Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prediction: Leonard Hankerson is a full-time starter before the bye week

mdboost

He's been fairly good about his hands I think. I think we could also stand to run him on routes that are more beneficial to him. While I love his blocking and deep threat ability I want to see him finish plays a bit nastier. He's fairly quick to either get down or out of bounds...maybe his injury history has himself concerned? While it hasn't really cost us anything yet it may matter when we come up a yard short. Whenever Garcon returns, the middle of the field should open up for him even more.

I was thinking he and Garcon would be 1-2 starters during camp. I drafted him in the last round of our draft as a hunch, but I doubt I'll use him with Megatron, AJ Green and Wes Welker as my big 3.

Are you in a 2 person league?

I dont think Hank will be the starter though. Morgan is a quality chain mover and once Garcon gets back he is obviously the top guy. I also prefer Hank in the slot anyway.

Are you in a 2 person league?

I dont think Hank will be the starter though. Morgan is a quality chain mover and once Garcon gets back he is obviously the top guy. I also prefer Hank in the slot anyway.

10 teams. He's on my taxi squad. I have Michael Floyd and Alshon Jeffery in addition the Megatron, Welker and AJ Green.

What dropped passes? Are you guys saying this because of his reputation or has he really dropped alot of passes, because I have seen a couple, but not alot.

I think it stems mainly from his college years and last year's preseason. In college, despite going up and making some incredible one handed grabs, he also had issues catching. and We all know how his first preseason went. This year, he appears more comfortable to me, but still trying to get a hang of things. Case in point; when he almost dropped that touchdown pass from RG3 vs the Rams.

Despite all this, I'm still very high on the guy. He's our biggest receiver, and quite honestly, I've been dying for the Skins to have our own Andre Johnson type guy. Ever since we drafted him I've been saying to my friends, "Watch. This guy is gonna end up being our possession receiver for years to come."

What dropped passes? Are you guys saying this because of his reputation or has he really dropped alot of passes, because I have seen a couple, but not alot.

In conjunction with the post a little above this, he also had a shaky preseason this year. He dropped a few passes and, while I never thought it was the case, some were worried about him getting cut. Notes from training camp would mention shaky hands as well.

He just needs more time and confidence. He clearly has the build to pluck balls out of the air easily. I'd like to see him attack the ball and cleanly put it away... it'll come in time.

Here's just a small example:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/tag/_/name/leonard-hankerson

Josh Morgan looked better than Leonard Hankerson, who had a bad drop and slowed down for some reason on a deep throw from Griffin that fell incomplete. (talking about the Colts preseason game)

Just once I want to see us draft a wide receiver who does this. I'm tired of watching every other team find stud receivers that make a huge impact right away, while we cut our underperforming draft picks and sort through the free agent barrel for mid-tier castoffs.

Could you imagine the outrage if a 1st or 2nd pick was used on a wr the last couple or next couple years?

ES would literally melt down.

Edit..

Let's not forget that it's only Hanks second year.

Could you imagine the outrage if a 1st or 2nd pick was used on a wr the last couple or next couple years?

ES would literally melt down.

Edit..

Let's not forget that it's only Hanks second year.

Well yeah, that would be stupid. I'd be ticked if we took one that early. I just want to see us find a receiver -anywhere in the draft- who exceeds expectations. Hell, just meets expectations. The last time we drafted a 1,000 yard receiver was a decade ago, and that guy was washed up after his second year.

I'm tired of waiting around for our guys to "get it" (which they never do) while the AJ Greens, Julio Jones', Victor Cruzs, Torrey Smiths, etc etc, are lighting up defenses right out of the gate.

I think the way coaches use slant passes and 5 yd outs and bubble screens to get the QB in a flow should be used for Hank. If he gets, say, 5-7 catches each game (which is a stretch) I think this kids confidence would SOAR. He would be more comfortable and trust in himself. I wouldn't throw a ball to a guy who says "I'll try", I want a guy who says "I got this". Santana Moss, IMO, has WAY outperformed his abilities and stature. He has that type A personality, the alpha dog mentality and it made up for his physical lacking. If Hank develops that, the skys the limit because he has all the physical elements, just missing the mentality to be good if not great.

Hail!

With Pierre Garcon out, I think its been easy to see.... we dont really have any starters. They certainly didn't get open against the Bengals.

While I would love to see Hank grab the bull by the horns and take over in a starters role, it will be a big step for him. I have a hunch Briscoe is due to get a look after last weeks overall poor showing from our WR corp. The WR group is green, and we appear to be very dependent on Garcon to carry the load.

You know, I think Briscoe SHOULD get a look. I'm surprised he has not been involved, with the injury situation, as of yet. He has some proven on the field skills. The coaches need to get him some looks IMHO.

---------- Post added September-28th-2012 at 05:30 PM ----------

Hankerson is probably faster than Garcon but he isn't as explosive. It takes him longer to get to his top end speed than it does Garcon.

Garcon has run a 4.37 in the 40, and a 10.89 in the 100 meters in college. He has very good speed.

WRs typically hit their stride in year 3. By next year, we'll see if he's the next Brandon Marshall, or just the next Devin Thomas.

He's only really played in two games so far this season, and if you're just going by that, the return isn't that bad. Could argue already more promising then Devin Thomas. I want to see him used more in fade routs when we're in the red zone.

Hank Time is going to be a good one. He honestly just needs more reps. He missed the majority of last year, had to spend all of the offseason rehabbing, didn't get enough reps in the preseason with Griff and is now finally working himself into the starting lineup. It's going to take some time

As full of optimism as I was wrt the wr corps during the summer......pretty clear to me that the only real stud wr we have is garcon. He is a playmaker who makes a huge difference every time I have seen him in a game. Heck, hank has 6 catches in 3 games whereas garcon had 4 catches in one half. It is as if rgiii just has not found another rcvr......except maybe davis......who he is in sync with like he is with garcon. Pressure from the defenses may be partly to blame.....but I have just not seen another wr step up to the plate yet.

As someone else posted, I would give briscoe a try........even when garcon returns, we still need our other receivers to step up and make plays.

Hankerson is a possession WR he reminds me of Darnerien McCants, go figure they have the same number. Had a couple of drops too. Don't like those..He'll learn, and with Griff at QB he'll get alot of targets.

---------- Post added October-1st-2012 at 03:42 AM ----------

As full of optimism as I was wrt the wr corps during the summer......pretty clear to me that the only real stud wr we have is garcon. .

I still think Moss has a little more in the tank

Archived