Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

I agree that Niles Paul is a good special teams player, but I still think his time here is limited. I think they moved him to TE to try and find a way to justify his spot on the roster. I'm not saying that I want him gone, I just think it is a possibility. I think Briscoe is gone no matter what. We might be better off trying to groom a UDFA WR.

With Peterson breaking his foot and Reed having been hurt, I believe Paul may stay with his Special Team Ability

Now that Alexander is gone, we need Paul to step up and be that Special teams monster. I dont think Paul is a goner.

I personally would like to see 1 of Compton and Nixon starting with the other as the backup, surely they could be at least on a par with polumbus. Also moving Hurt back to guard gives you another option if needed. My 9 OL would be Compton, Nixon, Chester, Monty, Litch, Williams, Hurt, Libreus and Gettis,with Hurt backup LT.

RE:Nixon

With the log jam at RT there isn't gonna be a whole lot of reps for a rookie to show what he can do, and this scheme is already hard enough for a rookie to pick-up. I'm rooting for Nixon. But, I'm thinking practice squad, the 53 would be awesome but seems like a reach

I think you make a good point in regards to reps.  Especially given how we were forced to play Morris last year and that prevented us from storing him on the practice squad last year.  That said, if he ties our hands like Morris did he obviously makes the 53.

with RT being so open I expect them to try to get everybody as many reps as possible.  Plus one of those guys will also be our backup LT and that will help decide things.

...with RT being so open I expect them to try to get everybody as many reps as possible.  Plus one of those guys will also be our backup LT and that will help decide things.

Right.

But that's exactly the point being made. The more people fighting for a spot the fewer reps there are for each of those players to get.

I personally would like to see 1 of Compton and Nixon starting with the other as the backup, surely they could be at least on a par with polumbus. Also moving Hurt back to guard gives you another option if needed. My 9 OL would be Compton, Nixon, Chester, Monty, Litch, Williams, Hurt, Libreus and Gettis,with Hurt backup LT.

I think that the coaching staff would LOVE to have Compton win the starting RT spot.  But, he's got to go out and do it. And, while Polumbus wasn't near perfect, he was pretty good in the run game and blocking on the move.  If he loses his job, it's because somebody knocked him off.  I think he's still the odds on favorite to win the job. You also have to remember that they signed 2 vets in there as well who will be competing.  

The line was pretty good, though not spectacular last year. I'm sure that the coaches know exactly what they have, and how they would like it to get better.  But, I also don't think they want to take a step back.

It is very good to finally have some competition at OL, with a bunch of young guys. So we don't have to suffer through guys like Stephon Heyer being sold as a starting tackle. 

Just on the continuing debate about the RT spot (and I share the view its our weakest spot on the line and probably on the whole offense) - Rich Tandlers opinion based on what he has seen and heard around OTAs so far is that the job is very much Polumbus's to loose.

Clearly a lot can happen between now and opening day, not least injuries, but as is stands today I would expect to see Polumbus as the starting RT this year for better or worse.

Just on the continuing debate about the RT spot (and I share the view its our weakest spot on the line and probably on the whole offense) - Rich Tandlers opinion based on what he has seen and heard around OTAs so far is that the job is very much Polumbus's to loose.

Clearly a lot can happen between now and opening day, not least injuries, but as is stands today I would expect to see Polumbus as the starting RT this year for better or worse.

Keep in mind he visited with Jacksonville and had another team interested as well.  He came back up here and signed up pretty quickly.  "RG3 effect" aside, he has to feel pretty comfortable about where he stands in this competition.

Ah... bleacher report.  Fantastic.

Wouldn't shock me, though lol.

I know, can't totally trust BR, but it is not unrealistic.

One of the Rich's just tweeted a quick write-up about it but I'm having a hard time posting tweets on here today.  Seems to be legit.  We are going to try and fit him under the cap and get him in here at some point this week.

Would still be shocked if he makes the 53 since he doesn't play teams and he's old, but he's a good roladex guy to have in case of injury.

