Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

I think Niles days as a TE are numbered anyway. With them drafting Reed, I think he competes at WR again. He is very valuable on STs, so I think Briscoe would be the odd man out. Wouldn't mind Cribbs comiing here.

I'd give Niles a look at LB. I really would. Maybe with a little coaching he could be an outstanding ILB who could cover. If not... eh. There's only so much time I like to leave a player on teams while he "marinades" his skills for either offense or defense. Niles is still a couple of years away from that time, but I'd give him a look.

Cribbs isn't a WR threat and I don't see us bringing him on just as a returner. Roster spots are too valuable. We'll find someone on the roster for PR/KR.

yet we had banks for 3 years doing absolutely nothing on offense and wasn't even that great on special teams. don't forget we had desmon briscoe wasting another spot as well. if you can get cribbs here cheap, at least he will contribute.

For the right price I think Cribbs would be a good addition. B.Mitch and Scott Jackson were banging the drum for him big time.

I wouldn't expect him to be a high dollar guy at this stage.

yet we had banks for 3 years doing absolutely nothing on offense and wasn't even that great on special teams. don't forget we had desmon briscoe wasting another spot as well. if you can get cribbs here cheap, at least he will contribute.

That's why Banks isn't coming back. Won't waste a spot again this year and Danny Smith isn't keeping him here any more. Briscoe is probably gone as well. Gameday WR will likely be PG, Hank, Moss, Morgan, and Robinson with a couple of young pups fighting for PS spots. Still think we need another playmaker at WR. Probably next year's addition.

Personally, I don't think Cribbs would hurt the offense, but I don't think he comes here. The WR core has Tana as a veteran leader for at least this season (and this is probably his last). Next year you have Garcon and Morgan that can step into that veteran leadership... so there's no added value there and he's just a roster spot that is being taken up when that spot could go to any number of players that we are planning on keeping for a 6-10 year run.

This is going to be a hard team to make. We had depth last year and we will have more/better depth this year. In fact, a lot of that depth (mainly on defense/front 7) was tested last year due to injuries and even started the majority of the season. So with a healthy team (knock on wood) coming into camp a lot of those spots are already spoken for. Guys that were on the roster filling in for IR'd starters were depth... and the guys who were signed to spell them are still here... those third teir guys are fighting for their lives on this team. And they won 7 straight and an NFC championship.

Then draft 7 draft picks who all look delicious to this fanbase? I think we're fooling ourselves if we think anyone is going to come in here like a Josh Cribbs. In fact, he's probably better off not trying to come here... he probably knows what he'd be up against.

Just my take though.

I think Niles days as a TE are numbered anyway. With them drafting Reed, I think he competes at WR again. He is very valuable on STs, so I think Briscoe would be the odd man out. Wouldn't mind Cribbs comiing here.

And to BigMase76, please don't take this personally as I've seen other clamor for the same thing. But why do our fans put such a premium on an UDFA becoming a starter? He'll be lucky to make the PS. It is very rare that an UDFA would make a huge impact on a team. It does happen, but as of now, Nixon is at the bottom of the depth chart. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for the guy to develop into an all-pro linemen for 10+ years, but I'm not sure I'll be openly rooting for the guy. I see Nixon's name thrown around alot, but I don't know alot about him as I don't follow many players in college ball, even though I watch alot of college football.

pjfootballer, don't take this personally, but Xavier has a legitimate shot, a very legitimate shot at the 53 man roster. He fits our scheme to a t, has a terrific skill set, ideal size, and now seems hungry. He was the #3 OT prospect in the country out of high school in 2009 and the first true freshman to start left tackle for Florida since 1992.

"What makes Nixon a terrific fit for the Redskins offensive line is his experience with the read-option. During his days at Florida, he got plenty of action in a zone-blocking scheme while paving the way for an option attack that found plenty of success on the ground. With Robert Griffin III and Alfred Morris emerging as focal points in the Redskins offense, having blockers capable of running the read-option will be crucial in D.C. Combining sneaky athleticism with outstanding size, Nixon makes sense from a scheme standpoint. He has the mobility to get out on the perimeter and keep up with edge rushers, but also the power to move interior defenders off the ball."

He is not your typical undrafted free agent. Will he ever be Terry Hermeling, Turk Edwards, Jeff Bostic, or Joe Jacoby? Probably not, but I am reallly pulling for him to make an impact. If he would develop into what he could be, we would be in terrific shape on the OL for years to come, and a piece of the puzzle in place. Also, if placed on the practice squad he would be snatched up in very quick fashion. HTTR

Also' date=' if placed on the practice squad he would be snatched up in very quick fashion. HTTR[/quote']

I don't understand how you could say this as if it is fact. This is a player that lost his starting position in college multiple times. He was bypassed in a seven round draft in which many third day picks do not make 53 man rosters. That leads you to believe it is likely that if he were to not show enough ability to make our 53 man roster, despite being what you consider a perfect fit, another team would sign him to their 53 man roster.

