Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cam Newton reportedly targeted at Pro Bowl last year

Mad Mike

Maybe his own teammate was one of the sources? I think Steve Smith and Jordan Gross were in that game last year.

And this story just came out. I wouldn't be surprised if some of Prisco's sources speak up.

It could be. I don't think it would be advisable for one of your own to be a cancer from within the organization (like T-Owens). Cam may be a jerk/immature, but I wouldn't want to diss my own teammate to a mediot or the public.

For those somehow defending Cam and thinking these stories (Pro Bowl) aren't true

do you have a post that is defending Cam and saying the stories arent true? I havent read a single one in this thread.

Dude, seriously, you're picking the wrong guy to defend. I live here. I could tell you stories all day about this nitwit.

I havent defended Cam at all in this thread. All I said is I question the timing of this story and the writer's motivations.

Let me add another: the sports talk radio hosts are forever trying to get him to come on, or at least call in to their show. He never does. Never has to my reccollection, in his two years there. His DADDY does his talking for him. I'm not making this up. They have his dad call in about once a week and his dad is speaking for Cam. Unbelievable. And like I said, Cam has been known to go on the sports talk radio in Atlanta on several occassions. Dickish, right?

How many times has RG3 been on local sports talk radio this season?

The reason why I have an issue with this story is that it comes across as a media type getting their feelings hurt or being stunned that a professional athlete is a jerk. Especially since these sports media types, ESPECIALLY TALK RADIO HEADS, are the biggest jerks imaginable. They shape the public mindset based on these things. Its the most annoying thing ever, and so many fans just fall hook line and sinker for it. It reminds me of the Lebron's a jerk stories that came out after The Decision., including one story about Lebron not liking "gourmet french fries."

Jay Glazer said some real stuff over the alleged Randy Moss story about him being upset at some cold food when he joined the Vikings in 2010. Glazer said many players in the NFL aren't the greatest of people to the point that it's not that serious as many of his peers make it out to be. Its probably why Glazer gets a lot of scoops and inside stories that he can go on record on, while guys like Pete Prisco have to run stories with "unnamed sources."

Pete Prisco comes across as one of these "he hurt my feelings" types, like the sports radio show you referenced earlier. Because of that, they run stories like this.

If this story is as old as it is, why didn Prisco run with it in the offseason? Was he waiting for Cam to have a below 2011 season so that he could use those quotes?

It could be. I don't think it would be advisable for one of your own to be a cancer from within the organization (like T-Owens). Cam may be a jerk/immature, but I wouldn't want to diss my own teammate to a mediot or the public.

Right, because none of his teammates have ever dissed him in the media.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8407553/carolina-panthers-wide-steve-smith-unhappy-quarterback-cam-newton

Asia: as far as your question of how many times RG3 has been on radio in DC, I honestly have no idea.

And no, you may not have said the facts of Prisco's stories being untrue, but you're still defending Cam in this thread. And I've seen you do it with nearly ever thread involving him. He's one of the worst guys you can't possibly defend, bro. Doesn't it tell you anything when his OWN teammates have called him out several times? Isn't it also telling that some of his own (if you believe Prisco) teammates in the Pro Bowl didn't like him?

Btw, the thing about Moss. Glazer had every right to say whatever he said. Do you not know the whole story behind that Moss incident? From what I can recount, the Vikings had some food catered in once and Moss just out the blew shouts something like "this food tastes like ****" and he wouldn't shut up. A lot of his teammates were embarrassed, because if I recall, the caters had actually heard his rant. Dude went full blown clown that day, bro.

As for this Cam story just now coming out: that is curious to me also. But as I said, the co-host here asked him today about that and Prisco said that it was a story he had started right after the Pro Bowl. I can't remember his exact reasoning for why just now putting it out there...Prisco also made it clear that he had nothing at all against Cam and that Cam had always been cool with him as far as being accessible. I have my doubts about that, but that's what he said. There's definitely some reasoning for why he's just now putting this out there, but only he would know.

