Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

nomachetejuggling.com - The Star Wars Saga: Introducing Machete Order - In interesting order in which to consider watching the Star Wars films

Springfield

Because of that I've never seen any of Revenge of the Sith.

Does it have better acting? Are the special effects so great that it's worth seeing? Does the Obi/Ani fight not seem to drag on as much as it should, given how much time it takes? Are the Ani/Padme scenes better than in the other 2 films? I'm just trying to find some redeeming quality so I don't go into the movie dreading it deep down, knowing it will be a waste of time. Come on guys, I want to believe.

I'm not sure I understand your mentality here. You have an opportunity to watch a movie and develop your own opinion but you'd rather have others tell you their impression of the acting, script, etc.? Wouldn't it be easier to spend the 2.5 hours to just watch it and then see if you like it?

Die hard crazy fan here. And yes, I like all the movies. Even the bad ones. :)

I actually don't have a problem with the OP. I've thought for years that the story of episodes 2 and 3 should have been spread out and made into the first three movies. That said, there is one reason to watch episode 1 ... if you're going to watch the movies.

Episode 1 shows The Old Republic in it's glory, before it starts to crumble and before the Jedi's power starts to diminish. It's the end of the Golden Age ... before the Dark Times ... before The Empire ... and as a fan it's cool to see. It also makes the fall of the Republic and rise of the Empire, and how the settings get dirtier and less perfect as the series progresses, more pronounced. That said, it is easily the worst of the series and can be skipped for the reasons stated in the OP.

I really liked episode 3. I agree that Vader's 'nooooo' was terrible, and not necessary. He could have just let out a primal scream or something. The 'no' was beyond cheesy. Also, Padme's death was lame. Her character deserved better. The rest of it I liked.

Oh, and the Special Edition stuff is garbage. I have the original versions copied off laserdisc and those are the only versions I'll ever watch.

Good points Henry.

In some ways, I wish they did Episode 1 set VERY far back to give the context that you describe. It could have been about Yoda or something. Having the Republic look like it did and then have it deteriorate to its Episode IV state in 20ish years seems extremely rushed. Episodes II and III should have been the story line for the prequel trilogy as it pertains to Skywalker.

Oh, and the Special Edition stuff is garbage. I have the original versions copied off laserdisc and those are the only versions I'll ever watch.

I can agree with that for the most part. I think there are choice scenes here and there that were improved in the special editions, but those are rare enough that they don't even begin to make up for the scenes that got mucked up.

I'm not sure I understand your mentality here. You have an opportunity to watch a movie and develop your own opinion but you'd rather have others tell you their impression of the acting, script, etc.? Wouldn't it be easier to spend the 2.5 hours to just watch it and then see if you like it?

It's not about having them influence my opinion so much as them convincing me it's not a waste of time. It's the same with almost any movie I see. Convince me that Transformers 3 isn't a steaming ****pile and maybe I'll watch it. Tell me why Paranormal Activity 7 wouldn't be a colossal waste of my time. I haven't watched any of the spoof movies in the "X Movie" genre (Scary Movie, Epic Movie, etc.) since Scary Movie 2, because they all look like they suck. Because of that, I don't want to waste my time to find out I was right. It's just easier for me to assume I'm right and see something different that looks like I would enjoy it.

That's all I'm asking for with this. I keep hearing that Ep. III was the best of the prequels. Alright, but I hated Phantom Menace outside of the Darth Maul fight, and I just couldn't get into Clones at all. Plus, 2 1/2 hours? Jeez, I can barely watch movies that I enjoy for that long. :ols: And it's hard to be objective by this point anyway. Between common complaints about the movie, to the Red Letter Media "Plinkett" reviews, I've heard plenty of reasons not to see it. I'm just looking for somebody to tell me why Sith is at least good enough to be worst 2 1/2 hours of my time.

Not everybody like the original Star Wars trilogy, and that's fine. But when you say a particular movie in the franchise is better than the rest, I want some analysis why. As a 27 year old male, should I have to watch all of the Twilight movies before forming an opinion? Or since I'm clearly not the target demographic, is it easier to just assume it's bad unless somebody can convince me otherwise and save myself 10 or so hours?

