Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: How did you like the Brandon Meriweather era?

themurf

8198758478_97f5e7906d.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

By now you've no doubt heard the news that Washington Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather has been lost for the year after suffering a season-ending torn ACL against the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday.

This, of course, is a blow to Washington's defense that barely had time to get used to Meriweather in the lineup. That's because the two-time Pro Bowler was finally making his debut for the Redskins after missing the first nine games of the season after injuring ligaments in his other knee during the preseason.

The 28-year-old was close to playing earlier this season, but knocked himself out of the lineup after a freak collision with teammate Aldrick Robinson during pre-game warm-ups in Tampa Bay.

After suffering that setback, Meriweather finally got cleared to return to action and played with a purpose against the Eagles -- racking up seven tackles, two passes defended and an interception in one half of action.

"It felt great. It felt great to be back out there with the guys," he said. "You know, you went through the rain and the pain with them. The knee felt good. It felt real good. I was able to run out there and cut, and just to be in a competitive environment was actually better for it than anything."

And then his knee buckled in the early stages of the third quarter and, just like that, he was once again sidelined.

“He played great," Shanahan said. "You can’t ask a guy to play any better than he played. Thirty-seven plays, the tackles, pass breakups, the interception; he’s just a football player. Unfortunately, it’s the first time he’s ever been hurt. He’s never been hurt in the past. He’s has a couple shoulder sprains here and there, but every once and a while these things do happen. It was the right knee. He has never had any problem with the right knee before.”

If you're keeping score at home, the Redskins got to enjoy their preferred secondary for exactly two quarters of football in 2012.*

*And that's not counting safety Tanard Jackson, who was suspended indefinitely for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

As most of you know, I'm taking photos on the sidelines during Redskins games. Well, shortly after he came out of the game, Meriweather could be seen testing his right knee as he sprinted up and down the sideline.

Honestly, I thought the only reason he didn't return to action was because the game was already in hand and the coaching staff felt it was better to be overly cautious and save him for future games rather than risk losing him in a game that was all but decided against the pitiful Eagles.

Even though his time in the lineup was brief, his teammates truly believed he was one of the main reasons the Redskins defense finally put together a respectable outing in 2012.

"It was a huge boost to get him back," defensive end Stephen Bowen said. "Just having him out there gave us a lot of confidence and it seemed like everyone just played with a little more excitement."

In fact, anywhere I went in the post-game locker room, it was apparent Meriweather's teammates were thrilled to have him back in action.

"He got injured again, which is unfortunate, but for the two quarters he was out there he definitely gave us a lot of energy," said middle linebacker Perry Riley. "I mean, he played great. He had a pick and a couple big tackles. He played great for us."

Even head coach Mike Shanahan agreed the defense as a whole stepped up its game because of Meriweather's presence.

“I think any time you have a guy looking forward to playing, and he’s played at a high level, it’s great to have those guys out there," Shanahan said. "They add an air of confidence to your football team and more importantly, they make plays.”

For as bad as the Redskins secondary has been at times this season, it really was nice to see them finally make some plays. And it's safe to say 'Skins fans were eager to see if the dominating perform had more to do with Washington's ideal secondary or if it was simply a product of a terrible Eagles' offense that featured the worst offensive line in football and a rookie quarterback making his NFL debut.

"When those guys are healthy and they're playing together, they're as good as any secondary in the league if you ask me," Riley said. "If we can get him back healthy, I think we can do good things the rest of the season."

So much for that.

“He made some plays, as you could see," said Shanahan. "He made some nice tackles, pass breakups and he adds a lot to our football team. Now we’ll have some guys step up and play well in his spot. I thought D.J. [Gomes] came in and did a good job. After Brandon went down, he came in and had a nice hit in there. I’m expecting these guys to step up and take his spot.”

Anyone who heard Meriweather's post-game comments or saw how he was acting in the locker room had to believe the injury wasn't serious. After all, he was cracking jokes and going out of his way to downplay the situation.

"I didn't hurt nothing, man," Meriweather said. "I'm going to be back out there the next time you see me."

Unless that was his way of saying he's going to vanish until the 2013 season, I guess it's safe to say that's not the case.

Two things. One, he's under contract for next season so his era isn't technically "over" which is implied by the tone of your headline. Two, Reed Doughty must feel like **** seeing his teammates talk about how his replacement gave them a boost and helped them "finally put together a respectable outing."

Forehead,

I don't think it was so much a knock on Reed as it was a compliment for Meriweather. Reed has been a decent in the box defender for us. Not great in coverage, but he comes up and does okay. I think the primary problem has been the combination of our SS and FS. Meriweather paired with Williams is better simply due to Meriweather's ability to cover the field. Reed and Meriweather probably would have been a decent pairing as well. If we can get 31 healthy and pair him with a better FS, I think our secondary instantly improves for next year.

I can't find the "bang head into wall" emoticon, but that's how I feel...sigh.

With him in at safety, I thought the secondary actually looked like a professional football team against the Eagles.

we could really use his energy against Dall-ass; now, I'm a little worried that Romo sits to pee will exploit #41 and #37

Two things. One, he's under contract for next season so his era isn't technically "over" which is implied by the tone of your headline. Two, Reed Doughty must feel like **** seeing his teammates talk about how his replacement gave them a boost and helped them "finally put together a respectable outing."

