Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Rookie Year in Pro Sports History?

Sticksboi05

Coming off Mike Trout's comical rookie season in which he could've easily won American League MVP, was it the greatest rookie season in North American pro sports history? And if not, which season is.

Pick one season. It's pointless to just list five in repeated posts. Which single season, stands above the rest?

Wes Unseld was also both NBA Rookie of the Year and MVP in 1968, his first season with the Bullets, the only person other than Wilt to do so. He averaged 18.1 rebounds that year and the Bullets went from last place the previous season to the Division title in 68.

Wilt Chamberlain's rookie year

In the NFL? Eric Dickerson's rookie year or Randy Moss' rookie year.

In MLB, Mike Trout.

I wanted to say Moss, but he said list one. But those are the two I would go with.

Ironically, I think both of those teams (Dickerson's Rams and Moss's Vikings) Beat the Cowboys in the playoffs.

Coming soon to ES: Sticksboi05's top ten best countdown/rating threads.

I'll have to go with Magic. Took his team to the playoffs and played all 5 positions during the series. Won it all w/o Kareen even playing in the final game. I think he was either 19 or 20 years old too. Seems hard to beat that one.

This is sort of cheating, but in 2001 Ichiro hit .350, had 242 hits and 56 stolen bases, was an All Star, Rookie of the Year, MVP, Gold Glover and Silver Slugger. By this time the Mariners had lost ARod, Griffey and Randy Johnson. Still, the Ms set the all time mark for wins in a season (116). Incredibly, the Oakland As won 102 games that year and finished 14 games out of first place. For context, the Nats had MLB's best record this year with 98 wins. The only limitations here are 1) Ichiro was a MLB rookie, but clearly in his prime performance years and 2) the Ms lost in the ALCS to the Yankees.

By the way, Ichiro had 200 hits, won the Gold Glove and was an All Star in each of his first 10 years in MLB. What an amazing player.

Coming soon to ES: Sticksboi05's top ten best countdown/rating threads.

I'll have to go with Magic. Took his team to the playoffs and played all 5 positions during the series. Won it all w/o Kareen even playing in the final game. I think he was either 19 or 20 years old too. Seems hard to beat that one.

I mean everyone has opinions, but let not pretend that Kareem didnt win the MVP that season and should have won Finals MVP if people werent caught up in the moment.

Gretsky's first year in the NHL was in 1979-1980:

51 Goals

86 Assists

137 Points

Those numbers represented the highest point totals by a first year player in NHL history. He won the first of 8 MVP's in a row. He was ineligible for rookie of the year because of his previous year of experience in the defunct WHL.

Archived