Asia: as far as your question of how many times RG3 has been on radio in DC, I honestly have no idea.

this season, RG3 has been on DC radio just once. That was the Kevin and Rock show, and that was actually on NFLPA radio, not any local station. I may be wrong about this, so Im willing to be, but I dont recall any other local radio interview he has done since the season started.

And no, you may not have said the facts of Prisco's stories being untrue, but you're still defending Cam in this thread. And I've seen you do it with nearly ever thread involving him. He's one of the worst guys you can't possibly defend, bro. Doesn't it tell you anything when his OWN teammates have called him out several times? Isn't it also telling that some of his own (if you believe Prisco) teammates in the Pro Bowl didn't like him?

no, you are putting words in my mouth. I havent defended Cam once in this thread. My actions arent defending Cam. I didnt say that those quotes are untrue, and I even called dude a primadona.

I actually dont like Cam that much. The biggest issue I have is how he tried to blame his negative perceptions entering the league on other black QBs failures like Vince, Jamarcus Russell, and Akili Smith. It was the stupidest and most immature thing he has said during his time in the NFL, imo, and it disgusted me. He basically fed into the narrative that these jackoff media types like Pete Prisco have already penned. Its why I also salute RG3 because the media tried to play that game earlier in the year with the McNabb comments, and RG3 sidestepped it. Then he went further and said, "I want to be compared to Rogers and Brady and other of the best QBs." And he said Randall Cunningham was one of his favorite QBs, along with Elway and Vick.

I dont like Cam that much, but I dislike the media narrative even more. How he is compared to guys who are out of the NFL in his 2nd year. Or how "people are only judging Cam based off 25 games when they should be judging him off getting arrested as an 18 year old," which suggested earlier. THAT is what I have a problem with.

Btw, the thing about Moss. Glazer had every right to say whatever he said. Do you not know the whole story behind that Moss incident? From what I can recount, the Vikings had some food catered in once and Moss just out the blew shouts something like "this food tastes like ****" and he wouldn't shut up. A lot of his teammates were embarrassed, because if I recall, the caters had actually heard his rant. Dude went full blown clown that day, bro.

Well a)I dont know the Moss story because I wasnt there B) you missed Glazer's point. If Glazer was going to get his feelings hurt because an athlete he has to cover is kind of a jerk, he would probably quit. Glazer's whole point is that he is covering the player, not the person. Thats the point. Thats what we all really care about. Too many of these media members get their feelings hurt, or read something that hurts their feelings, and write or report stuff with that slant on their minds.

As for this Cam story just now coming out: that is curious to me also. But as I said, the co-host here asked him today about that and Prisco said that it was a story he had started right after the Pro Bowl. I can't remember his exact reasoning for why just now putting it out there...Prisco also made it clear that he had nothing at all against Cam and that Cam had always been cool with him as far as being accessible. I have my doubts about that, but that's what he said. There's definitely some reasoning for why he's just now putting this out there, but only he would know.

of course he has nothing against Cam, hence the need to mention the condo he purchased in this article.

its douchebag things like that, which causes me to be disgusted by the sports media.

Personally, I have no idea why Prisco sat on this. I also think Prisco is a dick. I don't think highly of Cam Newton either, and I don't question the validity of the article. Clearly he did something to rile them up, because they really reacted when he came into the game. I don't like his demeanor/antics. Never have. I also think his attitude will keep him from achieving the level of greatness that he is capable of.

He also must have split personalities or something, for Warren Moon to speak so highly of him, and vouch for him, yet from what I see of Cam, the words don't match up, at all.

Cam? Is that you? :ols:

Seriously dude, If you have some info that proves the story is garbage why don't you share. Because nothing in the story goes against what I have seen from him. A giant ego and extreme immaturity. Multiple sources were sited and the story fits what everyone saw in the game.

Cam may yet get his act together. I get the feeling that he can if he wants to. Maybe this is the kind of story that needs to come out for him to look in the mirror.

It's garbage because no one put their name behind it, I bet if this story came out about RGIII tomorrow you wouldn't feel the same way. The story is a hit job plain and simple, Pete Prisco is a hack. BTW here's the photographic evidence, why would you even run those pictures?

Pics

This passes for a story these days? 10 months after the game occurred? It's garbage TMZ level journalism plain and simple.

