Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Kai Forbath sets NFL record for field goals to start career

Coolio47

Glad to see a meaningless miss in the first half last week. No more Jinx-sauce on him going into the Paloffs.

Amen, my wife looked at me like I was crazy when I said that I was glad he finally missed a kick. There's a first time for everything, and I wanted that miss to come before it was a crucial one.

I was bummed that he missed that kick in Dallas. I wanted him to finish the season perfect, but since he already got a record, I'm glad the "overdue" miss has come and gone.

Another blurb about him: When I was at the Browns game, he was signing autographs for people near the tunnel for a long time before the game. I tried to get down there, but the ****y security team wouldn't let me get any closer. Pretty cool of him; always have respect for players who take the time to do that.

Here's to a perfect postseason for Kai! :cheers:

I was on the Gano train for a long time, but now, I can almost certainly say that Gano wouldn't be 17/17.

Same here. I really liked Gano and was pretty upset we cut him, especially for Billy friggen Cundiff. But it ultimately led to us getting Kai and for that I am extremely thankful. This kid should be around for a long, long time and it's nice to finally have a kicker that I trust to put it through the uprights.

I've really wanted the kicker we settled into to be "our guy" and not another teams trash. It seems like we've found him.

On a side note, of the 3 kickers we've had since '05 that played significant time (Novak, Suisham, Gano) their overall career FG % is better than it was while they kicked for the Skins.

On a side note, of the 3 kickers we've had since '05 that played significant time (Novak, Suisham, Gano) their overall career FG % is better than it was while they kicked for the Skins.

suisham has lit it up this year (28-31 90.3%) but i wouldnt count on him in a clutch situation.

and the thing about kai's miss, is it was barely a miss. not a cundiff miss by a mile wide from 30 yards out

how the hell did he miss that last one, and it was a chipshot for him.

He seemed nervous, the look on his face was weird after that. Maybe he had to get the vibe and what was at stake out of his system.

---------- Post added January-4th-2013 at 09:53 AM ----------

suisham has lit it up this year (28-31 90.3%) but i wouldnt count on him in a clutch situation.

and the thing about kai's miss, is it was barely a miss. not a cundiff miss by a mile wide from 30 yards out

But Suisham's been pretty good in the clutch this year. He's got a couple GW at the gun and an overtime winner this year. He did miss one in the last 2 minutes against Tenn, but that was a 54 yarder.

But I agree about Kai's miss. That was my thought too, that even when he misses, it's not horrific. He's remarkably consistent. Some of these guys are all over the place, even with the makes.

One bad thing about Kai is his kickoffs. For the life of me I just don't get why we don't get a kicker with a big leg to be able to kick the kickoffs out of the endzone. its a huge plus when the other team's return unit can't do its job.

kai then can concentrate on FGs and keep the leg nice and fresh.

• 2 months later...

Will or does Kai need competition?

I'm saying yes. Why not? I think a big reason why he did so well last year was because he had the pressure of trying to impress and keep the job. So much of kicking is mental, why not bring someone in, send the message that he's not safe, and make him keep his edge.

Save your, "who cares, he's only a kicker" for another thread!

I'm saying yes. Why not? I think a big reason why he did so well last year was because he had the pressure of trying to impress and keep the job. So much of kicking is mental, why not bring someone in, send the message that he's not safe, and make him keep his edge.

I've been seeing on his twitter that he has been kicking/practicing FGs a lot this offseason so I don't think he will lose his edge. Seems like a good guy with an even better head on his shoulders. I'm sure MS will bring some scrub in to give "competition" though.

Also, who cares he's just a kicker :)

who care's, he's only a kicker ;)

I would bring in a little competition to push him but I also wouldn't boot him if he struggled in camp. I just want him to know that he's got to perform at a high level consistently. I wouldn't call it "competition" because I think he's earned himself another year. But him thinking that it is competition wouldn't hurt as it gives that pressure sense of he has to perform

I think they probably shouldn't screw around with him, and let him do his thing, while keeping a hands on approach, and helping him work on his kickoffs. If he looks bad throughout OTA's/training camp, etc, then maybe they should bring someone in to light a fire under him. I think (after this past season) that if he does struggle during the summer, that ( at first) he should be left to work through his issues (since we're not dealing with live rounds) instead of facing the possibility of being yanked as soon as he slips up.

I think they probably shouldn't screw around with him, and let him do his thing, while keeping a hands on approach, and helping him work on his kickoffs. If he looks bad throughout OTA's/training camp, etc, then maybe they should bring someone in to light a fire under him. I think (after this past season) that if he does struggle during the summer, that ( at first) he should be left to work through his issues (since we're not dealing with live rounds) instead of facing the possibility of being yanked as soon as he slips up.

Yeah I agree with this more that I think about it - it's like yanking a 2nd stringer in basketball because he has a TO, fouls or misses a shot right off the bat. If you pull him then he's going to play scared which will result in more errors and not being as efficient

Yeah I agree with this more that I think about it - it's like yanking a 2nd stringer in basketball because he has a TO, fouls or misses a shot right off the bat. If you pull him then he's going to play scared which will result in more errors and not being as efficient

Yeah, I think after what he showed last year, that he's earned the right to work through a rough spot or two, if they come.

I think with a kicker, where so much is mental, that if you trust them after the year they had previously that you don't give them competition that next year. At most you bring an extra leg in for early in camp but not one that's much of a threat.

If they respond to that with another good year, then you're fine and you roll with it. If they respond by having a year where they regress, then you roll out competition the following year and see how they react to that.

We totally backed into Forbath. Our kicker carousel was one of the more frustrating things about our two decades of poo. Sometimes, when intoxicated, I would scream "I know we suck, but you would think we could at least find a ****ing kicker!!!" I say we roll with Kai. It was a total gift that the top rated kicker coming out of college got injured, tried out for a team where they were happy with their own kicker, and he strolled into DC where he belongs. I have absolute faith that he'll keep it up. :)

Archived