Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TWD Comics Thread: (WARNING---TV SHOW SPOILERS!)

rictus58

• 4 weeks later...

Not to get away from the ultimate topic of this thread but does anyone have any suggestions for other good comics/graphic novels? I got back into them with the Walking Dead over the last few years and am curious what other good series are out there. Just today I ordered the TPBs for the Wanted series, Nemesis, Dancer and Saga. Hoping they can catch my interest as much as Walking Dead did.

Not to get away from the ultimate topic of this thread but does anyone have any suggestions for other good comics/graphic novels? I got back into them with the Walking Dead over the last few years and am curious what other good series are out there. Just today I ordered the TPBs for the Wanted series, Nemesis, Dancer and Saga. Hoping they can catch my interest as much as Walking Dead did.

I liked As The World Dies by Rhiannon Frater. It's a 3 part story that follows two women who try to survive the zombie outbreak. For a while the OPCinHUMOR site had the pdfs posted for download...not sure if they are still available.

More info here:

http://astheworlddies.com/

I started with the Walking Dead, now I read a bunch of them.

Checkout Y: The Last Man, its written by the same guy who does Saga. Probably my favorite comic that I've read so far.

A good one that I would recommend for anyone is Comeback. Only two issues in, but the series is pretty cool so far.

Here is the plot of the #1 issue: Reconnect is more than a company - it's an opportunity for good. Reconnect can reverse tragedy by sending agents into the past to rescue your mother, your wife, your brother or father or child moments before their untimely death. Mark is one of these agents. He brings the rescued from the past to the present, to a blessed reunion with their loved ones. He saves lives...or does he?

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions!

I liked As The World Dies by Rhiannon Frater. It's a 3 part story that follows two women who try to survive the zombie outbreak. For a while the OPCinHUMOR site had the pdfs posted for download...not sure if they are still available.

More info here:

http://astheworlddies.com/

I love the zombie genre so I'll definitely be checking this out. Thanks for the heads up!

I started with the Walking Dead, now I read a bunch of them.

Checkout Y: The Last Man, its written by the same guy who does Saga. Probably my favorite comic that I've read so far.

I read a lot of good things about Y as well as Saga. If I dig the Saga series I will probably check out Y as well.

A good one that I would recommend for anyone is Comeback. Only two issues in, but the series is pretty cool so far.

Here is the plot of the #1 issue: Reconnect is more than a company - it's an opportunity for good. Reconnect can reverse tragedy by sending agents into the past to rescue your mother, your wife, your brother or father or child moments before their untimely death. Mark is one of these agents. He brings the rescued from the past to the present, to a blessed reunion with their loved ones. He saves lives...or does he?

Very interesting sounding premise, I'll have to look into this one too!

Anybody familiar with Nowhere Men or the Crossed series? Both of those caught my eye as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I am a reader of the comic but I buy the hardcover trades, the latest one, Book 8 only gets me through the 90's, but it sounds like there is the required 12 single issues released for a Book 9 to be published soon. EDIT: Just checked, Book 9 in September! Wooooo!

Without spoiling too much, tell me about this Negan guy.  He sounds like the biggest super-villain since The Governor, with the potential to be even worse/more badass.

Also, for another good comic that is relatively new, check out: REVIVAL

http://www.amazon.com/Revival-Vol-Youre-Among-Friends/dp/1607066599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374281379&sr=8-1&keywords=revival+comic

Cool seeing Wire alumni Lawerence Gilliard (D'Angelo Barksdale) is going to be on the show next season.  Looking forward to it.

I am a reader of the comic but I buy the hardcover trades, the latest one, Book 8 only gets me through the 90's, but it sounds like there is the required 12 single issues released for a Book 9 to be published soon. EDIT: Just checked, Book 9 in September! Wooooo!

Without spoiling too much, tell me about this Negan guy.  He sounds like the biggest super-villain since The Governor, with the potential to be even worse/more badass.

Also, for another good comic that is relatively new, check out: REVIVAL

http://www.amazon.com/Revival-Vol-Youre-Among-Friends/dp/1607066599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374281379&sr=8-1&keywords=revival+comic

Negan is basically a post-apocalyptic mob boss.  He goes to other groups and says, "I'll protect you, but you better give me stuff.... and if you don't, I'll kill you." 

• 4 months later...

So it does look like the Final Showdown at the Prison will occur finally on the show. The Governor will Die. Too bad Lori can't die twice on the show. I wonder if the Baby dies too.

Did anyone pick up the Tyrese special comic that came out last month?

I wondering if they're really going to lead the story back to the path of the comic... with Rick, Carl, M, and few select members hitting the road.

