Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What has turned this team around?

endzone_dave

The D is getting a little better (other than loosing a starting CB to stupidity :doh:) but I don't see this as a "turn around". This is the same team that has been playing all year. The Skins lack the talent to be a truly dominant team but they are very dangerous and have been able to continue to improve on the details. If there *is* a "turn around" I would have to say that the team is starting to believe they can win, but I still say that's just part of an ongoing process.

I think this was a major part of it as well. I thought when he made the comments it seemed like an obvious attempt to get some this team fired up about something.

Shanahan has made several comments that have defined the team. The first came pre-season when he said "talk is cheap", a theme he has continued to repeat. The second was a week before he made the comments about evaluating players, which I took as only *part* of the whole message when he basically told the vets to put up or shut up.

RG3 has also been unleashed. He was a game manager the first 9 games of the season. Yes he had insanely good games, especially on the ground, but his role as a passer was very conservative. The moment he threw that ball into double coverage to Moss on the 2 yard line, a new era began.

Honestly, I think this has a ton to do with it. At the beginning of the year, we weren't taking any shots down the field. Teams were playing the safeties up and it made it more difficult to do anything. After a couple RG3 bombs to blazing fast wide receivers, teams have gotten a bit nervous and backed their safeties up. This helps open up the running game and 10-20 yard passes. The Giants safeties were so far back, they weren't even on the screen many times. That's when you can tell a team respects your QBs deep ball. And when that happens, many things open up.

Simple. There are other factors but the main is the coaches. Young guys maturing, wrs stepping up, Garcon, forcing turnovers. I know its not the popular answer.

Mike motivated.

Kyle has taken more shots and opened up the field.

Haz is bringing more rushers and getting pressure.

Archived