Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

What's the deal with Henderson? Saw Russell mention him on twitter earlier. Are we in talks with him?

@Russellmania980: WR position looks like this...entering camp -- Projected spots 1. Garcon 2. Morgan 3. Moss 4. Hankerson 5. Aldrick 6. Donte'/Dez/Devery (1)

What do you guys think? Didn't see that coming but could be a decent addition/depth guy.

Edit: NM saw we signed him now.

@Redskins: #Redskins announce signings of WRs @DonteStallworth and Devery Henderson, bolstering the corps before training camp. #HTTR #LiveIt

You know, it's interesting.  I think we obviously expected Stallworth, but as Martin said Devery came out of nowhere.  We've talked about the best battles being secondary and front seven, and they still are, Right Tackle will be something we also keep an eye on.

But there was real competition everywhere except for WR.  Stallworth wasn't really going to scare anyone, but the fact that two vets were brought in yesterday, a veteran possession guy and a speed/deep threat with a ring at a minimum will let the young guys know that this isn't going to be a "walk through" training camp. 

We basically had our starters from last year and some undrafted FA we picked up.  Now we have vets with some pedigree in here to fight, it's going to push Hank, AlRob and everyone else that much harder.

Absolutely. Well said and I can't wait to see how these battles progress heading into the season. 

I like us signing Devery Henderson he is a solid consistent receiver, has blocking skills and can really contribute. It seems that most of Saints fans are missing him.

I think they're missing him like most of Skins fans are missing Cooley though.

I doubt they are crying tears and struggling with realization over Devery not being in NO like some fans are for Cooley.  :lol:

Any thoughts on Potter, though? I'm not sure what the plan is for him. I can't imagine he'd beat out Forbath, and I also doubt that Shanny would seriously consider devoting a roster spot just to kickoffs. Maybe he's camp fodder, but at the same time, I'd think they'd still want Forbath to get reps.

Well the signing shows our other receivers are off scholarship, especially Hankerson. IDK if Henderson makes the team, but word on the street seems a good run blocker. Interesting analysis given the Saints threw the ball so much, and he only had 22 catches which is is a concern especially with a QB like Brees who spread the ball to everyone and his stat sheets would include catches by grounds keepers, mascots, random fans, and training staff.

Henderson used to lead the NFL in yards per catch, he got at least a couple 60+ yd TDs every year with Brees. He's a bit older but I wouldn't mind him

Yeah, he was the deep threat on the team. It looked like they went younger with Morgan the past season. I remember Henderson catching a deep pass from Brees that would have been a sure TD, if Sean Taylor didnt lay him out.

Henderson used to lead the NFL in yards per catch, he got at least a couple 60+ yd TDs every year with Brees. He's a bit older but I wouldn't mind him

Well... who was that guy who was 2nd a couple of years ago?  Wore lucky 13?  Has a hard time getting reps these days?  (pssst Anthony Armstrong)

Bad stat to base things off of... but I agree with where you're heart is in terms of posting it.  I think he has a shot :)

Might I add that this would be a pretty strong heir apparent for Fletcher to not force Keenan or Muck into that role.  A good veteran who's seen a lot of 3-4 defense.

Bishop has a workout and visit scheduled already with the Vikings. I would be surprised if he does not sign there - he seems like a man who is motivated to stay in the same division as the Packers and show them why they made a mistake twice a year and up close and personal!

Other than that I think he is still a pretty good 3-4 linebacker if he is healthy again. I doubt he would sign for a vet minimum deal type deal though which means he is too expensive for our cap to bear.

Any thoughts on Potter, though? I'm not sure what the plan is for him. I can't imagine he'd beat out Forbath, and I also doubt that Shanny would seriously consider devoting a roster spot just to kickoffs. Maybe he's camp fodder, but at the same time, I'd think they'd still want Forbath to get reps.

A LOT of kicking is done in training camp... practice field goals, practice kickoffs (and these aren't just for the kicker, either... it is also to make sure the other players on the field for these plays know what to do). As well as practice for players receiving these kickoffs.

You don't want one guy doing ALL THAT kicking. It could lead to a greater chance of injury. So the Redskins, like all teams, bring in a second kicker to help with the workload.

