Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TWD Comics Thread: (WARNING---TV SHOW SPOILERS!)

rictus58

I'm thinking we'll likely see the Arlington Zone at the end of Season 4. Most of which might likely take place on the road.

+1 to the rant above. How am I expected to care about the characters when they give us nothing to care about?

I dunno, dude... remember they were scouted for days before one guy came up to them. Maybe it'll end kinda like that... where the scout reveals himself to them and tells them of a colony near DC... and they'll commit to going. /season 3. Then season 4 could be about the trek up 95.

Wasn't the scout a recruiter for Alexandria? I recall it being something like that... where not everyone was "Alexandria material."

I dunno, dude... remember they were scouted for days before one guy came up to them. Maybe it'll end kinda like that... where the scout reveals himself to them and tells them of a colony near DC... and they'll commit to going. /season 3. Then season 4 could be about the trek up 95.

Wasn't the scout a recruiter for Alexandria? I recall it being something like that... where not everyone was "Alexandria material."

yes. the gay guy. they also ended up getting a few new members. Included the guy from the first season and his son...who was a Zombie.

At this point, I'm also a little underwhelmed by the Gov. But I'm happy he doesn't have the look of the one in the Comics. That would be a little too much for me.

The thing is most character development can be done in films and tv shows through having characters talk with one another. Rick has had plenty moments of this- with Morgan in the beginning, with Shane in numerous places, with Carl in S2, with Laurie in numerous places. We get to have some glimpses into the type of person Rick is, his fears, his wants, and we begin to empathize with him, feel bad for him, root for him over others, etc. In the comics we get a whole lot of character development. Andrea and Dale laying in bed together talking about their situation, how they're coping with XYZ, Glenn and Maggie, Tyreese talking with Michonne about things, even quick development which was followed up by killing off a character, like when the comics quickly developed Donna and Allen only to kill her off the next morning and kill him off just a little while later leaving their two kids behind. This adds shock value. If we didn't know anything about them, their state of mind, their aspirations in this new world, etc. we would just see a couple of people dying and it wouldn't really mean much. It meant more knowing that just the night before dying in a place which was unbeknownst to her as a massive threat, Donna was speaking in a very positive light about what was to come and what she hoped they could accomplish moving forward. She was ready for the future and seemed to be ready to become a more prominent character in the series and then BAM! she's dead the next morning.

Eh I guess much of their audience would think the show was getting too boring if they actually took the time to go into any depth about the characters, but it would at least give us some stakes. As odd as it sounds "people dying" in a show of this nature (you know where the earth is swarming with undead zombies) aren't high enough stakes. We have to care about a character. That's what builds everything else in the entire story. It creates tension, hope, despair, and it creates those feelings within us as the audience. I guess some of the writers weren't paying attention the day at film school when they went over this basic stuff.

Of the characters they have tried to develop on the TV series, they make them unlikeable anyway. Carl and Lori. People couldn't wait for Lori to die. They made her too much of a *****. And Carl they made too much of a little punk. In the comic, he had no choice but to grow up fast, and they showed this with his murder of Shane.

That's spot on, the development of most- if at all- has been towards the negative. I personally count myself among the people who just couldn't wait for Lori or however they spell it in the books to die. Carl isn't nearly as likeable as in the comics because in the comics he has multiple talks with his dad where he says some pretty interesting things, even early on in the series. In the TV show they tried to have the talk between Carl and Rick but Rick just kept saying DON'T TALK, JUST LISTEN! and Carl was just being a little kid saying B-BUT....

Sure they had that scene in season 2 where he didn't kill that zombie in the woods with his gun and Dale was killed off by the same zombie (I think) and it seems like Carl learned something, and killing Shane it seems he changed somehow, but these things aren't really shown to us they are barely implied. The dialogue leaves much to be desired and doesn't reveal a lot about these people, at least not a lot which would be endearing.

Oh and the killing Shane scene in the comics- Shane was not a zombie, he was threatening Rick's life. Carl witnessed this and though he didn't want to, he felt he had no choice but to kill Shane to protect his father. Killing a close family friend in defense of his father has a major effect on Carl and like you said, it makes him grow up quickly. Carl shooting zombie Shane which he doesn't even know his father just murdered doesn't say much about Carl in the show. Everybody in the show is killing zombies left and right. Perhaps shooting his mother as in the last episode of the show means a lot more, and I think maybe the writers realized "oh **** we need to show that Carl is being forced to do these crazy adult things which are way beyond even the years of a normal adult" and decided to put that in there.

That's spot on, the development of most- if at all- has been towards the negative. I personally count myself among the people who just couldn't wait for Lori or however they spell it in the books to die. Carl isn't nearly as likeable as in the comics because in the comics he has multiple talks with his dad where he says some pretty interesting things, even early on in the series. In the TV show they tried to have the talk between Carl and Rick but Rick just kept saying DON'T TALK, JUST LISTEN! and Carl was just being a little kid saying B-BUT....

Sure they had that scene in season 2 where he didn't kill that zombie in the woods with his gun and Dale was killed off by the same zombie (I think) and it seems like Carl learned something, and killing Shane it seems he changed somehow, but these things aren't really shown to us they are barely implied. The dialogue leaves much to be desired and doesn't reveal a lot about these people, at least not a lot which would be endearing.

dont forget his solo runs in the prison on tv looking for supplies. I'm certainly not looking for a frame by frame re-creation of the comic( what would be the point in watching?), by they (the show writers) have these characters make some of the stupidest decisions during a zombie take-over. sure 11 year old boy, go venture into the unknown prison alone where one of your companions was just bitten. Where your father encountered inmates of unknown origin

I'd like to see the character Carl developed more... the things he went through in the comic were HUGE.

