Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Mike Shanahan: No one in NFL history has played at RG3′s level

brandymac27

We aren't going to debate this intelligently because we are defining terms differently and neither of us can be sure what Mike meant. I judge a QB's talent by his play demonstrated at the NFL level. So, while the words aren't synonymous I'm talking about two interwoven concepts. When you use the word "talent," you think of something one can see at the college level. You aren't connecting it with the level of play at the NFL level. Furthermore, I'm taking into account the position value in my judgment. You are not.

I enjoy our debates, but this one is a loser. We might as well be debating different topics.

I too enjoy our discussions. And I think in this case we agree more then disagree.

One thing we certainly agree upon is that Robert has a rare physical skillset and we're glad and (lucky) to have him.

I think our main disconnect, caused in part by Mike S merky press conferences, is how we define 'playing at a high level'. I think Mike S was refering to a measure of performance when he said 'playing at a high level'. And correct me if I'm wrong you feel 'playing at high level' is a measure of talent?

Anyway, quibling aside. I think when Robert's performance level meets his talent level then he'll be the best player in the NFL. But right now I don't think he'a at that zenith.....yet.

Regardless what he meant, he is RGIII's head coach. Why wouldn't he hype his QB? People made a huge deal over something very small

This. People should just relax, sit back, grab a cold one - for the next 15+ years and enjoy every moment of it. It doesn't get any better than this. :)

He will be one of the greats. Barring injury of course. But 14 games a career does not make. Comparing him to veteran or retired players is not fair. That's why the word rookie was coined.

He has impressed me in every way possible and I'm really excited for the future of the team in part because of him. I just don't want to see us getting ahead of ourselves here. Likewise, not happy to see quotes taken out of context.

Shanahan (and I) are not saying he's the greatest of all time, just that no QB has played at his level. Given his rushing record, I'd say that's fair to say.

Brees broke the td record (or was it passing record?), so it's pretty fair to say he played at a higher level than any past QB. That doesn't mean he is the GOAT though

Archived