Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

Could they? I think that's only true if Orakpo wanted only a moderate salary increase, but if he and the Redskins view him as an elite pass rusher and want to pay him in that echelon or maybe a notch below because of injury and hometown discount... what do the top pass rushers average per year? 8, 9 10 million or more? How could we average that down?

You may be right. I haven't done the math, but it seems like it would be a tough contract to make fit given our constraints. Williams possibly less so because he is making a huge amount this year.

It would require a very large bonus in comparison to his base salary. I'm not a cap wizard but I've heard it explained around these parts before in regards to Orakpo.

Could they? I think that's only true if Orakpo wanted only a moderate salary increase, but if he and the Redskins view him as an elite pass rusher and want to pay him in that echelon or maybe a notch below because of injury and hometown discount... what do the top pass rushers average per year? 8, 9 10 million or more? How could we average that down?

You may be right. I haven't done the math, but it seems like it would be a tough contract to make fit given our constraints. Williams possibly less so because he is making a huge amount this year.

they could. They could give him bonus money that has to be accounted for somewhere on the life of the contract along with the base salary. But they could structure his money for this year down to something more managable... even though I think his cap hit this year is only $2 mil or so.

So, I'd be fired up for an extension (especially a fair one) but he doesn't have a contract that is hurting us by any means in terms of money that needs to be spread out.

they could. They could give him bonus money that has to be accounted for somewhere on the life of the contract along with the base salary. But they could structure his money for this year down to something more managable... even though I think his cap hit this year is only $2 mil or so.

So, I'd be fired up for an extension (especially a fair one) but he doesn't have a contract that is hurting us by any means in terms of money that needs to be spread out.

This is what Spotrac.com has for his contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/brian-orakpo/

Year..........BaseS.............Bonus................Misc.......................Cap Hit...................Dead

2009..........888,000...........700,000...............XXXX .....................1,588,000

2010..........395,000............700,000...............4,457,000...............5,552,000

2011..........525,000............700,000...............852,000..................2,077,000

2012..........765,000............700,000...............1,289,000...............2,754,000

2013..........2,810,000...........700,000...............1,599,000...............5,109,000..........2,130,000

Everyone's disagreeing with me so I'm inclined to believe I'm wrong, but it's had to believe that we can get a deal worth less than 2m a year with the current rules. For example, doesn't the signing bonus have to be equal or less than the first three years salary? I thought they'd tighten the rules to prevent min salaries that balloon exponentially in the last few years tied to an enormous bonus.

Everyone's disagreeing with me so I'm inclined to believe I'm wrong, but it's had to believe that we can get a deal worth less than 2m a year with the current rules. For example, doesn't the signing bonus have to be equal or less than the first three years salary? I thought they'd tighten the rules to prevent min salaries that balloon exponentially in the last few years tied to an enormous bonus.

I said for this year we can get it down to a cap hit less than 2 mil. But that money has to be accounted for somewhere in the contract. I don't know if it's worth it to touch his contract because it's not that bad of a hit. But I'm in favor of extending him.

---------- Post added May-7th-2013 at 10:02 AM ----------

This is what Spotrac.com has for his contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/brian-orakpo/

Year BaseS. Bonus Misc. Cap Hit Dead

2009 888,000 700,000 1,588,000

2010 395,000 700,000 4,457,000 5,552,000

2011 525,000 700,000 852,000 2,077,000

2012 765,000 700,000 1,289,000 2,754,000

2013 2,810,000 700,000 1,599,000 5,109,000 2,130,000

So his base is 2.8 and the dead makes it 5.1... not much you can do about the dead money because it's already been paid, but tinkering with the 2.8 that's available to **** with really isn't worth it to me. You're not going to save that much money.

But how long do we extend Orakpo? I say for 3 years. I am one of those who would like to see us wait until sometime during the preseason, just before the season starts to see how he holds up. JMO. Thoughts?

But how long do we extend Orakpo? I say for 3 years. I am one of those who would like to see us wait until sometime during the preseason, just before the season starts to see how he holds up. JMO. Thoughts?

If we extend him it will be for 5 years so we can spread the upfront money out to get the cap savings everyone is talking about. It might be a 3 year deal from a practical point of view though with higher base salaries the last two years so we have to restructure again after 3 years.

If we extend him it will be for 5 years so we can spread the upfront money out to get the cap savings everyone is talking about. It might be a 3 year deal from a practical point of view though with higher base salaries the last two years so we have to restructure again after 3 years.

Agreed, the longer the better for me... but it's probably more fair for Rak if it's 3 years... he'll still be young enough to get some more money if he shows well.

Agreed, the longer the better for me... but it's probably more fair for Rak if it's 3 years... he'll still be young enough to get some more money if he shows well.

Thats why his agent if he is awake will make sure that from a practical point of view its structured so it needs to be redone after 3 years.

Skins signed former Titans Center Kevin Matthews, per twitter. Clay's cousin.

Sounds like camp fodder. He's only started 3 games since entering the league in 2010. Not much info out there about him, hope he does well either way!

Sounds like camp fodder. He's only started 3 games since entering the league in 2010. Not much info out there about him, hope he does well either way!

Maybe - but to sign him we had to cut someone and we are getting better depth now were to sign someone he has to be a pretty decent player to justify cutting a guy off the current roster even when its at 90.

Maybe - but to sign him we had to cut someone and we are getting better depth now were to sign someone he has to be a pretty decent player to justify cutting a guy off the current roster even when its at 90.

#Redskins signed OC Kevin Matthews, last with Tennessee. Has three career #NFL starts. They released OL Kyle Wilborn.

So his base is 2.8 and the dead makes it 5.1... not much you can do about the dead money because it's already been paid, but tinkering with the 2.8 that's available to **** with really isn't worth it to me. You're not going to save that much money.

Maybe I am not reading that right but the base(2.81mil) plus his bonus (700k) and misc(1.59mil) are what equal the 5.1 total cap hit for the year. The dead money doesn't add up correctly to their total unless their numbers are off.

Either way, it doesn't seem like the numbers really work in our favor to make much help.

True, true.

Does anyone have an actual tweet that they can post on the Matthews signing from one of our reporters or a source? I don't want to say "per twitter" in the OP, lol.

---------- Post added May-7th-2013 at 01:54 PM ----------

David Elfin ‏@davidelfin 1h #Redskins cut rookie FA C Kyle Wilborn to make room for ex-Titans C Kevin Matthews.

I'll give it to Elfin, he's always good to us.

Does anyone have an actual tweet that they can post on the Matthews signing from one of our reporters or a source? I don't want to say "per twitter" in the OP, lol.

---------- Post added May-7th-2013 at 01:54 PM ----------

Mike Jones ‏@MikeJonesWaPo 1h

Confirmed that former Titans center Kevin Matthews has signed with the #Redskins.

I'll give it to Elfin, he's always good to us.

He has good size for a center , Matthews (6-3, 302) appeared in 14 games for the titans. with Montgomery as the starter, I'd say he's (Matthews) more than camp fodder, He'll make the team.

Archived