Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Milloy: Redskins’ bad karma comes from offensive name

E-Dog Night

I have no problem with changing the name which is in fact racist- red skin! I mean, we lost "bullets" and the "senators" but not their history. If we change the name of the skins-we won't lose anything but a moniker. There could e a huge contest for renaming the team-just keep the colors! This is a new Century and new era of winning- why not change the name? Bottom line is money! The brand brings in a lot of dough. But sooner or later it will have to change-so why not have fun with it!

For those not clicking the article, you'll be glad to know that there is an upcoming panel discussing this and other Native American names/images in sports. It will be at the smithsonian national museum of the American Indian. One of the panelists will be UnWise Mike, he who never shuts up about this either....he of the recently canceled radio program.

Unfortunately I wasted a few minutes of my life by clicking the link...

I did however peruse the comments and it seems the only people who seem to argue that it is an offensive names AREN'T even Native Americans....

So tired of this....they need to just let it go...

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 09:36 AM ----------

I mean, we lost "bullets" and the "senators" !

Umm..pretty sure the Senators relocated....and the Nationals are a brand new team..

This man has an agenda.

From January 2011: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/04/AR2011010405217.html

After a recent visit to the National Museum of the American Indian on the Mall, I'm wondering how much longer our city will tolerate having a football team known as "Redskins."

It's a racist name, patently offensive - and the incongruence is simply ridiculous: a world-class institution devoted to showcasing Native American heritage in a city whose leading sports franchise makes a mockery of that heritage.

A film now showing at the museum, called "Reel Injun," chronicles more than a hundred years of insidious depictions of Native Americans in movies. We have been woefully misinformed, and our kids are still being brainwashed.

Walt Disney mythmakers would have them believe that Pocahontas was some Westernized siren in a sultry dress and not the 9-year-old girl that she really was when John Smith took an interest in her.

Bugs Bunny and Popeye are still killing off the "sneaky savages."

John Wayne can still be heard yelling: "The only good Indian is a dead Indian."

In our minds, Geronimo was Chuck Conners spray painted red - which, as a Native American comedian noted in the film, made about as much sense as "Adam Sandler portraying Malcolm X."

Enough already.

Having slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Indians, we romanticize the tragedy by turning Native Americans into sports mascots - feasting vicariously on their vanquished souls.

We think "Redskins" is a term of endearment while thinking little, if at all, of events such as Wounded Knee - the massacre of men, women and children by U.S. troops in South Dakota that epitomized the depth of animosity toward Indians.

Little wonder that the 120th anniversary of the massacre, on Dec. 29, passed virtually unnoticed.

Ask yourself: Why is it okay to use "redskins" but not, say, "blackskins" or "whiteskins"? Suppose some team chose as its mascot a spear-chucking Mandingo warrior who ran up and down the sidelines in a diaper? No way.

When Mexico released a stamp portraying its version of a Little Black Sambo character, African Americans flexed their international muscle and the stamp was withdrawn. The Mexicans said they loved the character and were simply honoring him with a stamp.

Apparently that line of reasoning only works when you're offending Native Americans.

"I see the name of the team and all of the imagery as being a continuation of a process than began a long time ago to define us in a very limited way, as less than human, in order to rationalize the dispossession," said Kevin Gover, director of the Museum of the American Indian, a Pawnee who grew up in Oklahoma. "It is a slur, a word that was used to degrade us, hurt our feelings and make us angry."

So far, dozens of Native American organizations have joined in no fewer than seven lawsuits protesting the team's name. Some of them, including a refiled lawsuit that was dismissed last year on a technicality, are expected to be tried in federal court this year.

But why wait for the law to make us do the right thing?

Gover hastens to point out that just because fans cheer for the home team doesn't make them racist. Given the centuries of brainwashing by the media, some people may just be ill-informed.

"We don't believe anyone means us harm," Gover said. "On the other hand, once people know that the name is offensive, and they continue using it, you have to wonder about their intentions."

We all know that the Washington football team needs a new identity - that something has sapped the team spirit and depleted the will to win.

Look how awful they treat one another? It's as if the team is suffering from the same negation of humanity that is symbolized by the use of that faceless "redskin" image.

"No franchise wants to face that it's built a losing culture or pampered its big stars or that it simply has no identity," wrote The Post's Thomas Boswell in January of last year. "Nobody wants to say, 'We failed.' "

It's long past time to say it. Put that logo in a museum and create a new brand. Change the name.

Let me just say, at some point, I see them changing the name. To be honest, I'll probably find a way to live with it.

But one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard is this whole karmic justice thing with regards to the name, which is OBV offensive to some. Where was this bad juju thirty years ago?

It's not some unholy spirit, that's cursing the team. It's the owner IMO and the culture he's produced since he took over the team.

I have no problem with changing the name which is in fact racist- red skin! I mean, we lost "bullets" and the "senators" but not their history. If we change the name of the skins-we won't lose anything but a moniker. There could e a huge contest for renaming the team-just keep the colors! This is a new Century and new era of winning- why not change the name? Bottom line is money! The brand brings in a lot of dough. But sooner or later it will have to change-so why not have fun with it!

save the name. Put a potato on the helmet

1360218471_985fbacdf5.jpg

RG3 had a injury at Baylor because the name "Bears" is so offensive.

Milloy has a point. "Redskins" is too offensive a name. "Bears" is too threatening a name.

What we should do is change our name to something soft and cuddly. You know, something totally inoffensive and not threatening at all.

How about "Cubs"?

I mean, how could ANY bad karma be associated with a team that names itself after something small, furry and adorable as a baby cub?

Right?

big-cubbie.gif

Oh, geesh.

:doh:

As a black man myself, I mean this with due respect: "Shut your cornball *** up Courtland!"

Does he even realize that the term Redskins is not even subjecting towards anything of his heritage so I can see why he would even have an agenda towards. Has this RG3 thing really gotten the Post that bent over to have one ******** article after another come out even after how we end this season.

What a sick world we live in.

I guess the karma gods hate the name Vikings also because they caused their star runningback to blow out his knee last year, their star QB to hurt his elbow this year and have never let them win a SB. The marauding band of norwegien killers are now getting their just deserts.
Don't mess with those guys in Valhalla, they hold a grudge, I mean 0-4 in Super Bowls? Geez, who angered the Bison gods to send Buffalo to the same record. :ols:

Archived