Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7: NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year: A Two Horse Race

Lavarleap56

Non-Redskins fans will look at this title and assume what they are about to read is a comparison of quarterbacks Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck’s stats and why one, more than the other, deserves the annual NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award. Well I’d hate to burst your bubble people, but that’s not what you’re preparing to read about.

What you are about to read is why Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III and Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson are exceptional rookie quarterbacks and why the race for the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award is a two horse race between the two.

Don’t get me wrong I like Andrew Luck and think he is going to be a great quarterback in the NFL for years to come, but based off of this year’s performance, there is no reason to consider him for the award over Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson.

Continue Reading:http://httr24-7.com/blog/nfl-offensive-rookie-of-the-year-a-two-horse-race/

It's a shame that Andrew Luck is even in the discussion. If he had no hype and was drafted in the fourth round, people would wonder if he should be starting.

Griffin and Wilson are having great years. The same can only be said for Luck with a caveat: having a great year, FOR A ROOKIE.

Also, it's a shame that Morris isn't in the conversation.

Wilson has really done a phenomenal job. He looks pretty much the same as he did in college. Running around, making plays and surprisingly, he doesn't get many balls knocked down. I think it's great that a sub 6' player is finding success in the NFL as a QB.

Honestly, though, which rookie QB was the story of the 2012 for his amazing play? I'm pretty sure the first guy that pops into people's heads is Griffin. Even his opponents are praising the guy after games.

Let's be real, though. Luck has had the easiest schedule to go along with what people thought before the season to be the weakest team.

Here are the strength of schedule and victory for each guy

Luck .447 /.394

Wilson .492 /.516

Griffin .515 /.482

Luck's won two games against teams with winning records. The Vikes and Packers.

Wilson has won games against 5 teams with winning records. Vikes, Patriots, Cowboys, Packers, and Bears.

Griffin's won games against 4 teams with winning records. Vikes, Cowboys, Giants and Ravens.

I only bring that up because most people that favor Luck seem to rely on the team record argument. Or the comebacks argument which was addressed by the article in the OP. I mean, Luck has more comebacks (6) than Peyton (3) and Brady (2) combined. So he must be playing better QB than those two guys, right?

Give me a QB who protects the ball and gives his team a lead to protect rather than one who coughs up the rock and constantly has to fight from behind to win.

Honestly, I think Griffin should win it. I wouldn't be mad if Russell won it. If you factor in his height and draft status his production is pretty impressive. Luck winning it would call into question the parameters used to decide the winner. It's a player award, not a team award.

Luck gets dumped on way too much around here... If I had a ROY vote I'd be totally torn between the three of them. Four weeks ago I would not have had Wilson in the discussion, but he has been sensational lately and that Seattle offense looks incredibly good (but they've played some dogs lately-tonight will be a real test).

Luck is being asked to do more than either of the other two, so it stands to reason that he's making more mistakes. The Seahawks and Redskins might be the two best running teams in football; Luck does not have a RB or OL that can hold a candle to the Redskins or Seahwaks. No doubt he has benefited from a softer schedule, but giving credit where its due- the Colts were putrid last year; 2-14 and consistently annihilated weekly. Both the Redskins and Seahawks had a better base.

The fact that Indy is about to go from 2 wins to 10 or 11 is remarkable and it is directly attributable to Luck.

I said before the draft that Luck/RG3 was about as good a duo as we will ever see. I said that gun to my head, I'd say Luck will be a slightly better player, but that RG3 felt like the right guy at the right time for DC. I feel the same way now. 15 years from now I think Luck will go down as the better overall player, but I think RG3 will be so good here that it won't matter.

While I would agree with the fact that the race should be between RG3 and Wilson based on individual stats alone, I would say that there should be consideration for who has made the biggest impact to their team. In which case I would say most definitely RG3. Wilson has made a large splash but he also has veteran leadership helping him along in a 'beast mode' of a back in Marshawn Lynch. He's been a force in the league for a very long time and has definitely been a huge contributing factor in Wilson's success. RG3 on the other hand has literally hoisted this team on his back and is carrying us to a possible playoff birth. He is simply amazing.

