Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Babin just released by the Eagles - Should we make a run?

chunglao

:ols: I love these threads. :silly: In all seriousness, this has the whole feel of the equivalent of the Florida Marlins let's-shed-payroll (and make no mistake, I'm not a Marlin's fan in any way ;)- Go Cardinals). This should be viewed as the first of many surprising moves coming from the Feebles in the next coming weeks now that they are virtually in 2013 mode. :D

Babin is a decent player, and given the situation on our defense, he might be a decent pickup for a run to the playoffs if he comes cheap. That, and if the coaching staff feels he could positively contribute to the defense. Otherwise, it more than likely is viewed as one of those "I'll pass" kind of things. Nothing to get worked up over, as some would have it. :silly: If Shanny and co. feel he can help in our push to reach the playoffs, I'm good with it. The question is, do they feel he can help and who do you get rid of to make a roster spot for him?

My thoughts? They stay the course with who they have and pass on Babin. It's not like they need his intel to defeat the Iggles. :ols: Obviously, RG3 has all the intel he needs to handle that. :D

it sounds like Babin wanted out, due to the classlessness of their fans..

i was cringing, every time i heard them boo, the other day.. i actually felt bad for Reid.. after all he's done for that franchise.. eagles fans should be ashamed..

we have our own stereotype, however its the exact opposite of theirs.. we get behind and find the silver lining no matter what :)

its good to be a skin. hail!

I'll defer to those skins fans that regularly attend games and I'll readily admit I have not heard our fans boo like the Eagles fans did the other day, but we have certainly had our fair share of lack of support or even booing at games too. We've had several players in the past admit they enjoy playing away games because they don't have to put up with our own home fans giving them **** near the bench the whole game and it has certainly had a few casualties in terms of players that no longer wanted to be here. I agree that many of us feel extremely upbeat every offseason, and Eagles fans are in a level all their own, but I would not exactly paint a vivid picture of unwavering support when our team plays poorly.

If you want an example of that, look at Cleveland fans. They are the definition of unconditional fans. I lived near there most of my life and no matter how ****ty they are, the fans show up and give them love any time the slightest thing goes right.

I think one of the best things about the new regime at Redskins Park is we don't overvalue other teams trash. We go for younger players and players other teams want to sign. It is so much better than it use to be. We would have traded fro Babin if this was the same scenario 3 years ago.

Aside from McNabb who have we picked up like this?

So you expect him to just change positions in like a week AND be effective?

its worth a shot. For the last 5 games (maybe even just a a pash rusher). Seriously have Redskins fans ever heard of low risk/high reward?

If he fails well it would just be getting the same production were getting anyways, snyder loses another 1.6 million for the year, and we get rid of him at seasons end. Reward is anything better than that.

Jason Babin is trash.

Utter failure in both the 3-4 and the normal 4-3 defenses (he was drafted as a 3-4 OLB). Pretty much worthless when asked to do other things than rush the passer. Terrible locker room guy. Terrible intangibles. Doesn't really care about football. Jim Washburn product (see Haynesworth, Albert). Thuggish just like EVERY "star" DL that goes through the Fisher/Washburn/Schwartz/Gregg Williams pipeline.

Seriously, why would anyone want this guy? Cool, he has 5.5 sacks. Kerrigan would have double digits easy by now playing in the Wide 9, and Rak would be pushing 20 by season's end, because both of them are better players than Cole and Babin.

[

DogofWar, your signature doesn't make sense. David Windham asked the question, right? But the quote says that "He" is David Windham, friend of RGIII, who responded.

I'm confusered. :(

Oh, and hell no on Babin. We don't even know why he was released, and if you are productive and get just plain RELEASED from a team, then something bad happened. No more drama, plz.

Actually you are right - he played OLB in their 3-4 in his rookie year, I had forgotten that. But they switched to the 4-3 in his second year (the year they drafted Mario Williams) and he switched to DE. `so he has 1 year (I think) of playing as an OLB in a 3-4 but has played DE in a 4-3 since then.

At best for us he would be a situational pass rusher playing some DE when we go to 4 down lineman or stand up rush end when we go to our nickle or dime packages. He will want to go to a 4-3 team and thats who would get the best (if there is any left) value from him. Not us.

Mario Williams was drafted in 2006.

Jason Babin played OLB under Dom Capers, one of the best 3-4 coordinators in the game for the first two seasons of his career and was an absolute bust.

He has 17.5 sacks in 6 seasons not with Jim Washburn. In 3 seasons with him he has 36. Maybe if we let him pin his ears back and solely pass rush (like he does under Washburn) we'll get a slight improvement in our pass rush. For the $1.6 we would owe him this season, the $4.325 in 2013, $6.175 in 2014, and $6.15 in 2015 we would be married to I don't see it being worth it. Our salary cap is already a mess after the penalty so why further exacerbate the problem for a player that doesn't fit our system or our long term plans?

If I'm Shanahan/Allen I have zero interest in Jason Babin even before taking into considering that he's a dirty player and a jerk.

And 5.5 this season.

And has never (again, as far as I can tell) played in the 3-4.

Which would be second on our team...

Normally I would say no. But it's not like it would hurt. We could use him on passing downs only. If he was motivated for the rest of the year it might be a boost. Certainly not a long term deal, though.

Archived