Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the likelihood of RG3 returning at full strength next season?

AJ Down at the One

I have no doubt he will be back and better than before this year. :beavisnbutthead:

Agreed. With Robert's drive and work ethic, I believe he'll be ready for week 1. and there will be ZERO signs of a gruesome knee injury just 8 months earlier. :)

There is a thread on how he is, yes. But instead of mocking him you could maybe discuss (like it says) the likelihood of him being at full strength. Easily comparing other athletes injuries and timelines, or how close to (or beyond their recovery was to their ability prior).

But, using the most compared player/situation, AP.. I would be confident for many reasons he will be back to full strength or possibly better. Both used the same doctor and strategy. AP's knee seems to have been damaged a lot more and not only the nature of his position (RB) but more on HOW he plays it, makes his near record breaking season that much more hopefull RGIII should have no reason to do the same.

Where I think RGIII could be even better, is the possibility that his previous surgery wasn't very good and now his knee will be all around stronger. AP ran a lot harder and seemed more "vicious' this season and was fine... So, I am in the mindset of him being at least as good as last year.

Here is an article looking at RG3's injury compared to Adrian Peterson's. It also addresses the likelihood of Griffin returning at full strength:

http://www.downattheone.com/NFL

Comments, thoughts?

RG3 will be back but must change his style of play and stay in the pocket most of the time. This will be a line problem

not a QB problem. He has a great arm and judgement. Get 3 top WR's to go with Moss and he will be just fine. I would go after Long in free agency for

the line support we need and use our top two draft picks for WR,s. This is going to be a good team for a long time.

---------- Post added February-13th-2013 at 10:53 AM ----------

Here is an article looking at RG3's injury compared to Adrian Peterson's. It also addresses the likelihood of Griffin returning at full strength:

http://www.downattheone.com/NFL

Comments, thoughts?

RG3 will be back but must change his style of play and stay in the pocket most of the time. This will be a line problem

not a QB problem. He has a great arm and judgement. Get 3 top WR's to go with Moss and he will be just fine. I would go after Long in free agency for

the line support we need and use our top two draft picks for WR,s. This is going to be a good team for a long time.

I don't agree with him needing to "stay in the pocket", nor that he has "good judgement". I think he just needs to learn how to "live to fight another day" so to speak.. So many times he takes unneccesary risks, doesn't just throw the ball out of bounds, etc. There are also many times he could simply step out of bounds or slide much earlier but he doesn't.

Seriously though, he won't be 100% until the 2014 offseason (most ppl will agree that the offseason the following season is the date of full recovery). However, sitting out an entire season if he can be effective is not smart either.

If he plays and is looking like how he did late last season, then sit him. But he needs in-game action IMO because he hasn't been in sync in a while.

I don't get this weird fascination with the pocket as being some "safe zone". QBs in the pocket generally aren't really any more safe than outside of it (sometimes LESS safe since they stay planted and can get hit low easier which is how lots of knee injuries usually happen). I do think he will likely do less designed running but part of what makes him such a unique talent is that his arm and legs are both elite; I don't see any reason to take that facet away from his game. Limit it more and get him to be smarter about getting out of bounce, etc? Yes. Get rid of it and make him a pure "pocket passer"? Not necessary.

And what do you mean by "Get 3 top WRs to go with Moss"? You want us to get an additional 3 WRs? Where? And no way are we getting Jake Long; we don't even need him. He is a pure LT and we already have a guy who is tops in the NFL at LT. We need a quality RT.

I for one am happy for the new thread for this article. I never would have seen it if it had been posted in the How is RGIII thread because I never go there anymore. Why? Because it gets so off topic and has such a lack of updates that it is useless. Articles and updates get lost for me.

