Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Mike Shanahan: No one in NFL history has played at RG3′s level

brandymac27

The reason I assume he's refering to a QB's rookie season is because there have quite obviously been players and QBs that have played at a higher level then Griff.
Quite obviously? Based on what/whose measurement?

I doubt that Mike Shanahan is talking about QB ratings.

I think he is right. RG3 is putting unprecedented pressure on the defense. THe closest comparison is Steve Young with sprinter's speed (not that Steve Young was slow to start with). Bob Griff's accuracy is insane.

he does seem to have the ball on a string doesn't he. The only time I ever have a problem with his passes is he throws high occasionally.

Most people really don't understand how good of a passer he is. He's one of the best. He would have gone #2 regardless of his running ability. Yes, he would have. He RARELY, EVER makes a bad pass; how many times have you said "oh shoot, bad pass RG3". You could count on one hand.

It's just great how most people think he's garbage without his legs, he'll get figured out etc. I almost wanted the Skins to call a strict pocket passing game for one game just to shut everyone up-OH WAIT, they did lol.

His CONSISTENCY with passing really is that good, really is one of the best. Give me RG3 over the unpredictable Romo sits to pee nightmare, or Philip Rivers, or Cam or most 'decent,solid starters'. Rg3 screws up about as often as Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, it's ****ing elite, folks (I hate that word lol). I guess the whole thing about his ridiculous speed makes Shanny feel the way he does. I totally understand, just look at the guy. And a rookie, my GOD lol. We are so ****ing fortunate for the foreseeable future.

Quite obviously? Based on what/whose measurement?

I doubt that Mike Shanahan is talking about QB ratings.

Whatever measurement you want to use. You don't think there are obviously players and QB that have played at a higher level then Griffin?

I think there are players playing at a higher level then Griffin this year.

Anyone going after RG3 after this year is out of their mind or just trying to stir things up. There's been no rookie season even comparable to his.

Luck being asked to do more - false. Griffin effects all of the passing plays and a ton of the running plays (including the ones where Morris carries on the read-option). He may not wing it down the field or throw it as often, but last I check those running plays count as well.

Luck is more clutch - false. When losing by 1 score: Luck: 91/170, 53.5%, 8 TD, 6 INT, 80.0 RAT RG3: 80/115, 69.6%, 7 TD, 1 INT, 115.8 RAT. Yes Luck has more comebacks, but a lot of those is because they are behind due to his turnovers.

Funny how the Luck does more doesn't apply to Wilson... only RG3. RG3 has more passing yards and more rushing yards in one less game. But someone this only counts for Luck vs RG3 and not RG3 vs Wilson.

Luck and Wilson are having great seasons. Two of the best ever by rookies. But RG3 is in another class.

Shanny has been around some of the greats, Montana, Young and Elway. So for him to say this is 'kind of a big deal'! I don't think he meant rookie, RGIII is the whole package plus. Can anyone name one QB that has had it all as RG seems to have?

Remember when everyone was saying "what has Shanny done with out Elway?" Now look when he has his QB and his RB. The future is bright!

Whatever measurement you want to use. You don't think there are obviously players and QB that have played at a higher level then Griffin?

I think there are players playing at a higher level then Griffin this year.

I've said it before -- Robert is the best QB I've ever seen -- meaning the most talented. I think Mike is saying the same thing. I doubt that he meant just the best rookie QB. He's grading QB, not QB + Team + Scheme.

ive been thinking about this for a while, and this is how i see it. the team is near the bottom in 3rd down offense. usually a passing down. that reflects on rg3. he has to get better on 3rd down. now look at the colts. one of the best teams on 3rd down. most likely because luck is converting these.

now i look at 3rd down as a clutch down. theres nothing more deflating to a defense than giving up a big 3rd down. we should know, our defense is one of the worse on 3rd down.

does this make andrew luck more clutch than rg3? maybe. im in no way a luck supporter, but rg3 has to find a way to convert some of these 3rd downs. that is holding him back from being the best qb ever.

The reason I assume

he's refering to a QB's rookie season is because there have quite obviously been players and QBs that have played at a higher level then Griff.

If you break it down by efficiency per play, it's not quite as obvious.

---------- Post added December-29th-2012 at 07:30 AM ----------

Jake Russell

RT @WashWizards Wizards fans chanting rg-3 for absolutely no reason and that's perfectly fine with me!!!!

:ols:

Lets go!

Your sig is one of my favorite plays ever. He's making JPP look STUPID. If I remember correctly, that was on fourth down with the game on the line. Who else in the league could have made that play?

ive been thinking about this for a while, and this is how i see it. the team is near the bottom in 3rd down offense. usually a passing down. that reflects on rg3. he has to get better on 3rd down. now look at the colts. one of the best teams on 3rd down. most likely because luck is converting these.

now i look at 3rd down as a clutch down. theres nothing more deflating to a defense than giving up a big 3rd down. we should know, our defense is one of the worse on 3rd down.

does this make andrew luck more clutch than rg3? maybe. im in no way a luck supporter, but rg3 has to find a way to convert some of these 3rd downs. that is holding him back from being the best qb ever.

"Clutch" probably has nothing to do with it. There's no reason that a QB's accuracy should desert him on third down.

The most likely cause is scheme. Teams employ different schemes and strategies on third down than they do on first and second. The Shanahans have picked up their game on third down since the beginning of the season. They still lag behind their first and second down success.

I've said it before -- Robert is the best QB I've ever seen -- meaning the most talented. I think Mike is saying the same thing. I doubt that he meant just the best rookie QB. He's grading QB, not QB + Team + Scheme.
You're refering to talent level, Mike S refered to performance level, specifically he said:
“I don’t think anybody in the history of the league has played at his level,” Shanahan said. “At least over the last 40 years, when I take a look at the numbers and what he has done, I don’t think anybody has played at his level.
If Mike said Griff is the most talented QB or talented player, I would be inclined to agree.

But the reference Mike S made was about level of performance.

And I ask again, don't think there are obviously players and QBs that have played at a higher level then Griffin?

---------- Post added December-29th-2012 at 07:46 AM ----------

If you break it down by efficiency per play, it's not quite as obvious
(What metric do suggest we use for efficiency per play? YPA? It only applies to QBs) But if we're being this persnickety then maybe tts not quite as obvious but it still should be obvious that there have been players that have played at a higher level then Griff.

ive been thinking about this for a while, and this is how i see it. the team is near the bottom in 3rd down offense. usually a passing down. that reflects on rg3. he has to get better on 3rd down. now look at the colts. one of the best teams on 3rd down. most likely because luck is converting these...........but rg3 has to find a way to convert some of these 3rd downs. that is holding him back from being the best qb ever.
I noticed this awhile back (if I can find it I'll post it). And I think the low 3rd and long conversion rate is more the result of the schematic/gameplan approach this offense takes then it is a result of Griffin's ability or lack thereof on 3rd +.

I think we have all seen some questionable play calls on 3rd down. It may happen to all teams for all I know, but earlier in the year we were often likely to run Banks on a pitch on 3rd and 1 as try Morris. Kyle knows we have don't have bulldozers on the OL so I think is gun shy to pound it up the gut, and gets too cute. I would like to see us put an extra OL out for 3rd and short, line up a 3rd guard.

And then go play action and keep using RG3's great ball fakes and passing ability to further confuse and crush defenses. I think we should putting the game into his hands as much as possible. Mike is right, he is a special talent.

Archived