Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Orioles 2013 Thread

TD_washingtonredskins

MASN's Steve Melewski reports Dylan Bundy is dealing with "mild tightness" in

his right elbow. It perhaps explains Bundy's drop in velocity this spring.

The Orioles are calling it a day-to-day situation for now, but elbow injuries

are never a good sign. Bundy is slated to open 2013 as a starter with Double-A

Bowie.

Hopefully nothing serious that lingers...

Hopefully nothing serious with Bundy. I'd love to see him get called up this June.

Its funny, as a nats fan I saw "elbow tightness" and my honest first thought was that that was a good thing. Its like I expect every young pitcher to get TJ surgery at some point, so get it out of the way early.

Hopefully he doesnt need any surgery, but elbow is way better than shoulder.

Word is Machado is going to hit #2 in our opening day lineup tomorrow. Facing lefty David Price obviously.

Also Reimold in left with Steve Pearce as DH. No McLouth in the lineup, again due to Price. I'm REALLY hoping Reimold can stay healthy this year. He's 29, so this is more or less it for him. I hope his back holds up.

Hey, I don't remember where I heard this, and being that I don't really care about the O's, I didn't give it much thought, but I figured I'd ask here. I think it was on the radio, someone said the O's pitching coaches were trying to move Bundy off of throwing a cutter and onto something different? If this is true, why are they doing this, I thought his cutter was supposed to be devastating. If it was just radio speculation, then nevermind and carry on.

Hey, I don't remember where I heard this, and being that I don't really care about the O's, I didn't give it much thought, but I figured I'd ask here. I think it was on the radio, someone said the O's pitching coaches were trying to move Bundy off of throwing a cutter and onto something different? If this is true, why are they doing this, I thought his cutter was supposed to be devastating. If it was just radio speculation, then nevermind and carry on.

It has to do with Duquette. Here's an article about it: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/dan-duquette-doesnt-like-cutters/

Pretty interesting read. Duquette just doesn't seem to believe in the cutter as a good pitch to have in your arsenal.

It has to do with Duquette. Here's an article about it: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/dan-duquette-doesnt-like-cutters/

Pretty interesting read. Duquette just doesn't seem to believe in the cutter as a good pitch to have in your arsenal.

Okay, that's ridiculous. I've never seen Bundy throw but from what I've read, it's a great pitch for him. I mean hell, the screwball can majorly **** up your elbow/shoulder if you don't do it right, but do you think the Dodgers are looking back saying "we wish Fernando-mania never happened?" This is a modified fastball...what the hell? I'm not an advanced statistics whore, but the ones cited on that FanGraphs article didn't make the cutter stand out in a bad way. I'm just not following the logic here...the most exciting pitching prospect the Orioles have had in awhile...let's tell him he can't throw one of his best pitches and has to learn something else.

Okay, that's ridiculous. I've never seen Bundy throw but from what I've read, it's a great pitch for him. I mean hell, the screwball can majorly **** up your elbow/shoulder if you don't do it right, but do you think the Dodgers are looking back saying "we wish Fernando-mania never happened?" This is a modified fastball...what the hell? I'm not an advanced statistics whore, but the ones cited on that FanGraphs article didn't make the cutter stand out in a bad way. I'm just not following the logic here...the most exciting pitching prospect the Orioles have had in awhile...let's tell him he can't throw one of his best pitches and has to learn something else.

I can sorta see what Duquette is talking about. I think they don't want Bundy to lean on his cutter in the minors. They want him to be able to develop more pitches. Which makes sense. But I also agree that you don't take away someone's best pitch. We'll see if Bundy will throw the cutter when he comes up the majors.

I can sorta see what Duquette is talking about. I think they don't want Bundy to lean on his cutter in the minors. They want him to be able to develop more pitches. Which makes sense. But I also agree that you don't take away someone's best pitch. We'll see if Bundy will throw the cutter when he comes up the majors.

I'll admit up front I'm relying on Wikipedia here to get some of my facts on Bundy, but bear with me. According to Wikipedia, Bundy throws four pitches. A four seam fastball, a cutter, a curve, and a changeup. The four seamer sits between 94-96 and has touched 100...

