Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Chalk Talk Discussion: Greatest Redskin Linebackers of All Time

KDawg

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

For me, nothing showed desire like Coleman. Small school, played his ass off, and was a no nonsense player; Fletch fits that mold, but before Fletch there was Coleman.

OKEE, [Neil] was a player who did his job without alot of attention; offenses often steered away from his area, and if I can't spell their name, THEY MUST BE GOOD! lol...

Fletcher - One of the constants on the D since he's been here, and often a lone bright spot.

Hanburger - I'm too young to have seen him play, but being in the HoF has to mean something. Plus his name is fun to say.

Harvey - One of the premier pass rushers I've seen in the B&G, always brought it, was just fun to watch.

Huff - Escaped from the Giants to come over to us and anchored his defense. First year here we ranked second in total D, and he helped us win the 72-41 game against New York.

Fletcher - The best LB we've had since the glory years. A great leader and smart player. Roll model.

Marshall and Gouveia - My favorite LBs from the 90-91 seasons (when I first started watching football and loving the Redskins).

Hanburger - HoF'er that I didn't get to see play, but if he's good enough for the Hall, he's good enough for this list.

Also, I'd like to specifically not vote for Arrington. He doesn't belong in the "80 Greatest".

This is starting to get interesting. Hanburger is way up right now.

Fletcher is 1 vote ahead of Huff for 2nd place.

Marshall is 4 votes ahead of Harvey and Coleman for 4th!

Who needs elections when you have ES "Best of" threads?!?

PS: I'm disappointed that LaVar is beating Gouveia and Andre Collins :(

Good Lord, could we have monte Coleman suit up for just a play or two so he could get 1 more tackle?

:ols:

On a related note, I find it just astonishing how stats end up either so close to each other (going into this week, Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning had the EXACT SAME number of passing yards) or close to a round number (round being ending in 5 or 0) so often.

Chris Hanburger's accolades are insane. He's considered one of the best pass rushing linebackers of all time, too bad he didn't play in an era where they recorded sacks. But just a quick copy pasta...

- Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2011

- 9× Pro Bowl selection (1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976)

- 4× First-team All-Pro selection (1972, 1973, 1975, 1976)

- 2× Second-team All-Pro selection (1969, 1974)

- 8× First-team All-Conference (1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976)

- 1972 NFL 101 NFC Defensive Player of the Year

I'm also not positive, but I think he was responsible for making the clothesline sack illegal in the NFL. That was his signature takedown move.

Damn!!! He was a beast

I'm voting for those I remember playing and that I've seen play.

Thus I'm voting Ken Harvey, Monte Coleman, Kurt Gouveia and Wilber Marshall.

Those four would have made an impressive wall for any offense in a 3-4 defense.

Then, put Dexter Manley, Dave Butz and Charles Mann in the trenches.

Does not sounds good for the opposing QB :)

Chris Hanburger's accolades are insane. He's considered one of the best pass rushing linebackers of all time, too bad he didn't play in an era where they recorded sacks. But just a quick copy pasta...

- Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2011

- 9× Pro Bowl selection (1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976)

- 4× First-team All-Pro selection (1972, 1973, 1975, 1976)

- 2× Second-team All-Pro selection (1969, 1974)

- 8× First-team All-Conference (1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976)

- 1972 NFL 101 NFC Defensive Player of the Year

I'm also not positive, but I think he was responsible for making the clothesline sack illegal in the NFL. That was his signature takedown move.

It's gotta be the guy that's in the Hall of Fame. And maybe him over Huff because half of Huff's career was as a Giant.

But how many of those other guys even made Pro Bowls, let alone were so great in a Redskin uniform to make the Hall. I mean, I loved Neil Olkewicz and Kurt Gouveia in their day as much as the next guy, but umm yeah, I don't think so. lol

It's gotta be the guy that's in the Hall of Fame. And maybe him over Huff because half of Huff's career was as a Giant.

But how many of those other guys even made Pro Bowls, let alone were so great in a Redskin uniform to make the Hall. I mean, I loved Neil Olkewicz and Kurt Gouveia in their day as much as the next guy, but umm yeah, I don't think so. lol

The Hall of Fame can be flawed as well. We're speaking to their value to the team and what they brought to the field. Not to their national accolades.

Think outside the box :)

And you're supposed to choose four ;)

I'm sorry, but Monte Coleman is getting WAY to much love in this poll.

He was an ok player. He played for a long time and D. Green was a freak of nature in that he didn't appear to slow down much as he got older.

He might have more value today in the era he played in as speed is more important today.

BUT he wasn't even a regular starter when he played. In 1987, he started 12 games. That's the most games he started in his career.

To suggest he was better than the likes of Marshal, Harvey, Fletcher, and Hanburger is insane.

The Hall of Fame can be flawed as well. We're speaking to their value to the team and what they brought to the field. Not to their national accolades.

Think outside the box :)

And you're supposed to choose four ;)

If Andre Collins is getting votes, inside the box seems a pretty comfortable spot. LOL

If Andre Collins is getting votes, inside the box seems a pretty comfortable spot. LOL

Take a look at his numbers, bud. He was a solid player for the Redskins throughout his tenure, and he put up better numbers in less games than London Fletcher, who is amongst the top.

It was said that perhaps he's not getting attention because he was quiet. Who knows. I liked him. Thought he was solid. :)

Archived