Remember the twin boys who lost their mother and father at a young age?

I wish they would have kept the kids in the story line of the tv show... it led to a crazy moment later on that Carl brought an end to.

When Carl killed Ben, I knew it was him even before the comics told us simply because of what Rick and Abraham were talking about on their way to find Morgan and raid the police station. It was a major moment as was Carl caring for his potentially dying father and facing the prospect of being totally alone in the world and in a completely unfamiliar place surrounded by threats.

The Walking Dead: Guess Who's (Finally) Being Introduced From the Comic Books?

Right now, I’ll treat this like a spoiler, even though it’s going to no doubt be well-promoted by the time it actually occurs on the series. But if you don’t want to know about a Walking Dead character from the comics finally coming to the TV show, look away!

Tyreese is coming to the show at last! Easily the most prominent character from the comics to have not been introduced (corresponding to when we would have met him in the comics), it had been assumed by many that Tyreese was simply not going to be in the series at all. Now however, TVOvermind.com reports he will be introduced on the series, played by Chad Coleman – known to fans of The Wire as Cutty.

In the comics, Tyreese was a pseudo celebrity among Rick’s group – a former professional football player whose zombie-killing weapon of choice is a hammer. He’s essentially Rick’s right hand man, though on the show, Daryl Dixon has arguably taken that spot. Hmm…

TVOvermind says we’ll meet Tyreese by the end of Season 3.

---------- Post added November-20th-2012 at 03:28 PM ----------

So I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that Maggie is going to be the one getting raped/tortured which will lead to her hanging herself as she did in the comics.

Um, I don't remember Maggie hanging herself in the comics. I have read every issue and she is still alive.

Um, I don't remember Maggie hanging herself in the comics. I have read every issue and she is still alive.

she didn't die. Glen ended up saving her.

can you post the text for the link you put up? It's blocked at my work.

Rumors are flying around that Glenn is going to die in the mid-season finale. Maybe they do this to make room for Tyrese.

So I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that Maggie is going to be the one getting raped/tortured which will lead to her hanging herself as she did in the comics.

The same thought crossed my mind. And I don't think Glenn will have a happy time either.

As of the end of the most recent TV episode, our crazed friend with the machete arm is chatting away with the Governor while Glenn and Maggie are presumably confined in some inescapable situation within the town. There's no way he'd leave them in the truck, say, or just let them out to wander within the town walls: "Hey amigos, I know I brought you here at gunpoint and I desperately want to know where you've been holed up lately to look so good 'cuz we're obviously going to shoot that place to hell for its supplies -- but why don't you just mill about here a bit and meet some folks whilst forgetting that your friends are critically dependent upon you to help save a baby from certain starvation."

No, it's not going to go well for them... and Glenn is a protective hothead whose need to prove himself slightly outstrips his competence in combat. At the very least, I don't see him keeping both of his hands.

No, it's not going to go well for them... and Glenn is a protective hothead whose need to prove himself slightly outstrips his competence in combat. At the very least, I don't see him keeping both of his hands.

I still think it will be rick who gets his hand cut off.

I'm not well versed in the comics, but I like where the TV series is headed. It doesn't have the crap hollywood antics where a heavy gun fight ensues, the heroes are out of ammo, take off running, and trip over a conveniently lost RV full of weapons and supplies. Its more believeable than that.

I'm stoked. Spoilers don't hurt my feelers, I just wish they'd feed Andrea to some biters lol. I also hope Darryl is the one that kills Meryl...fitting.

I was watching the episode the other night with my wife, who hasn't read the comics and refuses to for some reason. Anyway, the whole episode I was going: "Andrea never even meets the governor!!!!" Basically over and over. Oh well. There was no Darrell and no annoying redneck brother of Darrell whose name I can't totally remember in the comics either and they're not so bad. They attempted to have some more development of Darrell and Carl along with some other stuff last episode which was alright. Oh, and like 2 episodes ago my wife was convinced that Carol had died, then I think I recall reading people in the other thread talking about how Carol had died. The whole time I was sitting here thinking: All I saw was Carol went running away and they never showed her die, therefore she is not dead yet. This was an unpopular theory with my wife, especially when I was going "SEE? I TOLD YOU!" toward the end of the episode when they find her.

Oh, I still think they brought out the phone/crazy element a little too soon. I explained on an earlier page why the timing was much better in the books. Rick is in a very delirious state with being extremely sick and facing a much more bleak future than TV show Rick is currently facing. Whatever. My wife kept going: I don't get it how do they know his name? Who is he talking to again? Eventually I had to explain that he was going completely crazy and talking to voices in his head over a phone that isn't really ringing. She was sort of like: oh....they didn't do a very good job illustrating that...

I agree.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna have to check out that preview. Anyone worried about Carl in the comic? The kid's ballsy I'll say that. But i'm pretty concerned about what Negan might do with him. Carl isn't making **** any easier on Rick sneeking off and playing billy bad ass with Negan's group.

I'm gonna have to check out that preview. Anyone worried about Carl in the comic? The kid's ballsy I'll say that. But i'm pretty concerned about what Negan might do with him. Carl isn't making **** any easier on Rick sneeking off and playing billy bad ass with Negan's group.

Homie took a bullet to the eye, he might be un-killable.

Archived