Here's my transalation, coming from someone who pitched but topped out a good 16-20 mph slower than what Bundy throws. If you can "touch 100" on your fastball, you don't need to "lean on" your cutter in the minors, your fastball is your "lean on" pitch. His curveball is apparently very good, and his changeup is "solid."

I've always been of the opinion that if you have an above average changeup, you really only need three pitches. It you throw flat, then maybe you can try adding a splitter to get more ground balls, but a cutter should be able to do that as well, if thrown as well as Bundy supposedly does. You know what else can overcome throwing a flat fastball? Throwing it damn near 100 mph. You think Aroldis Chapman gives a **** whether his fastball stays level? I'm not personally invested, but as someone who played baseball for many years and spent a lot of time developing myself as a pitcher, I hate seeing that kind of God-given talent screwed around with. Put him on a "cutter limit" if you really don't want him reliant on the pitch, but eliminate it entirely?

What are they going to have him replace it with? He's already got four pitches, how many do the Orioles think he needs? Tim Wakefield basically made a career with one pitch. Strasburg only throws three pitches predominantly, depending on the hitter. Randy Johnson only used three. I know I'm citing people with either long careers or high expectations, but that's what's on Bundy, and I don't think he needs to be messed with. It doesn't help that while Duquette has built some nice teams in the past, he hasn't presided over and champions or anything. Leave Dylan Bundy alone!!

It's nice we'll have Markakis, Roberts and Reimold starting the season healthy.

I am however going to start the season much like I did last year. thinking the worst. maybe by august I'll believe in them again ;)

I believe! We had a really good record in ST, so hopefully that carries over. I think we have a really good chance of winning the AL East. Our pitching is deep...and if the team can stay healthy, the bats will be more than alive. No reason why Chris Davis can't be a 40+ HR guy.

I'll admit up front I'm relying on Wikipedia here to get some of my facts on Bundy, but bear with me. According to Wikipedia, Bundy throws four pitches. A four seam fastball, a cutter, a curve, and a changeup. The four seamer sits between 94-96 and has touched 100...

Here's my transalation, coming from someone who pitched but topped out a good 16-20 mph slower than what Bundy throws. If you can "touch 100" on your fastball, you don't need to "lean on" your cutter in the minors, your fastball is your "lean on" pitch. His curveball is apparently very good, and his changeup is "solid."

I've always been of the opinion that if you have an above average changeup, you really only need three pitches. It you throw flat, then maybe you can try adding a splitter to get more ground balls, but a cutter should be able to do that as well, if thrown as well as Bundy supposedly does. You know what else can overcome throwing a flat fastball? Throwing it damn near 100 mph. You think Aroldis Chapman gives a **** whether his fastball stays level? I'm not personally invested, but as someone who played baseball for many years and spent a lot of time developing myself as a pitcher, I hate seeing that kind of God-given talent screwed around with. Put him on a "cutter limit" if you really don't want him reliant on the pitch, but eliminate it entirely?

What are they going to have him replace it with? He's already got four pitches, how many do the Orioles think he needs? Tim Wakefield basically made a career with one pitch. Strasburg only throws three pitches predominantly, depending on the hitter. Randy Johnson only used three. I know I'm citing people with either long careers or high expectations, but that's what's on Bundy, and I don't think he needs to be messed with. It doesn't help that while Duquette has built some nice teams in the past, he hasn't presided over and champions or anything. Leave Dylan Bundy alone!!

I definitely see where your coming from and it helps that you were a pitcher. I think maybe Duquette had seen something with our farm system in regards to pitchers. We really haven't been able to develop any aces in a long time, so maybe this is Duquette changing things up to see what happens. Now it's not like Bundy will forget to throw his cutter. Maybe he'll still use it once he gets called up for good. But I don't see too much harm and having him try to work on his fastball and his secondary pitches.

---------- Post added April-2nd-2013 at 01:26 PM ----------

If we lose this series the season is over.

Lol the season is officially back now!

Did you wikipedia the Cutter? Apparently it has it's pros and cons not to mention no other organization is teaching the pitch throughout their organizations.

Archived