And technically Jammal Brown is still employed by the Redskins as well, but that doesn't mean anyone should feel confident he's going to be a healthy and productive member of this franchise. My point is, Meriweather simply cannot stay healthy and there's no guarantee that's going to change down the road.

---------- Post added November-20th-2012 at 08:27 AM ----------

Your title is rubbing salt, my friend :)

Sigh.

Yeah, it had to be a kick in the pants to all of his teammates who were gushing about how well he played and how much of a spark he provided the rest of the guys on the beleaguered defense.

KDawg, maybe you're right, but it seems like a backhanded insult. Some of the plays Meriweather made yesterday, particularly the one where he helped blow up a screen, I can't imagin Reed making, ever. I'd love to see what he could do healthy, and paired with Tanard Jackson.

Well, not often am I speechless, but I don't know what to say here. This feels like one of those times where you bump you injured arm into a door jamb. (Insult to injury)

---------- Post added November-20th-2012 at 08:34 AM ----------

KDawg, maybe you're right, but it seems like a backhanded insult. Some of the plays Meriweather made yesterday, particularly the one where he helped blow up a screen, I can't imagin Reed making, ever. I'd love to see what he could do healthy, and paired with Tanard Jackson.

Your not alone.

We can do better than Brandon Meriweather, frankly. He's adequate. We can find someone adequate in the draft that isn't made of rice paper.

One thing Meriweather showed us is how far from adequate our secondary is. Even a pretty good performance is a shining beacon that brings hope to the rest of the D. lol

Still think that Gomes played well at the end of last year. So I have hope. Maybe they figured something out something over the bye.

Gomes caught my eye last week in the time he played. He looked solid. To me Gomes regressed last season after he looked so promising early on. It was like a nighmarish sequel to the Chris Horton Story. But - especially after Sunday - I agree with you on Gomes... I too have hope.

I also appluaded how Reed ran out to the huddle after Brandon went down and then I saw 24 head out there and Reed come off. And let me tell you, DJ brought his pipe with him on Sunday. Hopefully he packs it for the flight down to Dallas.

I can't find the "bang head into wall" emoticon, but that's how I feel...sigh.

With him in at safety, I thought the secondary actually looked like a professional football team against the Eagles.

we could really use his energy against Dall-ass; now, I'm a little worried that Romo sits to pee will exploit #41 and #37

:gus::gus::gus:

I really want both of them back to see what they can do. Add in Gomes with Bernstein and I think we have some pretty good safeties.

We can do better than Brandon Meriweather, frankly. He's adequate. We can find someone adequate in the draft that isn't made of rice paper.

One thing Meriweather showed us is how far from adequate our secondary is. Even a pretty good performance is a shining beacon that brings hope to the rest of the D. lol

Well, I'm not sure what the hell else is out there. I haven't seen the safety free agent lists for 2013, but with the 2nd cap penalty on the team, I'm not sure there is much more we can do.

Love your stuff as always Murf. For someone that had very little reps and coming off an injury he impreesed the hell out of me. He knew where to be and when to be there. Simply put? He read and reacted and left the thinking part out of it. It was a taste of what could've been. Time to spend the 2nd round pick on a safety. Period.

By my tally he was leading the team in tackles for the season before the first quarter ended. He makes our defense around 1000000000000% better.

I don't get the sentiment the guy is always hurt, this year is the first time he has been out. He was very durable from the time he was drafted until now, and I fully expect him back next year, hopefully with a decent FS like Jackson if Jackson gets his act together or if we get one in the draft. A second round pick can score a starting caliber FS.

Gomes caught my eye last week in the time he played. He looked solid. To me Gomes regressed last season after he looked so promising early on. It was like a nighmarish sequel to the Chris Horton Story. But - especially after Sunday - I agree with you on Gomes... I too have hope.

Speaking of Chris Horton... we may end up bringing HIM back at the rate we're going.

By my tally he was leading the team in tackles for the season before the first quarter ended. He makes our defense around 1000000000000% better.

I don't get the sentiment the guy is always hurt, this year is the first time he has been out. He was very durable from the time he was drafted until now, and I fully expect him back next year, hopefully with a decent FS like Jackson if Jackson gets his act together or if we get one in the draft. A second round pick can score a starting caliber FS.

I agree 1000000000000%.... It was a noticable difference and had me yelling with every hit!

Regardless if we get him back healthy with Jackson next season, we should pick two safeties up via draft or FA because our back-ups are just awful...

I am totally on board with Meriweather staying assuming he can get healthy. I'd give him a shot and hopefully Gomes can keep his play up as he did last season and becomes a good backup plan.

I had high hopes for BW and I think he showed how good a player he can be. By next year though he will have over a full year without much football though so staying in shape and being rusty would be a concern at that point.

I don't know if it was the fact of coming off a Bye week or Meriweather's presence but there was a lot of tenacity out there today. I'm all for keeping Meriweather and hopefully they bring it again and smash the Cowpukes on Thanksgiving! HTTR! BEAT DALLAS!

Archived