Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What has turned this team around?

endzone_dave

After Pittsburgh and Carolina, thinks were looking bleak. The Skins looked horrible and it didn't look like there was much upside. I know turn-arounds can happen in the NFL, what turned it around for the Skins?

I'm going to say Garcon is a big part of it. Also the D is learning to hold it together a little better.

One word: Robert Griffin III

---------- Post added December-4th-2012 at 08:45 AM ----------

Sorry, I really meant to elaborate, but I couldn't resist my little joke. In my opinion, Robert Griffin III has that "IT" factor. His team recognizes it and voted him team captain. I really believe that his winning attitude is starting to rub off on his teammates in tangible ways. They are becoming confident in themselves and its showing on the field. Yes, football is still a team sport and we can't downplay the effects of Morris' contributions or Garcon's return to the lineup, but I honestly believe it all starts with the man behind center.

Garcon coming back. RGIII becoming offensive captain, Shanny's "evaluation" comments, the list goes on. This team has turned around so let's enjoy the ride.

Yeah, i think his return provided a rippling affect. His playmaking ability has given us a great boost of confidence.

Defense somewhat effective. Offensive line playing really well. Garçon back.

RG3 has been the same all year. It's the supporting cast that has to keep improving for us to succeed.

One word: Robert Griffin III

---------- Post added December-4th-2012 at 08:45 AM ----------

Sorry, I really meant to elaborate, but I couldn't resist my little joke. In my opinion, Robert Griffin III has that "IT" factor. His team recognizes it and voted him team captain. I really believe that his winning attitude is starting to rub off on his teammates in tangible ways. They are becoming confident in themselves and its showing on the field. Yes, football is still a team sport and we can't downplay the effects of Morris' contributions or Garcon's return to the lineup, but I honestly believe it all starts with the man behind center.

Robert, is god right now ... but, he was not too hot against the Steelers and Panthers, and that is what got us into trouble.

I really think our defense playing bend/don't break and our TO differential.

Robert, is god right now ... but, he was not too hot against the Steelers and Panthers, and that is what got us into trouble.

I really think our defense playing bend/don't break and our TO differential.

you must have missed the 12 dropped passes and 3 dropped td's in the stillerz game... Unless he's throwing the ball to himself I don't see what else he could have done in that one.

you must have missed the 12 dropped passes and 3 dropped td's in the stillerz game... Unless he's throwing the ball to himself I don't see what else he could have done in that one.

it was 10 drops (a few were questionsanble) and we scored after one of the drops, don't remember two other TD drops ... point is, robert was playing great for the majority of the season and the skins were still 3-6? so something, besides him and his play had to change right to get the skins on a roll? what was it?

@gortiz, I think you might be a bit too harsh in your evaluation of RGIII, at least in the Steelers game. They dropped 10 passes and he had to throw 2 more away because his receivers were not getting open and running slow, lackadaisical routes. He did everything he could in that game but again, his supporting cast of receivers must show up to play if they want to win, especially against an experienced team as the Steelers. You only have so much room for error.

The only game that I believe RGIII played subpar was in the Carolina game. He just seemed off, for whatever reason. You also have to remember we lost games due to the kicker missing 3 field goals in one game; we lost a game when Morgan imploded by throwing the ball at a player who instigated a response from Morgan (on that final drive); more unsportsman penalties against the coaching staff in another game, again in the final stages of the game when we were driving for victory; the Atlanta game, we were ahead when RGII got KOed and lost...so if you really look at it, give or take a few things away, if the team had played better 1/2 of the times when we lost, we probably would be sitting here with an 8-4 or 9-3 record.

I hate to look at suppositions but the fact remains there has been so much poor play prior to the bye week that we shouldn't even be sitting here at 6-6. It's just refreshing to know the team has new resolve, new purpose, leaders stepping up, the defense has tightened and they are playing on a high.

RG3 is a major factor. The team rallying around him! The play calling has been very good recently and if that's not it then the players have been executing the plays that have been called much better.

Btw, Niles Paul for any good qualities that he may have drops every other pass. It's really annoying. Great kickoff return though!

We started to do our midseason slide, when Shanny named RG3 the team captain, said the season was over and then put everyone on notice.

It became do or die time and it was placed squarely on the shoulders of our franchise player and he has risen to it and taken a hold of this team and may never let it go.

Hail RG3 and HttR!

I think RGIII and Fletch got together as captains out of mutual respect, and said "let's go get this m'fer!". Says alot for RGIII, that a fine man as Fletch would take a young QB as an equal, and decide to plant a flag. Back to back. To the pit of hell and back. We got this, All the way.

Hail

Everyone has had great points for why the Redskins are playing better, but everyone is overlooking the biggest and most important reason. I will give you a hint, he broke his arm in the season opener. Thats right with Nick Sundberg the Redskins are 4-0, so no need for anymore discussion.

Shanny pissed and put the whole team on notice. When you tell your employees you better shape up or ship out. It is amazing how the same employes will do a much better job when they know their jobs might be on the line. It wasn't RG3. He has been trying to play his guts out from day one.

After Pittsburgh and Carolina, thinks were looking bleak. The Skins looked horrible and it didn't look like there was much upside. I know turn-arounds can happen in the NFL, what turned it around for the Skins?

I'm going to say Garcon is a big part of it. Also the D is learning to hold it together a little better.

I think it was a mistake for people to assume that the Steelers and Panthers game constituted a trend in the first place. This team is the same team it was in the first seven games of the season. If anything has changed for the better, it is a result of the development of some of our younger players and the addition of a reliable kicker.

Pierre coming back, and receivers catching the ball instead of dropping it.

Shanahan evaluation process threat and the motivational sheets posted in the locker room.

The performance of our OL making holes for Alfred and protecting Robert.

WRs and play calling. Our WR play went from league-worst (8 drops vs. Steelers, Hankerson drops sure TD) to competent (not dropping sure TD passes) to amazing (Moss beating double team, Garcon catch and run). RG3 has also been unleashed. He was a game manager the first 9 games of the season. Yes he had insanely good games, especially on the ground, but his role as a passer was very conservative. The moment he threw that ball into double coverage to Moss on the 2 yard line, a new era began. Thank god the guy on the other end made the play.

I am convinced that if push comes to shove and we have to score continuously in a shootout, he can hang with any opposing QB as long as our WRs make the plays they need to. There will come a day when RG3 beats Rodgers, Brady, or Brees 48-41 with 4+ TDs. Hopefully it's this year.

edit: wait, he already did that. he will do it again then ;)

Archived