That will be Potter's role here this Summer. I doubt he replaces Forbath, unless Kai's kicking falls off a cliff this preseason.

That will be Potter's role here this Summer. I doubt he replaces Forbath, unless Kai's kicking falls off a cliff this preseason.

agree. camp fodder. No way in hell Forbath loses the job even if Potter looks perfect in the preseason.

we're talking about a guy who was 17-18 last season, with an average of 40ypa, who was also 11-11 from 40-49 with a long of 50... who just happened to be clutch during the 7 game winning streak. Forbath ftw!!

Heard on NFL live that the Bears are considering trading/releasing Devin freakin Hester?

If true I want him.

Why?  I don't think that's a move we need to make.  Granted he probably is the best special teams player in the history of the league, it goes against how we want to grow this team from within.  He'd take a WR spot and wouldn't be able to contribute anywhere else other than on teams.  He's proven that he can't play receiver time and time again and that's even with Brandon Marshall drawing two and Alshon Jeffrey coming on strong.

Heard on NFL live that the Bears are considering trading/releasing Devin freakin Hester?

If true I want him.

Why?  I don't think that's a move we need to make.  Granted he probably is the best special teams player in the history of the league, it goes against how we want to grow this team from within.  He'd take a WR spot and wouldn't be able to contribute anywhere else other than on teams.  He's proven that he can't play receiver time and time again and that's even with Brandon Marshall drawing two and Alshon Jeffrey coming on strong.

More polished version of Brandon Banks?

If true I want him.

We had Niles freakin' Paul returning kicks for us last season. We need a more explosive kick returner.

If true I want him.

We had Niles freakin' Paul returning kicks for us last season. We need a more explosive kick returner.

uhh...remember Richard Crawford?

If Hester's still all that, why is Chicago releasing him?  I wouldn't mind seeing Moss as our returner (assuming he can).  Since he's no longer starting, why not let him return?

Ding ding ding.

And the Bears have tried to use Hester all over the field  to no avail.  There was a time he was the only offense for them... or lack thereof.  If he was still en vogue he won't leave Chicago.

But also, keep in mind... while you are wishing for Hester to take a roster spot as a KR, you have a ton of LBs, CBs, Ss, RBs, and RTs that you want on this team already. 

I would pass on Bishop. Older ILB coming off a hamstring injury that cost him the season. Plus I like our group of LBs.

Even our depth guys like Muckelroy and Kehl.

Hester:

Most people pay lip service to special teams, they say its important to them but they don't really value or appreciate the impact of special teams on a game. Not me, I think special teams are important and I actually mean it.

I want Devin Hester because I still think he's threat on special teams. Teams still respect/fear and kick away from Devin Hester when it comes to kick/punt returns. His contributions in hidden yardage/field position alone warrant a roster spot.

Another reason I want Devin Hester is because he is a unique athlete that I always thought was underused by several coordinators in Chicago that didn't know how to use him on offense and I know that Mike/Kyle would maximize Devin's potential as a specialty player on offense. Notice I said specialty player not exclusively WR. If Kyle wants to expand the 'Banks' role Devin gives him an uber talented chess piece.

Oh, and that whole line of psuedo-logic: ' if player X could play then team Y wouldn't let them go' is so obviously flawed its not worth arguing and its quite ironic and hypocritical to use this argument in a Free Agency Thread.

How is it psuedo-logic?  He has been tried at WR and hasn't performed.  He has been tried at RB and hasn't performed.  Sure he and the rest of the offense there for years were underutilized, but if he can't ball with Cutler throwing the rock and Brandon Marshall commanding two and a young Alshon Jeffrey playing strong what do you expect out of him here?

Justify him as a returner/package player and I'll bite.  Why does he deserve a spot over Chase Minnifield, Roy Helu, Lance Lewis, Roderick Muckelroy, Daryl Tapp, Bryan Kehl, Ron Brace, Phillip Merling or any other player who would contribute and likely has a future with this team beyond the next couple of years (save for maybe Kehl and Tapp)?

EDIT:  And that's not even getting into the five right tackles this fan base is ready to sign off on... lol

Archived