It's not about having them influence my opinion so much as them convincing me it's not a waste of time. It's the same with almost any movie I see. Convince me that Transformers 3 isn't a steaming ****pile and maybe I'll watch it. Tell me why Paranormal Activity 7 wouldn't be a colossal waste of my time. I haven't watched any of the spoof movies in the "X Movie" genre (Scary Movie, Epic Movie, etc.) since Scary Movie 2, because they all look like they suck. Because of that, I don't want to waste my time to find out I was right. It's just easier for me to assume I'm right and see something different that looks like I would enjoy it.

That's all I'm asking for with this. I keep hearing that Ep. III was the best of the prequels. Alright, but I hated Phantom Menace outside of the Darth Maul fight, and I just couldn't get into Clones at all. Plus, 2 1/2 hours? Jeez, I can barely watch movies that I enjoy for that long. :ols: And it's hard to be objective by this point anyway. Between common complaints about the movie, to the Red Letter Media "Plinkett" reviews, I've heard plenty of reasons not to see it. I'm just looking for somebody to tell me why Sith is at least good enough to be worst 2 1/2 hours of my time.

Not everybody like the original Star Wars trilogy, and that's fine. But when you say a particular movie in the franchise is better than the rest, I want some analysis why. As a 27 year old male, should I have to watch all of the Twilight movies before forming an opinion? Or since I'm clearly not the target demographic, is it easier to just assume it's bad unless somebody can convince me otherwise and save myself 10 or so hours?

No I hear you. But you've posted on this board several times about it. I know that takes minutes, but I have to assume you can find a couple hours to just watch the movie without needing some Internet guy's thesis about why it's worth your while.

Check out the links in the OP to the Harmy Despecialized Editions. Or this thread: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?360132-Attn-Star-Wars-Fans-THESE-are-the-versions-you-ve-been-looking-for-%28Screened-Behind-the-Scenes-of-Harmy-s-Star-Wars-quot-Despecialized-Editions-quot-%29

Much of it should be better quality image than whatever you have copied off laserdisc.

In reality, if you bash the prequels, then you need to bash Return Of The Jedi, which would mean that the only "True" Star Wars films were IV and V.

In my mind, those are the only two good ones anyway. ROTJ is fun, and silly as the Ewoks are the battle scenes make up for it.

the prequels,, ugh. Just awful

~Bang

So again, it would be great to see someone actually articulate this argument about what makes Episode III better than IV or V.

I'm also wondering about this. Episode 3 had the same terrible cast, awful acting, special effects, and plot holes as the first two prequels. I can't even understand what would make it any better than those, let alone the originals.

So again, it would be great to see someone actually articulate this argument about what makes Episode III better than IV or V.

My only guess is generational. Looking in comparison the originals do look like much older movies, even with the CGI upgrades. In comparison with the James Bond series, I grew up with Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnon. So I prefer those movies to the Sean Connery ones. But people I know who grew up watching the Connery Bond flicks think I'm crazy and think the Connery ones are far better.

Die hard crazy fan here. And yes, I like all the movies. Even the bad ones. :)

I actually don't have a problem with the OP. I've thought for years that the story of episodes 2 and 3 should have been spread out and made into the first three movies. That said, there is one reason to watch episode 1 ... if you're going to watch the movies.

Episode 1 shows The Old Republic in it's glory, before it starts to crumble and before the Jedi's power starts to diminish. It's the end of the Golden Age ... before the Dark Times ... before The Empire ... and as a fan it's cool to see. It also makes the fall of the Republic and rise of the Empire, and how the settings get dirtier and less perfect as the series progresses, more pronounced. That said, it is easily the worst of the series and can be skipped for the reasons stated in the OP.

I really liked episode 3. I agree that Vader's 'nooooo' was terrible, and not necessary. He could have just let out a primal scream or something. The 'no' was beyond cheesy. Also, Padme's death was lame. Her character deserved better. The rest of it I liked.

How can laserdisc be better than blu-ray? I know record LPs are better than anything, but Laserdisc was really just a huge standard defininition DVD.