I feel like Rookie of the Year is an award for the rookie who plays the best, not who means the most to his team. If you look at the stats, it is clear that Luck has not played as well as the other two guys. Pro-Luckers continue to talk about the fact that he took a 2-14 team to the playoffs. Sure, he did. I would argue, though, that any league-average quarterback would probably have done something similar. It isn't like the Colts were the Redskins, mired in a multi-decade slump. They averaged around 12 wins a year for the 13 years prior to the 2-14 season. Their quarterback play was so awful last year that even adding a Rex Grossman type quarterback would have improved their record a ton, imho.

Luck gets dumped on way too much around here... If I had a ROY vote I'd be totally torn between the three of them. Four weeks ago I would not have had Wilson in the discussion, but he has been sensational lately and that Seattle offense looks incredibly good (but they've played some dogs lately-tonight will be a real test).

Luck is being asked to do more than either of the other two, so it stands to reason that he's making more mistakes. The Seahawks and Redskins might be the two best running teams in football; Luck does not have a RB or OL that can hold a candle to the Redskins or Seahwaks. No doubt he has benefited from a softer schedule, but giving credit where its due- the Colts were putrid last year; 2-14 and consistently annihilated weekly. Both the Redskins and Seahawks had a better base.

The fact that Indy is about to go from 2 wins to 10 or 11 is remarkable and it is directly attributable to Luck.

I said before the draft that Luck/RG3 was about as good a duo as we will ever see. I said that gun to my head, I'd say Luck will be a slightly better player, but that RG3 felt like the right guy at the right time for DC. I feel the same way now. 15 years from now I think Luck will go down as the better overall player, but I think RG3 will be so good here that it won't matter.

Luck is asked to do more than the other two? I don't see where you're getting that.

The Colts were a 2-14 team, yes. The year before they were 13-3. The Redskins haven't had more than eleven wins in a season in TWENTY YEARS.

Luck did not walk into a dump; he walked into an organization that knows what it's doing and had a **** year at the right time.

RGIII walked into the cluster**** of the NFL.

Luck is incredibly overrated this year, and his name should not be in contention at all.

Wilson has a pretty good team around him, I even said a few years ago that Seattle is a good team that is only a QB away from contending. Sure enough.....

RG3, simply put, has been amazing, is the best player on the team, and has single handily turned the Skins into a contender. He is the ROY and it's not really close IMO.

While I would agree with the fact that the race should be between RG3 and Wilson based on individual stats alone, I would say that there should be consideration for who has made the biggest impact to their team. In which case I would say most definitely RG3. Wilson has made a large splash but he also has veteran leadership helping him along in a 'beast mode' of a back in Marshawn Lynch. He's been a force in the league for a very long time and has definitely been a huge contributing factor in Wilson's success. RG3 on the other hand has literally hoisted this team on his back and is carrying us to a possible playoff birth. He is simply amazing.

If the offensive rookie of the year was based on MVP type information .....like impact to the team, then I would agree Luck should get more consideration. But I've never thought this award was about that.

Certainly not hating on Andrew Luck, but I have to agree with the points made in the article. I, too, think Luck will have a great career. He has great potential and is a great kid, but I think most likely that this award will come down between Griffin and Wilson. Most in the media seem to look at these guys on the surface and don't watch the games or delve into the stats very closely to see the real significance of each's impact on their teams and the league.

To me if you throw out stats, and just look at the play of the QB through the "eye test" which yes is subjective, RGIII should be the run-away winner.

Luck has done just as much to hurt the team as help the team during games, and is relying a lot on the defense to make up for his errors.

