. Or we can just call them the Wizards--that's a solid replacement.

I think that if the organization is one day forced to change the nickname, I vote for not having a nickname at all. How about a nice big middle finger to every governing body forcing the change and just refer to the team as the "Washington Football Team" or just "Washington Team"

I like this. That way, officially, we could just be called "Washington." Unofficially us fans could still refer to the team as the "Redskins" without having to worry about another name getting in the way.

Snyder ownership tenure may have had more ups than downs, but IMO, this is a big time positive. Putting his foot down on this issue was HUGE. All the pressure over the past few months for a name change was such BS. Most people of the people that it should matter to even find the name offensive. It's these people that try to make a name for themselves as champions of prejudice and intolerance that really piss me off. They don't really have any idea of the struggles that Native Americans have gone through. Thank God Snyder put them in their place. That said, he also gave them fodder for the litany of columns that will be written tomorrow.

Archived