---------- Post added January-25th-2013 at 08:39 PM ----------

My only guess is generational. Looking in comparison the originals do look like much older movies, even with the CGI upgrades. In comparison with the James Bond series, I grew up with Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnon. So I prefer those movies to the Sean Connery ones. But people I know who grew up watching the Connery Bond flicks think I'm crazy and think the Connery ones are far better.

While I think Roger Moore and Connery were awesome, I never thought Timothy Dalton did bad either.

How can laserdisc be better than blu-ray? I know record LPs are better than anything, but Laserdisc was really just a huge standard defininition DVD.

He was not referencing video quality. He was referring to the fact that the Laser Discs were the best quality version of the movies before the Special Edition stuff was added.

I have heard people talk about the Laser Disc versions before and wonder how they are better than the ones released on DVD a few years ago without the Special Edition material. Laser Disc is an analog format. I would imagine that the DVD's would be better. Maybe Lucas didn't give a crap and the DVD's are a bad transfer or something.

He was not referencing video quality. He was referring to the fact that the Laser Discs were the best quality version of the movies before the Special Edition stuff was added.

I have heard people talk about the Laser Disc versions before and wonder how they are better than the ones released on DVD a few years ago without the Special Edition material. Laser Disc is an analog format. I would imagine that the DVD's would be better. Maybe Lucas didn't give a crap and the DVD's are a bad transfer or something.

From what I've read, the DVD transfers are beyond awful. They started with the laserdisc, and the images are degraded from the transfer, not improved. Things that would be extremely obvious to non-videophiles. Space scenes that look brown, etc. You can find reviews on Amazon and other places, and they're terrible.

The Harmy Despecialized Editions appear to be the best video quality of the originals (no special edition stuff) out there.

I'm still really hoping someone will chime back in and explain how Ep. III was better than the original trilogy. And not just to say they're wrong. I watched Phantom Menace in theaters, and as a result I never had the urge to watch Clones or Sith. I've seen Attack of the Clones by this point, but never in one sitting. It's been on TV (mostly Spike) so much in the last year that I've seen almost all of Clones just by catching random parts here and there while trying to find something else to watch. And I just never got into it. Because of that I've never seen any of Revenge of the Sith. And so far that's the only Star Wars movie I haven't seen. But I just can't bring myself to watch it. I was really hoping somebody would justify why it's so good, but nobody who thinks it is seems to want to defend it.

Does it have better acting? Are the special effects so great that it's worth seeing? Does the Obi/Ani fight not seem to drag on as much as it should, given how much time it takes? Are the Ani/Padme scenes better than in the other 2 films? I'm just trying to find some redeeming quality so I don't go into the movie dreading it deep down, knowing it will be a waste of time. Come on guys, I want to believe.

I'll take a shot at answering you. But first, I am an ardent fan of the series. I saw IV in the theaters before it WAS IV. I saw it 15 - 20 times. I waited in line for hours to see V and VI. When Episode I was announced, I was really excited. My excitement didn't last long into the movie. That whole story could have been told in the same way that the narrator told the back story in Lord of the Rings, ut to the point of Gandolf coming to the Shire.

Anyway, IV is, was and always will be my favorite. In all it's various forms. I actually liked what Lucas did in the special editions. That was stuff he wanted to do in the first place, but budget and lack of technology to do it prevented him.

Episode II - Was a lot better than I, although a lot of the dialog between Anakin and Padme was AWFUL. Yoda rocked.

Episode III - I was waiting to get into the theater to see this movie, in the corridor in front of the theater doors on opening day. The previous show was in progress, but when the doors opened and the people came out, they all (and I mean ALL) had an odd look on their faces. None of them were saying a word. They just walked out. I commented to the lady standing next to me that I wasn't sure what to think about that; she was looking at them too and agreed with me that it was kinda odd.

As the movie went on, I found myself lost in the visuals, and the emotions. Yes, some of the dialog lines were, well...off. Some of the acting was bad, but overall it wasn't awful. When Anakin was dubbed "Darth Vader" I couldn't help myself in thinking "Anakin, NOOOO" lol. You knew it was going to happen, but you still hoped he wouldn't do it.