I don't disagree that its a possibility, but that doesn't seem at all likely.

I don't understand how you could say this as if it is fact. This is a player that lost his starting position in college multiple times. He was bypassed in a seven round draft in which many third day picks do not make 53 man rosters. That leads you to believe it is likely that if he were to not show enough ability to make our 53 man roster, despite being what you consider a perfect fit, another team would sign him to their 53 man roster.

I don't disagree that its a possibility, but that doesn't seem at all likely.

It is the weakest position on our team, and don't see it as unlikely at all. We have Tyler Polumbus, Jeremy Trueblood, Tony Pashos, and Tom Compton (like him too btw). Confident in any of them holding that spot? Taking us to the next level? Not me, and we seem to trend towards younger players now...we are building a machine for the long haul. It would be the easiest spot to make the 53. Like it or not, the kid has talent and, with development could be a major steal, and I will not back down from that. I've been wrong before, and fine if I am again, but this may have been one of, if not the, best undrafted player in the draft. If he wants it, it is there for him as he has more talent than any of them. Xavier, time for you to show it, and, it seems in interviews anyway, he gets that. BTW he LOVED rookie camp and said the system was perfect for him. He has a true shot, in my opinion anyway. HTTR

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=35439

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1621809-washington-redskins-which-undrafted-free-agent-has-the-best-chance-to-start

It is the weakest position on our team' date=' and don't see it as unlikely at all. [/quote']

That isn't at all what my post addressed. My post was solely in response to your claim that he would quickly be pulled off our practice squad should we expose him. I don't disagree that he has the talent necessary to develop into a contributing player, maybe even a productive starter. The point I made was that if he doesn't prove to be prepared enough to make our 53 man roster, in which he appears to be a perfect fit, it is not likely he would have shown enough for another team, which he in theory is less of a fit, to sign him to their 53.

If some other team was willing to make him a part of their 53 regardless of what he shows this summer he would have been a draft pick.

So again, I completely agree that RT is a position that is wide open. I completely agree that Nixon has the ability to develop and become a part of that conversation. I disagree that if he fails to make our roster, in which multiple people claim he is the perfect fit at a weak position, he is instantly going to be signed away by some other team. That isn't to say that it's impossible for another team to see something in him that we don't and sign him away, but to state it as fact, or even probable is a giant stretch.

pjfootballer' date=' don't take this personally, but Xavier has a legitimate shot, a very legitimate shot at the 53 man roster. He fits our scheme to a t, has a terrific skill set, ideal size, and now seems hungry. He was the #3 OT prospect in the country out of high school in 2009 and the first true freshman to start left tackle for Florida since 1992.

"What makes Nixon a terrific fit for the Redskins offensive line is his experience with the read-option. During his days at Florida, he got plenty of action in a zone-blocking scheme while paving the way for an option attack that found plenty of success on the ground. With Robert Griffin III and Alfred Morris emerging as focal points in the Redskins offense, having blockers capable of running the read-option will be crucial in D.C. Combining sneaky athleticism with outstanding size, Nixon makes sense from a scheme standpoint. He has the mobility to get out on the perimeter and keep up with edge rushers, but also the power to move interior defenders off the ball."

He is not your typical undrafted free agent. Will he ever be Terry Hermeling, Turk Edwards, Jeff Bostic, or Joe Jacoby? Probably not, but I am reallly pulling for him to make an impact. If he would develop into what he could be, we would be in terrific shape on the OL for years to come, and a piece of the puzzle in place. Also, if placed on the practice squad he would be snatched up in very quick fashion. HTTR[/quote']

Oh, not taking anything personally. I understand that people have their favorites. I have mine also and if this kid does well and makes the 53, great for us. I just think the cards are stacked against him right now, but I'd love to stash him on the PS. Our problem now is, we have enough depth, that we are now worried that teams will snatch guys off our PS, which they've tried to do. That's a good thing. I think it will depend on what Polumbus, Pashos and Trueblood do in TC that will decide what they do with Nixon. He's sounds like a great prospect and like I said, I just don't follow "single" players in college football to form enough of an opinion.

Who is available in Free Agency next year Wide Receivers?

We do not have a #1 available and normally it takes WR's a couple years to get routes down and blocking systems.

Trading is an option as we have depth this year across the board.

I really like our Wide Receiver Corp now and not sure we could upgrade it without spending too much money and hurting the balance like other teams have.

pjfootballer' date=' don't take this personally, but Xavier has a legitimate shot, a very legitimate shot at the 53 man roster. He fits our scheme to a t, has a terrific skill set, ideal size, and now seems hungry. He was the #3 OT prospect in the country out of high school in 2009 and the first true freshman to start left tackle for Florida since 1992.

