Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Payroll Tax cut expires: 1k a year increase for 50k+

Thiebear

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

IF:

=================================

The White House, in its latest offer Monday to resolve the fiscal cliff, made a key concession that would be felt by every U.S. wage earner: allowing the expiration of the payroll tax cut, a provision that has lowered the workers’ share of Social Security taxes by two percentage points for the past two years. That translates into an average tax increase of about $1,000 a year for the typical American household making about $50,000 annually.

==================================

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/12/19/tax-increases-coming-whether-fiscal-cliff-is-averted-or-not/

Whats your take?

---------- Post added December-19th-2012 at 07:47 PM ----------

My take:

It's been necessary due to the economy and loss of income, but the we just keep borrowing to ensure the SS fund doesn't go bad even faster.

I hope its not one of 15 causing more than 2-3 thousand a year as a loss of 300+ a month on 50k+ could be detrimental to the economy like we haven't seen yet.

Looks like Obama is finally getting the things he wanted all along... :silly:

I have a friend who is a "screamer" and I've been listening to right wing talk radio lately to try and understand him a little better. I've been very impressed with the level of professionalism and polish of that money making operation. They really know what they are doing. It's like a whole alternative universe.

I, for one, do not mind paying more in taxes. I do not like government waste and all that, and I think there is plenty of it, but I think we should find the motivation to fix the spending problem by actually paying for the spending that we do.

I'd be OK with all of the tax cuts expiring, BUT . . .

Cutting the take-home pay of everybody in the US who has a job MIGHT have a negative impact on the economy. (Well, I assume that it will. The question is whether it will be a noticeable impact).

$38.46 per biweekly paycheck. Is it really that big a deal? .02% increase in taxes (if you make $50K)??

The typical American househould pisses away more than that on stupid stuff a year. Forego your daily latte and you've paid for this tax increase.

It's pretax income so it isn't even $38.46

$38.46 per biweekly paycheck. Is it really that big a deal? .02% increase in taxes (if you make $50K)??

The typical American househould pisses away more than that on stupid stuff a year. Forego your daily latte and you've paid for this tax increase.

I like my morning Starbucks latte and I certainly won't apologize for that.

Uh, it's a 2% increase. (Actually, to be more accurate, it's an increase of 2% of your gross pay, not 2% of your taxes.)

For every person who has earned income. (Including, for example, the famous 47% who "pay no taxes".)

Now, as to your larger point, is a 2% pay cut for every American with a job, really that big a deal? That's more a matter of opinion.

(Although I will point out that a 2% increase on "the rich" seems to be a huge deal. To a very large group of people.)

---------- Post added December-20th-2012 at 09:26 AM ----------

It's pretax income so it isn't even $38.46

His math is correct.

$50K gross pay, per year, divided by 26 pay periods, equals $1923 (gross pay) every 2 weeks.

2% of that is a tax increase of $38.46 every 2 weeks.

----------

That said, though. While that's only 2% of his paycheck, it represents what percentage of his discretionary spending?

That typical $50K household has a lot of expenses that don't change. Starting with mortgage, and going down from there.

That discretionary consumer spending, like it or not, represents a very big component of our economy. Pretty much the only component that creates jobs.

That's what I'm really worried about, with this tax hike: The possibility that this small amount of money will have a hugely disproportionate impact on the economy.

Sorry. Yes forgot to move that dang decimal place two spots again. 2%.

My main point is that $1,000 is an emotional number for many as most Americans prob don't have $1000 laying around. But when it is broken down to a functional amount it's a $20 week conversation. Why are we arguing over $20/week. Why are we holding the economy and world markets over $20 a week.

His math is correct.

$50K gross pay, per year, divided by 26 pay periods, equals $1923 (gross pay) every 2 weeks.

2% of that is a tax increase of $38.46 every 2 weeks.

His math is correct, just saying that SS comes out pre tax. The employee wouldn't see the whole $38.46 in their pay. It would be $38.46 - taxes. In addition, if they contributed to a 401K it would be even smaller.

You aren't losing the entire 2% OUT OF POCKET you are losing 2% of GROSS.

I'm fine with this. I am a liberal dude but firmly believe that the country as a whole would be a lot better if individuals practiced better personal financial responsibility (not spending what you don't have, etc). The US deficit is a glaring hole in our country and needs to be addressed. This is a method to realization. if it causes folks to further tighten their belts, then so be it.

But, we are only talking about < $38.

Perfectly fine with it. People want to fix the issues, they gotta do their part. Raise taxes and cut spending. Only way to dig out from under this mountain. If I have to pay an extra $1-5k/year more the rest of my life so that my daughter and her kids don't, so be it. We are supposed to leave our kids in a better spot than we were in. Buck up.

EDIT: Don't read that to mean I am happy with it.

I would've much preferred a gradual increase to avoid potential adverse side effects on the economy. All the tax cuts need to eventually expire, and all the spending cuts should stay in place, just not all at once in the middle of a supremely fragile and anemic economic "recovery." Bring this tax back up a half point this coming year, then 3/4 of a point up the next 2 years. Kill off loopholes this year, then let the Bush tax cuts expire next year.

I'm fine with this, and I say that as an employee of the Federal Government. I would like to see some give from the other end as well, reduced spending. If the budget still goes up, then what is the point of this? Let's try to avoid spending another billion dollars on the newest assault helicopter and actually put the money towards what is being proposed.

Basically this 2% payroll tax cut enabled me to have a flat paycheck the past 2 years (ie. it covered up the premium increases in my health care). So now I'm looking at $10 per paycheck increase in my health care premium and $40 increase in payroll tax. Oh, and my salary is flat again.

Bottom line is that it will be noticable to take home $50 less each paycheck. This is why I would have preferred not to take the payroll tax cut in the first place. (Yes, I know I should be glad we got a 2% cut past 2 years...).

This all pales in comparison to the armageddon that will happen if the Alternative Minimum Tax is not patched up this year. I'm not sure I'd hit it (apparently only joint earners making $150k-$700k would get hit).... but it scares me to think that I'd get an April surprise...

His math is correct, just saying that SS comes out pre tax. The employee wouldn't see the whole $38.46 in their pay. It would be $38.46 - taxes. In addition, if they contributed to a 401K it would be even smaller.

You aren't losing the entire 2% OUT OF POCKET you are losing 2% of GROSS.

His math is 100% correct. Whether the person contributes to a 401K or not.

(The money you contribute to a 401K, or an IRA, doesn't count as income for your INCOME tax. But that money does count for FICA taxes.)

My wife quit her job and is in graduate school full-time. I pay the all the bills, including the mortgage, with my salary. I budget out everything to the last penny every single paycheck. While $20 a week wouldn't be the end of the world and we could make it work, it would suck. With her in school, our budget is crazy tight right now. One year down, only one more to go. :) Looking forward to being a two income home again. :ols:

Wonder why the GOP isn't going beserk over the payroll tax increase that's about to hit. Hmmm....

I can see two possible major explanations.

1) It's not a tax hike on the rich. (The payroll tax only affects earned income, and only the first $110K. So it's a tax hike on everybody BUT the top 2%.)

2) It doesn't have Bush's name on it, therefore the Republican Party isn't getting credit for it.

Archived