Wilson has come on as of late, but if you back to the first half of the season he wasn't playing particularly great. He would seem to have some pretty good drives during games, but overall it was the defense and running game giving him a chance.

RGIII, I can only point to one game, which is the Pittsburgh game, that he looked a big shaky, but then again there was what 13 drops by WRs? Other then that game, can you point to a game where RGIII did not play well, and/or severely limit any instances of doing things to hurt the team?

If all 3 Rookie QBs get their teams to the playoffs I say RGIII wins the award unless one of the other two somehow end up in the Superbowl. However if the 'Skins stumble and don't make the playoffs, I could see the award going to one of the other two.

Hopefully the 49ers defense will stuff Wilson and his entire offense tonight, but they will have their hands full in that stadium tonight.I seriously think Seattle is going to beat their ass good.

And so it happend. I've got to say that I'm very impressed with Seattle and they scare me the most out of any playoff team!

He has not played as well as Rg3 and they have an awesome defense up there. I won't be too broken up about it if Russell Wilson wins ROY but Rg3 has him in almost every statistical category. Rg3 has 3800 total yards to Wilson's (maybe)3000 Rg3 has him by several points in completion percentage and he has turned the ball over ALOT less. Wilson has just gotten hot at the end of the season but I cant remember the last time Rg3 went out there and had a statistically bad game. Maybe it was the Steelers game? Idk.

It's gonna be Wilson, he has played just as good a RG3, and better team

Seriously, Andy, and I say this with no disrespect intended, but by what messed up, delusional metric are you coming from to say that?

Robert, in a game less, leads Wilson in EVERY category bar TD's, which he trails by 5. He's been consistently brilliant most every game this season. Wilson hasn't been. He's in a FAR tougher division, with a way tougher schedule, and has his team a mere game behind Wilson's.

Seriously, not to take away from Russel who's had a fine debut year; but how can you even have him in the same conversation as Luck and 10; let alone make that statement?

Hail.

I agree, Luck should not be in the discussion with Wilson and RGIII. Ultimately, I think RGIII should win it. What separates him from Wilson is the consistency IMO. Wilson started the season slow whereas RGIII has been playing at a high level the whole year.

I also think the home/away splits are telling. Wilson (and Seattle as a whole) is not nearly as good on the road as they are in that stadium. They've got a huge home field advantage. RGIII and the skins have been pretty consistent whether at home or on the road. RGIII's numbers are arguably better on the road... He's shown an ability to overcome that kind of adversity that Wilson hasn't matched IMO.

I also think Wilson has a better team around him than RGIII does, and doesn't make the same impact in the running game that RGIII does.

---------- Post added December-24th-2012 at 10:03 AM ----------

And so it happend. I've got to say that I'm very impressed with Seattle and they scare me the most out of any playoff team!

Only if you have to play them in Seattle.

I'll take them at home if we can get the home game. They're not the same team when they travel. I really would not want to match up with Green Bay. I think their strengths coincide with our weaknesses. SF would also be very tough because of how they can control the LoS, have the LBers and linemen to shut down our running game and then pass defense to cover us. Same way the Steelers beat up on us earlier in the year.

Seattle is good but we'll be able to matchup and defend that offense better than we would SF, GB, & ATL. Then it's just a matter of scoring on that terrific defense. Not an easy task but we do have an outstanding offense.

Indy tanked last year. They were a 10 win team for a dozen years straight, then all of a sudden go to 2 wins cause of a QB and now are back at 10 wins? They didn't lose much of anybody other than Garcon.

Luck is asked to do much but he makes some absolutely HORRIBLE decisions and throws that I have not seen RG3 or Wilson make. RG3 has thrown one bad pass this year that I can remember, the INT into double coverage in the red zone (can't remember vs. who). His other INTs have been tipped, or thrown while he was stepped on/hit.

You can't ignore the fact that Luck has put up awful numbers against bad teams.

I think if we beat Dallas, RG3 wins it.

Archived