I don't get this weird fascination with the pocket as being some "safe zone". QBs in the pocket generally aren't really any more safe than outside of it (sometimes LESS safe since they stay planted and can get hit low easier which is how lots of knee injuries usually happen). I do think he will likely do less designed running but part of what makes him such a unique talent is that his arm and legs are both elite; I don't see any reason to take that facet away from his game. Limit it more and get him to be smarter about getting out of bounce, etc? Yes. Get rid of it and make him a pure "pocket passer"? Not necessary. [/Quote]

You make a good point -

Carson Palmer:

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=niRk1Fq3oX8AOM&tbnid=_I9Jm8gY_raCuM:&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.espn.go.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2Fstory%3Fid%3D2290916&ei=G8kbUYCIM-W90QGbxoGACw&psig=AFQjCNEn2rKrekgy-iyC0WjR13yHJvNOrQ&ust=1360861832101693

Tom Brady:

23141054.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger:

medium_b68d1eb88dff8666f1548fb9e8f4b215.jpg

What do they have in common? They were all in the pocket. This fallacy that pocket QBs are so much safer from injury is just wrong, particularly knee injuries! Linemen falling all over the ground around the QBs feet... Offensive, defensive, it don't matter.

You make a good point - What do they have in common? They were all in the pocket. This fallacy that pocket QBs are so much safer from injury is just wrong, particularly knee injuries! Linemen falling all over the ground around the QBs feet... Offensive, defensive, it don't matter.

Don't forget our notorious Monday night event... Joe was in the pocket, too.

For me, the only "fascination with the pocket" that I have is that I want Griffin to be just as dangerous throwing the ball in a traditional drop back situation as he is throwing on the move or running with the ball. Not because I think it staying in the pocket will extend his career, but because being able to play from the pocket will. I would love to see Griffin having the following type of career:

Ages 22-28ish he will be ridiculously versatile and explosive, similar to Steve Young, but more dangerous

Ages 29-33ish he will be able to run the traditional Shanahan offense with roll outs and picking up yardage with his legs, similar to Aaron Rodgers or John Elway

Ages 34-38ish he will be a pocket passer, similar to how Randall Cunningham had a couple great years after he had lost some of his pure speed and elusiveness

So, I want him to be able to do anything out of the QB position. He's already fantastic in most phases of the game, but even great QBs can improve. I expect this kid to revolutionize the position. Not only because of his legs, but because I don't believe that there is anything he can't do.

I don't think you can compare the two. They play 2 very different position and run very very different. Robert is a straight ahead, run around you type of runner where AP is start/stop start runner. One puts a huge amount of stress on the knees and the other puts a mild amount of stress on the knee. Robert should be able to play, he may not be what he was early on last year, but he will have his speed and be able to plant and throw. I would really like to see a bit more of a pocket based pass attack for the first few weeks of the season with just 1-2 option runs a game this fall.

I don't think you can compare the two. They play 2 very different position and run very very different. Robert is a straight ahead, run around you type of runner where AP is start/stop start runner. One puts a huge amount of stress on the knees and the other puts a mild amount of stress on the knee. Robert should be able to play, he may not be what he was early on last year, but he will have his speed and be able to plant and throw. I would really like to see a bit more of a pocket based pass attack for the first few weeks of the season with just 1-2 option runs a game this fall.

I think comparing the 2 is completely logical to do, in the case where (Skins fans) are concerned. AP's recovery and ability after makes the case for RGIII to be just fine- less of an injury, less stress and impact down the road.

RGIII will probably be capable of playing sometime this year. When, I do not know, but the general timetable puts him at being cleared to play sometime around the start of the season. That is, of course, very much up in the air.

It is important to remember though that RGIII's arm is incredibly strong, accurate, but also capable of impressive touch, allowing him to get receivers the ball anywhere. Many believe he can't throw that well due to his rushing stats, but he most certainly can throw, and we'll see that this year.

However, if he does play, he likely will not be asked to run on any designed runs, which is fine. The key problem we will face there is that teams will feel free to A) pass-rush more, and B) cover in man more.

To counter-act this, we'll need a lot of quick passes, or alternatively, an O-line playing lights out allowing time in the pocket. To this end, bringing back Davis is important, getting Garcon to 100% is important, and upgrading RT is important. It also might benefit us to look into another playmaking WR, but I think Hankerson probably keeps developing making that unnecessary, adding a RB that can catch the ball and speed off (like Helu, but he may not be healthy) is more important than another WR IMO.

Archived