Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Kicking off the NFC playoff standings (Redskins Impacted By "Fail Mary" play)

E-Dog Night

Fiction. All good teams lose games. This is flawed logic. Look at every Super Bowl winner and you can point to one or two bad losses. Heck the skins beat the Packers the year they won the Super Bowl.

True, but cmon.. Carolina?! ;p

The team I'm eyeing is the Bears.

It's tough because the Redskins HAVE to win out in order for them to catch the Bears but the Bears have a tough one this week in Minnesota, who still are alive for a WC and then the next week they host the Packers. Very losable too.

Green Bay on the other hand just have one tough one, the game in Chicago next week. They do travel to Minnesota the final weekend but the Vikings are likely out of it by then so I'm not sure how much they will fight.

The good news with the Seahawks is that the 49ers will likely be needing that win in week 15 so they won't be rolling over.

Still, the Seahawks win in Chicago last week really hurt. Basically we have to win out to have a good shot. We lose one game, even if it's to an AFC team, and things will be tough unless a real collapse by either the Giants or Seahawks.

I had been thinking about how different the wildcard race would be if they'd lost like they should have.

Seattle does have very winnable games going forward, and if we lose one of our games, I don't see how they drop 2 of their remaining games.

Our best path to the playoffs runs through the East. Giants have to beat NO, @Atl, and @Balt. None of those are easy, and even after losing this week it seems like they might be a little ****y still. The vibe I get is they feel they beat themselves, with the missed field goal and the like, not that we beat them outright, and that's perfectly fine of them to think. That mindset will cause them to drop another game or two, and hopefully play themselves into a 9-7 final record. If we both go 9-7, we'll own the tiebreaker (the only way we lose it now is if they win @Phi and we lose both the Phi and Dal games, but then we'd be 8-8 at best).

But yeah, flip that one play, and we'd be in control of our own destiny. Now we need help.

IF THE SKINS WIN OUT IT DOESN'T MATTER.

There is no way the Giants and Seahawks both win out. Why would two terribly inconsistent teams finally tighten it up at precisely the same moment in the season? And then there's the Bears to consider, who just IR'd Urlacher.

True, but cmon.. Carolina?! ;p

The NFL nowadays is more about getting through the season with enough wins, and then getting hot at the right time.

That's how the Giants and Packers did it. Would you believe that the Giants D was in the bottom 10 last year? 27th in yards and 25th in points. That same Giants D that held every team they played in the playoffs to 20 points or less (ATL to 2, GB to 20, SF to 17, NE to 17). They got hot at the right time and made a run.

A bad loss or two won't take you out of the picture if you win some games where you're the underdog. The problem is just that if you lose 3+ games you should win, then you're probably missing the playoffs and overrated to begin with.

Been saying for a month that play is going to come back to kill us. Thanks again Roger. Seattle isn't losing 2 more games.

Seattle is about to lose their 2 starting CBs. They can still beat AZ but Buffalo and SF will take advantage and 1 or both of those games could be a loss. STL you never know either. So long as Skins win out then Seattle just has to lose 1 game.

IF THE SKINS WIN OUT IT DOESN'T MATTER.

There is no way the Giants and Seahawks both win out. Why would two terribly inconsistent teams finally tighten it up at precisely the same moment in the season? And then there's the Bears to consider, who just IR'd Urlacher.

I don't think it would happen either...but in your scenario at team that was 3-6 with an awful defense would have just won 7 straight to close out the year. The Seahawks or Giants winning 4 straight isn't nearly as ridiculous as that.

They actually talked about this on Mike & Mike this morning, how that controversy early in the season has a ripple effect now on other teams, and that if you change that one outcome, the Redskins - and not the Seahawks - would be the 6th seed at the moment. I'm trying not to dwell on it. But for us obsessive, long-suffering Redskins fans, it's hard. Every past failure or bad news I hear feels like that's going to be the thing that ruins the Redskins season.

Still a quarter-season left, hopefully it doesn't come down to this. Here's a positive spin - if the Packers had won that game, there would be slightly less urgency on them beating the Bears or Vikings down the stretch, and victories by the Packers in those games could help us on the wild-card front. Ok that's a stretch. But the conversation about the 5th seed being in-play is not. At least from the perspective of someone living in the Chicago area, I can tell you that there is a lot of concern about a Bears collapse. The recent losses, injuries, and past collapses are fueling a real negative vibe around here. Their game at MN will tell us a lot.