What's the deal with Henderson? Saw Russell mention him on twitter earlier. Are we in talks with him?

@Russellmania980: WR position looks like this...entering camp -- Projected spots 1. Garcon 2. Morgan 3. Moss 4. Hankerson 5. Aldrick 6. Donte'/Dez/Devery (1)

What do you guys think? Didn't see that coming but could be a decent addition/depth guy.

Edit: NM saw we signed him now.

@Redskins: #Redskins announce signings of WRs @DonteStallworth and Devery Henderson, bolstering the corps before training camp. #HTTR #LiveIt

The Henderson signing came from left field. Suggests they want some veteran depth at the bottom of the WR depth chart.

The thing is if we do keep 4 TEs I'm not sure we can also keep 6 receivers - it might come down to a battle between that 6th receiver and the 4th TE for a roster spot and whoever wins had better be a good special teams player .......so BIG advantage to Paul there for that maybe last roster spot on offense.

The Henderson signing came from left field. Suggests they want some veteran depth at the bottom of the WR depth chart.

The thing is if we do keep 4 TEs I'm not sure we can also keep 6 receivers - it might come down to a battle between that 6th receiver and the 4th TE for a roster spot and whoever wins had better be a good special teams player .......so BIG advantage to Paul there for that maybe last roster spot on offense.

Agreed.  Shanny must've been reading our board :lol: ...

Roster spot fights are now officially intense all the way accross the team.  I'm honestly not all that worried for Hankerson or AlRob... but if I am one of them I am making sure that I take care of my study and gym time every morning and every afternoon up until camp, because **** just got real.

What a great job by the coaching staff.

What's the deal with Henderson? Saw Russell mention him on twitter earlier. Are we in talks with him?

@Russellmania980: WR position looks like this...entering camp -- Projected spots 1. Garcon 2. Morgan 3. Moss 4. Hankerson 5. Aldrick 6. Donte'/Dez/Devery (1)

What do you guys think? Didn't see that coming but could be a decent addition/depth guy.

Edit: NM saw we signed him now.

@Redskins: #Redskins announce signings of WRs @DonteStallworth and Devery Henderson, bolstering the corps before training camp. #HTTR #LiveIt

You know, it's interesting.  I think we obviously expected Stallworth, but as Martin said Devery came out of nowhere.  We've talked about the best battles being secondary and front seven, and they still are, Right Tackle will be something we also keep an eye on.

But there was real competition everywhere except for WR.  Stallworth wasn't really going to scare anyone, but the fact that two vets were brought in yesterday, a veteran possession guy and a speed/deep threat with a ring at a minimum will let the young guys know that this isn't going to be a "walk through" training camp. 

We basically had our starters from last year and some undrafted FA we picked up.  Now we have vets with some pedigree in here to fight, it's going to push Hank, AlRob and everyone else that much harder.

Do you guys think that the coaching staff like having a veteran with Tana's "seasoning" on the team?  I think we all assumed that Garcon and Josh were going to take over that roll (or just Garcon).  But maybe Kyle likes having that veteran slot presence on the team and Henderson could assume that roll after this season?

I still think both are very long shots but it doesn't hurt to have guys like this familiar with the playbook.  Both will likely be available if they don't make the 53 and if we have an injury, boom... reliable vets who are familiar with the system. 

Henderson is strong enough to handle the bump and go deep which Robinson has not been able to do.

Does Henderson or Stallworth play special teams? Briscoe does not and could be trade bait or cut as we now have 12 WR's.Hope Lance makes the cut.

Henderson is a great blocker for RG3.

Do you guys think that the coaching staff like having a veteran with Tana's "seasoning" on the team?  I think we all assumed that Garcon and Josh were going to take over that roll (or just Garcon).  But maybe Kyle likes having that veteran slot presence on the team and Henderson could assume that roll after this season?

I still think both are very long shots but it doesn't hurt to have guys like this familiar with the playbook.  Both will likely be available if they don't make the 53 and if we have an injury, boom... reliable vets who are familiar with the system. 

Archived