The last 40 minutes or so of the movie were something to see in the theater. Even though some of the lines and acting were still "not great", when Obi-Wan defeated Vader, you could feel his torment and angst. Later, when Vader's mask went on, his helmet attached, I could actually hear the entire audience hold it's breath. There was no sound at all that wasn't part of the movie. When I heard that first Darth Vader breath, I actually got goose bumps.

Those last 40 minutes were overwhelming. The "NOOOO" was a little underwhelming, but at the time it seemed insignificant.

When I left the theater, I noticed people looking at us as we walked out; I wasn't sure why. My house was about an hour away from the theater, so I stopped about a mile down the road to get a cup of coffee. It was while I was fixing the coffee that I realized that all of us in the theater left the same way that the first audience did, in some kind of "fog". None of us had said a word and we all must have had that same odd look on our faces, which is why the next audience was looking at us, just as we had looked at the audience before us.

So I guess I didn't explain why some think that III was better than IV. I don't think it was, but it is one of my favorites of the series. I hope you can get a little of why I feel that way.

So I guess I didn't explain why some think that III was better than IV. I don't think it was, but it is one of my favorites of the series. I hope you can get a little of why I feel that way.

I appreciate the effort you put into that. I was hoping there was a better answer than "CGI" or "Lightsaber fight!" and it looks like there is.

... when Vader's mask went on, his helmet attached, I could actually hear the entire audience hold it's breath. There was no sound at all that wasn't part of the movie. When I heard that first Darth Vader breath, I actually got goose bumps.

And just imaging how all of us would have felt about Ep III if that was the ending. They put the mask on, fade to black while you hear that breath... pretty awesome.

That some of you think EPIII was the best of the series is laughable. It was definitely the most "epic" of the series, but there's so much cringe-worthy acting and dialoge, it ruins it for me, just like the rest of the prequels. The CGI sets look horribly dated, even now. General Grevious is just Jar-jark binks with a mask and lightsabers. Padme actually died of a broken heart. Are you kidding me?!?! NONE of the prequels were any good. EPIII just had some good action scenes.

In my opinion, the only truly good star wars movies were Eps IV and V. You can whine all you want about the SE editions, but hte truth of the matter is, the original special effects in the movies look horribly dated. Still, blending with CGI effects doesnt look particularly natural either. Its just something that cant be avoided when watching a 35 year old movies. You just have to pick your poison.

Ideally, what id like to see is the OT to be released in their theatrical forms. The only reason i want this is to shut up all you whiny little b!tches. Then, have Disney re-make EPs I-VI. That way, we'll have movies that are part of the same story, but look visually similar to EPs VII-IX (which im convinced will be awesome). I'd love to see a complete re-telling of the rise and fall of anakin skywalker without jake lloyd, jar jar binks, pod-racing, midichlorians, a ridiculously cheesy and poorly acted lovestory, dry bland acting, general grevious, or freaking ewoks. At some point, the movies are going to be re-made. It might seem like sacrilige, but its going to happen eventually. We cant go 10 years without rebooting spiderman or batman, so its honestly surprising it hasnt been done already.

Speaking of EPs VII-IX, why are we whining about the prequels when we just found out JJ fracking abrams is direction EPVII? Im so excited to see what he does with the movie and hopefully he will stay on to oversee VIII and IX like he's doing with the Mission impossible series.

I wasn't alive back then, but everytime I watch episode IV, I wonder how many people in the movie theatre saw "Episode IV" and thought to themselve, "Hmmm... I haven't seen the first one yet, am I in the right spot?"

I thought the lightsaber duel in the lava river was way overdone, just like most of the CGI in the prequels. Felt like I was watching some Spiderman ****. His limbs getting chopped off was pretty badass, it's the only part of Episode III that really gives me goosebumps. I can go without the prequels for the rest of my life, just give me IV, V and VI.

I'll take a shot at answering you. But first, I am an ardent fan of the series. I saw IV in the theaters before it WAS IV. I saw it 15 - 20 times. I waited in line for hours to see V and VI. When Episode I was announced, I was really excited. My excitement didn't last long into the movie. That whole story could have been told in the same way that the narrator told the back story in Lord of the Rings, ut to the point of Gandolf coming to the Shire.