I think this team losing to two god awful teams, Carolina and St Louis hurt this team much more.

Whats the point of crying about a play the skins had absolutely nothing to do with?

St. Louis also beat the 49ers just this last week, so I don't know if I would label them god awful... They are definitely on the rise... With all those early drafts picks they should be lol

Seattle is about to lose their 2 starting CBs. They can still beat AZ but Buffalo and SF will take advantage and 1 or both of those games could be a loss. STL you never know either. So long as Skins win out then Seattle just has to lose 1 game.

We COULD win out but I don't think we will. I think we'll finish 9-7, and have to just hope for the best. The Giants may finish 9-7 as well. All probably will come down to tiebreakers which luckily we own most of.

These are total non-issue type of matters to me (as being mainly discussed here---it's a worthy story to knock the officials in general).

The fan-practice of isolating this or that random game event (especially when not in one of our actual games) that is "unfair" just smacks of "too happy to whine and *****" to me.

I don't even buy it (like a blown call that's significant) as worthy when it's in a game were actually playing most of the time.

I hold to the deal that if you're fortune is that tied to any single event (even in just one game you're actually in) than you need to up your game.

In most cases, of course, there are so many plays (even in just one game) that decide the outcome that isolating a couple and doing the "if not for that!" stuff just doesn't hold much water. Games go how they go---and in 95 out of a hundred times, it's silly to play the "gee, if only we hadn't been robbed on blah blah" thing.

Once in awhile there's an exceptional situation where someone truly is robbed in a direct and significant manner. Even then, over the course of an entire seaosn, it's one event in a list of many. Go over the film and find the one "should have been a TD" play on a game where your team lost by 7 or less and focus on that, is my view.

In a case like this, I think it's just pointless (often even stupid) to make anything out if it other that what it was--a bad call. If that one bogus score ends up affecting us (or anyone) than we (they) didn't do enough to guide their own destiny. Human error is a part of reality. If we hadn't made so many of our own, we wouldn't be affected by this kind of thing (how I look at it).

I think too many adult men are way too interested in ****ing, whining, and making excuses on sports message boards. I see it every day.

The "what-if" chart in E-Dog's OP has the Cowboys ahead of the Seahawks if both were 6-6. How is that possible if the Seahawks beat the Cowboys head-to-head?

This would be fun if it happened:

1) Falcons

2) 49ers

3) Packers

4) Redskins

5) WC team from East (Giants/Cowboys) or North (Bears)

6) Seahawks

Don't know if that would even be possible, but how cool would it be for the Skins to host a WC round game against a divisional opponent, and then for the Packers to get the Seahawks in a revenge game?

Nope. Not buying it. I'm obviously not a Seahawks fan but why am I the only one on the planet who doesn't think the call was that crazy. 4 hands were on the ball when everyone's feet hit the ground, it doesn't matter if it was 'more' in the other guy's chest. That is the way the rule is written and it's exactly why defenders are told to swat the ball down.

Geez, it's crazy how far people ran with that. It was fuel to hate on the replacements. If I'm a Packers fan? Yes I'm pissed the refs didn't decide to call it INT first. But Tate stuck his other hand on the ball at the last second. That's the rule.

Besides, it's very petty to go allll the way back to this play or any other one. I was surprised ESPN ran so far with it, and I'm surprised they're bringing it up now. I'm sure there were plenty of bad calls that kept teams out of scoring position somewhere in the year, it is absolutely pointless to bring it up.

While it is an interesting thought, and it's easier to get mad at something that happened in another game (even though it was probably the most bogus call I've ever seen), if we don't make the playoffs, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Week 2, when Josh Morgan spiked the ball at the opponent. Week 3, the horrible penalties on the final drive, week 5, RG3's injury and subsequent interceptions thrown by Kirk Cousins. Week 7, allowing Victor Cruz to get behind the defense and Santana fumbling on the subsequent drive and week 9, not showing up to face a challenged Panthers team. Changing just two of these five outcomes and we'd be 8-4 leading the NFC East right now. But, no reason to dwell on the past. Skins are playing good football and I feel like the best is yet to come. I believe in this team now.

Archived