Eventually, they've gotta lead the story to Alexandria which would likely be next season.

And Rick never had his hand cut off so I'm wondering if they'll completely abandon that part of the story.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I`ve caught up to the last episode of Season 2. Carl`s character is simply annoying.... but only more annoying than Lori. How does a mom who can`t leave his bedside post-surgery and wouldn`t let him out of her sight-lines before Hershel`s farm.... all of a sudden do anything and everything BUT watch the kid the minute he`s back to health. What the hell is she doing exactly for 24 hours a day with no time to watch her son. Put that kid to friggin` work already :-)

And does anyone else notice the similarities between the show `Lost` and `The Walking Dead`:

(1) Rick Grimes = Jack

- The main acknowledged self-proclaimed leader of the group. The good guy intent on doing the right thing all the time. Jack`s a doctor... Grimes is a cop.

(2) Shane = Sawyer

- Another strong alpha male... capable and intent on doing things his own way. Constantly questioning Jack`s decisions and threatening to leave. Forming a small splinter group.

(3) Lori = Kate

- The tie of the love triangle between Rick and Shane. Loyal to Rick.... but doing just enough to lead Shane on to keep things interesting.

(4) Darrell = Sayid

- The outcast individual of the group..... with killer skills. Follows the leader Rick (Jack) primarily.

(5) Locke = Dale

- The wise intermediate between the 2 strong personalities (Rick and Shane).

(6) T-Dog = Micheal

- The token black dude that contribute a little muscle... but is basically irrelevant. The only difference here is the annoying kid is Rick`s (Carl) instead of Micheal`s.

And if anyone wants to fill in the blank as to what roles Glen/Andrea fill in.... and which of them fits Hurley`s character... be my guest :-)

Cheers.

Lol, I made those exact same comparisons when I first started watching not that long ago, being a huge fan of LOST. Exact.

Hurley is definitely Glenn, the glass half full guy with a sense of humor that brings some levity to the group (a welcome change from all the macho cowboys/badasses, and deep thinking old guys), can get on a personal level with any of the other characters, and is very useful, resourceful, and intelligent, and can keep a secret, but either feels, or is made to feel like he isn't contributing enough, or that people don't take him seriously (and the show kind of does it anyway) leaving himself open to manipulation. His character starts to evolve though into a guy with more balls. Edit, and he also forms a sort of unlikely romantic relationship (Libby/Maggie) where despite the guys obvious inexperience, things just click.

Andrea is Juliet, crushed that her sister is gone, desperately wanting to leave (or die), and gets brought back, only to be a pawn in someone else's game, playing both sides.

And Lori is definitely annoying as hell. Dumb ****, especially during the decision scene on Carl. She is the only character that I think is completely out of place... Not even believable.

Start watching Season 3 though.... Carl starts to pull some serious weight, and becomes a good character by season 4's mid season finale. Can't wait to see where things go with his character once things start up again

Not going to lie... season 2 dragged on -- the amount of episodes wasted on finding Sophia was insufferable -- and my wife almost gave up on the show as a result. I`ve never been able to get her to watch scary flicks... and I`ve never been into zombies myself. But there have been just enough good episodes that she`s starting to get into it. So we`re marathoning it as much as we can :-)

Breaking Bad is next.

I enjoy the pacing. I like the fact that it isn't all shooting/action, all survival, etc. Plenty of time for self reflection, spirituality, humor, action, etc. There were times when the Sophia stuff was secondary... And at the same time, I never got the feeling that Sophia was the only thing keeping the show going

I think the theme of the show is thinking from moment to moment, not just thinking about the main goal/task. At no point have I felt bored. I am always interested in each character and how each crisis further molds/warps/deteriorates them.

In some ways, the same character changes you see in Jack (Lost) as the years go on, you start to see in Rick, where their characters do complete 180's in terms of actions/mindset, and back again, and gone again.

I hope that made sense. I'm terrible at this.

Understood. Sophia being in the shed salvaged that story line... and I caught myself wondering if it was necessary to drag that story line out almost a week (in TV time). Perhaps it added to the impact of it... I haven`t reconciled that yet. It certainly bought time for some character development (Glen and his cazy new girlfriend, the zombies in the shed, Andrea and Shane, Darrell and his transformation back to his red-neck self, Lori`s pregnancy, etc). I suppose I never suspected that the group was supposed to stay at the farm.... so it was frustrating that they were taking so long to find this girl (who would undoubtedly be dead after spending a week alone in a forest) and holding up the plans to move on... thus endangering the group.

I`m certainly interested in finding out why the 2 security guard`s, the kid and Shane became zombies without being bit or scratched :-)

Archived