Anyway, IV is, was and always will be my favorite. In all it's various forms. I actually liked what Lucas did in the special editions. That was stuff he wanted to do in the first place, but budget and lack of technology to do it prevented him.

Episode II - Was a lot better than I, although a lot of the dialog between Anakin and Padme was AWFUL. Yoda rocked.

Episode III - I was waiting to get into the theater to see this movie, in the corridor in front of the theater doors on opening day. The previous show was in progress, but when the doors opened and the people came out, they all (and I mean ALL) had an odd look on their faces. None of them were saying a word. They just walked out. I commented to the lady standing next to me that I wasn't sure what to think about that; she was looking at them too and agreed with me that it was kinda odd.

As the movie went on, I found myself lost in the visuals, and the emotions. Yes, some of the dialog lines were, well...off. Some of the acting was bad, but overall it wasn't awful. When Anakin was dubbed "Darth Vader" I couldn't help myself in thinking "Anakin, NOOOO" lol. You knew it was going to happen, but you still hoped he wouldn't do it.

The last 40 minutes or so of the movie were something to see in the theater. Even though some of the lines and acting were still "not great", when Obi-Wan defeated Vader, you could feel his torment and angst. Later, when Vader's mask went on, his helmet attached, I could actually hear the entire audience hold it's breath. There was no sound at all that wasn't part of the movie. When I heard that first Darth Vader breath, I actually got goose bumps.

Those last 40 minutes were overwhelming. The "NOOOO" was a little underwhelming, but at the time it seemed insignificant.

When I left the theater, I noticed people looking at us as we walked out; I wasn't sure why. My house was about an hour away from the theater, so I stopped about a mile down the road to get a cup of coffee. It was while I was fixing the coffee that I realized that all of us in the theater left the same way that the first audience did, in some kind of "fog". None of us had said a word and we all must have had that same odd look on our faces, which is why the next audience was looking at us, just as we had looked at the audience before us.

So basically, you like EP III, not because of its own merits, but because you finally witnessed something you'd been imagining for 30 years of your life.

None of the prequel trilogy movies were good movies. Had these movies been made first (meaning Luca's first star wars movie was TPM in 1999 and EPIV-VI had not been made yet), i think most, if not all adults, would look at them as poorly made, fantasy versions of the Fifth Element. Thats why i'm ridiculously excited about JJ Abrams taking on EPVII. We will have a new star wars movies thats good on its own merits.

So basically, you like EP III, not because of its own merits, but because you finally witnessed something you'd been imagining for 30 years of your life.

None of the prequel trilogy movies were good movies. Had these movies been made first (meaning Luca's first star wars movie was TPM in 1999 and EPIV-VI had not been made yet), i think most, if not all adults, would look at them as poorly made, fantasy versions of the Fifth Element. Thats why i'm ridiculously excited about JJ Abrams taking on EPVII. We will have a new star wars movies thats good on its own merits.

As someone who also was around for the first theatrical release of Star Wars, who also saw it in the theaters before the opening crawl had "Episode IV" I wasn't expecting much for Ep III. Episode I was terrible, and the acting/dialog in II more or less ruined it for me. (Anakins and Padme's dinner scene was one of the worst scenes ever made and "I truly, deeply..." gag, choke, I can't even type the rest).

But count me in as someone who enjoyed III. Not my fav, by anymeans. But some of you are being too harsh. I went in to it expecting bad dialog and acting, but was looking forward to the story. I cringed at some of the dialog. And Vader's "NOOOO!" made me want to hang my head. But those things aside, it was still a good STORY.

I am often amazed that so many hate on I, II, and III just because it wasn't they way they wanted it to be or the movie they would have made. All that just sounds like sour grapes to me. I remember when Ep I first came out, I commented to a co-worker that if Ep. I was actually the first released, there wouldn't be any others. It made money on the coat-tails of the first trilogy. So I fully understand how some of you feel. But don't get mad a Lucas just for making the movies he wanted to make. It was his story, his studio, and his dream.

Archived