Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Babin just released by the Eagles - Should we make a run?

chunglao

He is far too undersized to be 3-4 linemen' date=' and doesnt really do anything but rush the passer, therefore, wouldnt be a good fit for an OLB in a 3-4, which requires other things besides rushing.

*waves hand "This is not the free agent you're looking for. Move along."[/quote']

actually, a 3-4 OLB's main duty and primary duty is to rush the passer. You're talking about a 4-3... Rarely do OLB's in the 3-4 cover.

left college as a first round 4-3 DE, coverted to a 3-4 OLB but was average. His true standout moment came from the switch to the Wide-9 in Philthy. He may be decent on the standup bullrush in the 3-4 for 1st and 2nd downs but I would let Rob Jackson stand in for 3rd down and pass coverage. Can't be any worse than Chris Wilson as far as a stop-gap until 'Rak returns...vet min + incentives if we truly believe we can make a run this year

nah, Babin was a beast in Tennessee his last year.

Its why he got the contract in Philly, but its been a 2 season wonder for him.

nah, Babin was a beast in Tennessee his last year.

Its why he got the contract in Philly, but its been a 2 season wonder for him.

True, he did have a good season in Tennessee, but he has been around for a while and has not done much of anything under a coach other than Jim Washburn.

Earlier this year, Babin strongly supported the "Wide Nine" defensive scheme put in place by d-line coordinator Jim Washburn. Babin has thrived under Washburn in Philly and Tennessee, but wilted anywhere else. Although the Eagles racked up sacks, Wide Nine failed at every other aspect. With the defense undergoing a complete makeover, Babin's won't be the last surprising release in Philadelphia.

http://deadspin.com/5963699/jason-babin-was-released-by-the-eagles

we're complaining about a dude getting 5.5 sacks when our best pass rusher only has 6.5? Honestly...even for a 5 game rental...what do we have to lose? I don't care about this attitude problems so long as he helps the secondary in passing downs. If we don't get him...fine...but to not even explore the option would be a sign of incompetence. We need talent. There is potential this could help with a playoff run.

No.

The guy can't play the run. He's undisciplined. He piles up stupid penalties. He's frequently lined up offsides. His attitude is complete and utter garbage. He was mediocre (at best) as an outside linebacker beffore. And he got cut by a 3-8 team that's been desperately looking for pass rush because, guess what; he sucks at rushing the passer in anything but Washburn's wide 9. He can't even get a pass rush playing in a regular 4-3 defense.

Just no. Threads like this are maddening. No, we should not take a shot on every cut, washed up jerk because once upon a time he played okay. He got cut for a reason. If he could play and he was worth it, the Eagles would've kept him. They didn't. The 3-8 Eagles who need all the help they can get decided Babin wasn't worth it.

Our defense is HORRIBLE and has had 11 games to build "chemistry and an identity." It is not happening. If Babin is a high character guy that works hard, you don't think he'll get accepted and the guys next won't play hard?? I doubt that.

We lost a pass rusher, he's a pass rusher, he's coming off an 18 sack season ...sure he's older, but I would at least look into it. OUR DEFENSE NEEDS HELP. You can't deny that.

But Babin is a 4-3 end and has no experience as a stand up OLB in a 3-4. Why would we want him and why would he want to come here?

we're complaining about a dude getting 5.5 sacks when our best pass rusher only has 6.5? Honestly...even for a 5 game rental...what do we have to lose? I don't care about this attitude problems so long as he helps the secondary in passing downs. If we don't get him...fine...but to not even explore the option would be a sign of incompetence. We need talent. There is potential this could help with a playoff run.

I doubt he is going to fit our defense, because he has only ever really fit one defense in his career. He has been largely irrelevant when he hasn't been coached by Jim Washburn. We'll see, but regardless of attitude, I don't think he is a fit.

No.

The guy can't play the run. He's undisciplined. He piles up stupid penalties. He's frequently lined up offsides. His attitude is complete and utter garbage. He was mediocre (at best) as an outside linebacker beffore. And he got cut by a 3-8 team that's been desperately looking for pass rush because, guess what; he sucks at rushing the passer in anything but Washburn's wide 9. He can't even get a pass rush playing in a regular 4-3 defense.

Just no. Threads like this are maddening. No, we should not take a shot on every cut, washed up jerk because once upon a time he played okay. He got cut for a reason. If he could play and he was worth it, the Eagles would've kept him. They didn't. The 3-8 Eagles who need all the help they can get decided Babin wasn't worth it.

His contract wasn't worth it, if he was on a cheaper contract he'd probably be around. He has had more production than anyone on our team outside of kerrigan with regards to rushing the passer. If you can bring him in for cheap and keep a short leash on him the only justifiable argument is that he's a mediocre 3-4 OLB. Guess what? We're a bad 3-4 unit as a whole, mediocre would be a step up. The eagles failures were across the board, to not explore the opportunity of harvesting talent would be wrong. The 49ers fixed our sins with Carlos, we're bound to find something worth a damn eventually right?

---------- Post added November-27th-2012 at 04:48 PM ----------

I doubt he is going to fit our defense, because he has only ever really fit one defense in his career. He has been largely irrelevant when he hasn't been coached by Jim Washburn. We'll see, but regardless of attitude, I don't think he is a fit.