This dude couldn't get one person to go on the record for this story except for Cam and the Ravens PR guy and sat on it for 10 months. I'm not doubting the validity of it but it's trash

lol why are people upset that Cam is being 'unfairly' targeted? He brings it on himself. We heard we was a ****y douche, then we see him act like a ****y douche at pressers etc. Now, it's suddenly hard to believe he acted like a ****y douche at the pro bowl? **** Cam Newton, he appears to have a horrible attitude, and it doesn't surprise me at all to hear he disrespected NFL veterans.

and so what if the article doesn't give the exact names of players? It was probably Von Miller, so what, who cares who it was. It's not the first time names have been withheld for their own good. Players always open up when they know they'll be anonymous. With words like ******* lol, which has been associated with Cam anyway. Can't stand him really.

lol why are people upset that Cam is being 'unfairly' targeted? He brings it on himself. We heard we was a ****y douche, then we see him act like a ****y douche at pressers etc. Now, it's suddenly hard to believe he acted like a ****y douche at the pro bowl? **** Cam Newton, he appears to have a horrible attitude, and it doesn't surprise me at all to hear he disrespected NFL veterans.

and so what if the article doesn't give the exact names of players? It was probably Von Miller, so what, who cares who it was. It's not the first time names have been withheld for their own good. Players always open up when they know they'll be anonymous. With words like ******* lol, which has been associated with Cam anyway. Can't stand him really.

Nah dude, I doubt it was Von Miller. He was a rookie himself last year. It was probably veterans that he pissed off, other than just Ray Lewis. I wouldn't be shocked if Smith and Gross were the culprits. Afterall, both of those guys have called him out before. And that may explain why Prisco is just now dropping this bombshell, because they just lost to the lowly 1-10 Chiefs, to drop to 3-9. If the story would have came out then it wouldn't have near the impact as it would today. And Prisco isn't gonna come out and say it was Smith and/or Gross for obvious reasons.

Living just below Charlotte i am beginning to loathe Cam Newton. His stupid superman touchdown celebration and just his whole demeanor makes me sick. No wonder no one wants to rally around him. Make me appreciate RG3 that much more.

I "love" listening to the sportstalk on AM610 with Mac in the morning (really a Ravens fan) and the Drive with Taylor Zarzar (really a Raiders fan) and Marc James (really a Dolphins fan). Cam bashing 24/7.

Pete Prisco is a hack and a troll. How long has he been sitting on this? Can't tell me Prisco was recently polling guys who went to the PB last year for skinny on Newton. This is a HORRIBLE article and I can't give an ounce of respect to ANYONE who talks **** behind the comfort of an anonymous quote.

Why was this article even warranted? I've heard Cam criticized for having what was perceived as a "disingenuous" smile, not running over to a teammate quickly enough when he scored a TD, what he spends his money on, etc. Dudes are quick in here to throw stones at the man but quickly forget good deeds that he does such as giving a TD ball to the daughter of that Skins fan (thread on it last year) which made her day.

Articles like this, amongst other things, are getting to be a bit ridiculous.

It's garbage because no one put their name behind it, I bet if this story came out about RGIII tomorrow you wouldn't feel the same way. The story is a hit job plain and simple, Pete Prisco is a hack. BTW here's the photographic evidence, why would you even run those pictures?

Pics

This passes for a story these days? 10 months after the game occurred? It's garbage TMZ level journalism plain and simple.

This dude couldn't get one person to go on the record for this story except for Cam and the Ravens PR guy and sat on it for 10 months. I'm not doubting the validity of it but it's trash

pretty much man. Its unfortunate, but this is what sports fans want now.

---------- Post added December-6th-2012 at 10:06 AM ----------

Pete Prisco is a hack and a troll. How long has he been sitting on this? Can't tell me Prisco was recently polling guys who went to the PB last year for skinny on Newton. This is a HORRIBLE article and I can't give an ounce of respect to ANYONE who talks **** behind the comfort of an anonymous quote.