He is not your typical undrafted free agent. Will he ever be Terry Hermeling, Turk Edwards, Jeff Bostic, or Joe Jacoby? Probably not, but I am reallly pulling for him to make an impact.[/quote']

I too am hoping Nixon makes an impact! I watched him play every week for several years from the stands. Great kid, and he would fit our scheme well.

• 3 weeks later...

It is the weakest position on our team, and don't see it as unlikely at all. We have Tyler Polumbus, Jeremy Trueblood, Tony Pashos, and Tom Compton (like him too btw). Confident in any of them holding that spot? Taking us to the next level? Not me, and we seem to trend towards younger players now...we are building a machine for the long haul. It would be the easiest spot to make the 53. Like it or not, the kid has talent and, with development could be a major steal, and I will not back down from that. I've been wrong before, and fine if I am again, but this may have been one of, if not the, best undrafted player in the draft. If he wants it, it is there for him as he has more talent than any of them. Xavier, time for you to show it, and, it seems in interviews anyway, he gets that. BTW he LOVED rookie camp and said the system was perfect for him. He has a true shot, in my opinion anyway. HTTR

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=35439

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1621809-washington-redskins-which-undrafted-free-agent-has-the-best-chance-to-start

My take on Xavier Nixon is that he is going to be a beast that will contribute from the first day. Expect him to start and have T Compton as a back up. Pashos and Trueblood have been great blockers in the run game but are a bit weak in the passing game. Nixon adds a true twist and bolsters our ability to run the option in the ZBS that Shanahan has developed. Look to see a lot from this young man, he will be one of the great Redskins wait and see. With Trent Williams and Nixon holding the bookends spots we will go deep into the playoffs this year if not the whole ball of wax. Besides both Sanatana and Flechter deserve a ring and they will get it with the players we now have on our roster. Quote me if you must but I believe we are seeing the emergence of the Skins becoming the dynasty we have been waiting for so patiently. Myself, I have been a Redskin true blue fan since George Allen came here from LA. Yeah, I am an old guy, and I can see that we are on the road to being a dominant team in the upcoming year and well beyond. Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen have built a team that will last for a very long long time. I myself am prepared for a wonderful season of taunting all those that ever doubted this teams ability to dominate. HTTR forever.

Nixon is interesting and it would be great if he can shine through and make the 53 - it sounds like he has the physical talent but it takes a lot more than just that to make it in the NFL (though its not a bad place to start). It's highly unlikely though he starts this year even if he makes the team, rookies starting at tackle is rare.

My take on Xavier Nixon is that he is going to be a beast that will contribute from the first day. Expect him to start and have T Compton as a back up. Pashos and Trueblood have been great blockers in the run game but are a bit weak in the passing game. 

You should take another look at Pashos, he's been a better pass protector than run blocker the last time he was healthy.

Nixon is interesting and it would be great if he can shine through and make the 53 - it sounds like he has the physical talent but it takes a lot more than just that to make it in the NFL (though its not a bad place to start). It's highly unlikely though he starts this year even if he makes the team, rookies starting at tackle is rare.

Yeah I am high on Nixon for the long run, but I don't see him starting this year unless none of the vets pan out and injuries decimate the guys that were already here. 

I'd give Niles a look at LB. I really would. Maybe with a little coaching he could be an outstanding ILB who could cover. If not... eh. There's only so much time I like to leave a player on teams while he "marinades" his skills for either offense or defense. Niles is still a couple of years away from that time, but I'd give him a look.

Might be worth it....dude can really hit.

Yeah I am high on Nixon for the long run, but I don't see him starting this year unless none of the vets pan out and injuries decimate the guys that were already here. 

Agree, SWFL.  I think we all know that Compton is lasting on the practice squad since someone (at least one) tried to snoop around and poach him last year... just to thicken the plot a little bit.  But I think Nixon will last for at least the first part of the season and we should be able to make adjustments from there, if need be.

RE:Could Niles play LB

It goes without saying that Niles making the move to defense is a longshot. BUT I could see a move to SS before LB.

my 2 cents

RE:Nixon

With the log jam at RT there isn't gonna be a whole lot of reps for a rookie to show what he can do, and this scheme is already hard enough for a rookie to pick-up. I'm rooting for Nixon. But, I'm thinking practice squad, the 53 would be awesome but seems like a reach

Apropos of nothing

Ike Williams is my camp crush

RE:Nixon

With the log jam at RT there isn't gonna be a whole lot of reps for a rookie to show what he can do, and this scheme is already hard enough for a rookie to pick-up. I'm rooting for Nixon. But, I'm thinking practice squad, the 53 would be awesome but seems like a reach

I think you make a good point in regards to reps.  Especially given how we were forced to play Morris last year and that prevented us from storing him on the practice squad last year.  That said, if he ties our hands like Morris did he obviously makes the 53.

Archived