I don't want him on the field unless its to pass rush...maybe I'm assuming...but we should be able to at least get him to competently rush the passer...I know he's mediocre in run support, and probably doesn't ever cover, but if he supplanted wilson as a rusher...what do we lose? (assuming its all for relatively cheap and doesn't deter from long term cap plans).

If you can bring him in for cheap and keep a short leash on him the only justifiable argument is that he's a mediocre 3-4 OLB. Guess what? We're a bad 3-4 unit as a whole, mediocre would be a step up.

But how do we even know that he is mediocre in a 3-4? If you try and bring in a player and introduce them to a new scheme and they suck, that is counterproductive. It could make a questionable defense even worse. We have learned that lesson before. He could very well be garbage in a scheme that he does not know just as easily as he could be mediocre.

Im not even gonna go into with how wrong that statement is. Do you watch any of our snaps on defense?

The SOLB (Kerrigan) responsibility is to cover TE's and the run game and blitz over 35 % of the time. The WOLB (Orakpo) responsibility is to cover short zones and man up on the RB while blitzing over 60 % of the time.... Yea, I watch football.

His contract wasn't worth it, if he was on a cheaper contract he'd probably be around. He has had more production than anyone on our team outside of kerrigan with regards to rushing the passer. If you can bring him in for cheap and keep a short leash on him the only justifiable argument is that he's a mediocre 3-4 OLB. Guess what? We're a bad 3-4 unit as a whole, mediocre would be a step up. The eagles failures were across the board, to not explore the opportunity of harvesting talent would be wrong. The 49ers fixed our sins with Carlos, we're bound to find something worth a damn eventually right?

1.) If we claim him off waivers, he's not cheap. We'd be picking up his contract from Philly.

2.) I said mediocre at best. Really, he sucked. Babin sucked as a 3-4 linebacker. He got traded from Houston for a nobody safety from Seattle, then got cut from Seattle as a DE and got cut. He got claimed by Kansas City and sucked in Kansas City, then got claimed by Philly, and he sucked in Philly. He's had an 8 year career and the only time he hasn't sucked has been two seasons, and not he can't even get on the field over Derek Landri (who?).

A guy is what he is. Babin sucks. He's sucked every year but two in his career.

3.) The 49ers picked up 'Los on the cheap as a free agent on a one year "prove it" deal. And 'Los, for all intents and purposes, is playing a lot more like he was in Washington this year then his Pro Bowl season 2011; okay, above average but not a playmaker and he drops interceptions.

You do not build a football team by scraping the bottom of the barrel everytime some jerk like Babin gets cut. Teams aren't in the business of letting good players or players who are worth the money they pay go.

And this is all a moot point because there's a bunch of 4-3 teams ahead of us in the waiver priority that will probably claim him before we get the chance.

Not interested at all. I've never been a fan and he just kind of rubs me the wrong way...kinda seems like a player with a bad/****y attitude, another Brian Cushing, if you will. Anyway, we have no need for an aging pass rusher. He plays strictly on Kerrigan's side and I'd rather continue to get some of these other guys playing experience. I say we go forward with the team and chemistry that we have right now. No need to bring in an established veteran right now that's going to be an outsider, especially one from a division rival.

If you can bring him in for cheap and keep a short leash on him the only justifiable argument is that he's a mediocre 3-4 OLB. Guess what? We're a bad 3-4 unit as a whole, mediocre would be a step up.

How do you know he is a mediocre 3-4 OLB? He has hardly played the position so its hard to know what he would be like standing up and having to drop into coverage as well as rush from a 2 point stance. He is a 4-3 DE, thats the only position he has had success at, and is well the wrong side of 30 - and not worth the gamble for us because of that if nothing else.

The SOLB (Kerrigan) responsibility is to cover TE's and the run game and blitz over 35 % of the time. The WOLB (Orakpo) responsibility is to cover short zones and man up on the RB while blitzing over 60 % of the time.... Yea, I watch football.

Yes, they rush majority of the time, but they still have other responsibilities, which proved my point. Babin can't play the run, nor can he play man/zone. If they want to bring him in here to just to play qb rush snaps, thats a waste of a roster spot and $$$. We have guys like Lorenzo and Jackson that are much more versatile.

But how do we even know that he is mediocre in a 3-4? If you try and bring in a player and introduce them to a new scheme and they suck, that is counterproductive. It could make a questionable defense even worse. We have learned that lesson before. He could very well be garbage in a scheme that he does not know just as easily as he could be mediocre.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011/7/29/2302376/in-depth-evaluations-of-rodgers-cromartie-and-jason-babin

the 2nd part of the article lends some agreement to your concern. His production was mediocre to bad as a rookie in his younger days. The thing is, his production doesn't seem any worse than we're getting right now...it might be presumptuous to say he's learned some subtle nuances of how to be more effective in the league now...but I think people are guarded for the wrong reasons. Fit is the only concern I can see...but I don't see how his production could actually be worse. Not my decision to make though, I just want the defense to catch a break, maybe Babin can be it? We'll see.

Archived