Why was this article even warranted? I've heard Cam criticized for having what was perceived as a "disingenuous" smile, not running over to a teammate quickly enough when he scored a TD, what he spends his money on, etc. Dudes are quick in here to throw stones at the man but quickly forget good deeds that he does such as giving a TD ball to the daughter of that Skins fan (thread on it last year) which made her day.

Articles like this, amongst other things, are getting to be a bit ridiculous.

its disgusting.

Newton has always rubbed me the wrong way. He has never been humble in my opinion. He is too worried about his "Superman" image. I know when people were celebrating like that he started to say "I invented that they are stealing it from me" The guy is terrible. Luckily, we have RG3 who has a damn good head on his shoulders and is always talked about his character

It's garbage because no one put their name behind it, I bet if this story came out about RGIII tomorrow you wouldn't feel the same way.

Yes, because we know ( or at least see) the type of person he is on tv, and how he receives effusive praise from others, continuously, for his actions off camera/behind closed doors. He would get this little thing called benefit of the doubt.

From what we have heard about Cam, whether it be FSUSkins 24 talking about how his friends were treated, or how he was kicked off of UF for the laptop incident, or his demeanor, or his antics, or his body language, or teammates asking him to keep his head up, all of those incidents would lead me to believe that he has character issues, and maturity issues, and when you get a report from unnamed sources saying that he acted like an ass at the Pro Bowl, and you see how the players reacted to him when he went in the game (clearly he did something to piss them off), the rumors match up with the person you see, where as a result, you do not get the benefit of the doubt.

Looks like a half hearted Michael Jackson impersonation. It's funny when he does it and they're down by like 3 td's.

Oh man when he scored against the Giants? and they were down large and he went to the middle of the endzone to do his celebration I was like "oh great your SuperCam.....did you look at the scoreboard?"

Yet another reason why I am thankful for RG3's parents.

They did a very good job.

I posted this a couple of weeks ago, but I was watching football at a local bar here one Sunday with my buddy who's a Panthers fan and an interview with RGIII came on the pregame show. We sat and watched the whole interview and after it was over, my friend said that the maturity level between Newton and RGIII is like night & day. I told him I'm VERY happy that we waited until this year to make a move for our future QB.

---------- Post added December-6th-2012 at 10:21 AM ----------

I'll also add that I don't think Newton will be a starter in the NFL in the next 3 years or so.

For those somehow defending Cam and thinking these stories (Pro Bowl) aren't true, then you obviously didn't watch the Pro Bowl last year. I could instantly tell that something was up. Like Sinister said, the level of play definitely intensified when he entered the game (on the defensive side). I just passed it off that they didn't want some rookie showing them up or something. The announcers even mentioned several times how the defensiver players were sorta treating him rougher than they normally do QBs in this game. It was funny as hell. And now this story is coming out...it all makes sense now.

Btw, Prisco had started working on this story (his words today) soon after the Pro Bowl. Why it's just coming out, I have no idea. He must have some motive for it though. Anyway, the co-host of the sports radio I was listening to earlier asked him this very thing and he sort of gave some vague response. I love it!

Real easy to see here. Look at the D line when other QB's are playing and then look at the D line when Cam is in (3:43). And it definitely looks like Derrick Johnson is trying to run him over when returning the INT/fumble. Cam just jumps out of the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yfWgQoAOJc

how much money do you want to put on that?

I know, right? Dudes SERIOUSLY think Cam won't be starting in 3 years???!!!??? L-M-A-O

All season long, we've heard about young quarterbacks, and for good reason. Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson, all rookies, are making major noise in the NFL, leading their teams to playoff contention, winning big games and putting up stellar numbers.

But that's just for right now. What about the long-term future? Of the 28 first- or second-year quarterbacks currently rostered in the NFL, how many will be top-notch starters for years? How many can bring home a championship?

I've evaluated each of the quarterbacks in their first or second years who have logged enough minutes to provide an idea of their future potential, judging them according to 11 key traits for quarterbacks (see box to right). Then I ranked the top 13 quarterbacks according to their future capabilities, placing them in three tiers: A, B and C. To show how they stack up physically, I've included their measurements and 40-yard dash times.

#3 in Group A

Archived