Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ali vs. Tyson: Who Would Win?

skinsfan07

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Did not know that. Froem all I've read his power was what made him so dominant. Going to have go to and watch the Rumble once again!

No. If you want to see how good Foreman really was, go watch his fights against Frazier on youtube.

Ali totally frustrated Foreman, and took him out of his game in a way that no other fighter ever could have.

By the way, here is the list of top heavyweights of all time, in order, by the International Boxing Research Organization:

Joe Louis

Muhammad Ali

Jack Johnson

Jack Dempsey

Rocky Marciano

Larry Holmes

James J. Jeffries

George Foreman

Sonny Liston

Joe Frazier

Gene Tunney

Lennox Lewis

Mike Tyson

Evander Holyfield

Sam Langford

Jersey Joe Walcott

Ezzard Charles

Harry Wills

James J. Corbett

Bob Fitzsimmons

Everyone remembers Ali, Frazier, and Foreman out of the 70s. And most boxing fans remember Ken Norton. But there were just so many good fighters then, it was amazing. Ernie Shavers would have been the best boxer Tyson ever faced and he was maybe the 6th or 7th best heavyweight of the decade.

I'm not sure Tyson could have beaten an in his prime Larry Holmes. Holmes was another one of those boxers who just did not get hit.

It was hard to do in practice, but theoretically, beating Tyson was pretty easy. Just don't get knocked out in the first five rounds.

I have been reading, but didn't think I'd end up posting. I have posted before on Ali. I was a huge Tyson fan in his early career. Mike was a ferocious, fearless, and a fiercely powerful hitter at his best. Like Fat Al, his potential was even more awesome, limited skillset aside. Sadly they both suffered from that cripplingly severe limitation between their ears.

But I echo Predicto & LBK. I think Ali would have to fight smart and not be careless, but would have it well in hand. Having known people in the boxing profession for over four decades, I would contend it would be difficult to find many among them who would pick Tyson---it would have to be more of a "fluke win" (ala Aki ****ing it up). Some that I know would laugh at the idea more than not (though I don't think that's necessary). I would however reserve the right to ridicule anyone of the "Tyson wins easy" or even "Tyson no doubt" as the former is truly an idiotic position and the latter merely stupid.

I also am reluctant to bring it up, but as with many topics, age of the fan plays a role in these matters in how people judge "rankings" across the generations, and even people who might believe that to be so, often construe in an incorrect manner (it's not simply about "liking the one of your generation more"). In Ali's prime, there was a similar tendency to under-rate how formidable the Jack Johnson/Joe Louis/Marciano etc's of earlier generations were, too, when compared to the Foreman/Ali/Frazier etcs. This is, of course, even with an understanding that training and nutrition has improved. But it would be fun to watch some of those old 30-50 round (and longer) fights.

Joe Louis

Muhammad Ali

Jack Johnson

Jack Dempsey

Rocky Marciano

Larry Holmes

James J. Jeffries

George Foreman

Sonny Liston

Joe Frazier

Gene Tunney

Lennox Lewis

Mike Tyson

Evander Holyfield

Sam Langford

Jersey Joe Walcott

Ezzard Charles

Harry Wills

James J. Corbett

Bob Fitzsimmons

Interesting list, but how is Evander below Tyson? He beat him, and he's four years older than Mike. Evander did a better job of taking care of himself over the years, another indication of his superiority over Mike, in case the ass-whoopings werent enough.

If Evander Holyfield can frustrate Mike Tyson to the point of insanity, what do you think Muhammad Ali woulda done? And dont forget that Ali turned trash-talk into a science, he woulda had that dumb animal Mike Tyson in a mental hospital before the fight even started.

Interesting list, but how is Evander below Tyson? He beat him, and he's four years older than Mike. Evander did a better job of taking care of himself over the years, another indication of his superiority over Mike, in case the ass-whoopings werent enough.

If Evander Holyfield can frustrate Mike Tyson to the point of insanity, what do you think Muhammad Ali woulda done? And dont forget that Ali turned trash-talk into a science, he woulda had that dumb animal Mike Tyson in a mental hospital before the fight even started.

I agree that Holyfield should be over Tyson. Holyfield's body of work is a lot more impressive than Tyson's IMO.

Wasn't a fan of Ali's trash talking. The things he said about Frazier was totally uncalled for. But you are correct, he would have easily gotten into Tyson's head.

Because of Tyson's ability to utterly destroy so many lesser fighters early in his career. That is meaningful (not as meaningful as what Ali accomplished, but meaningful nevertheless).

Because of Tyson's ability to utterly destroy so many lesser fighters early in his career. That is meaningful (not as meaningful as what Ali accomplished, but meaningful nevertheless).

So, Tyson's ability to whoop lesser fighters than Evander, is more impressive than Evander's to whoop Tyson. Got it.

So, Tyson's ability to whoop lesser fighters than Evander, is more impressive than Evander's to whoop Tyson. Got it.

Not exactly. Evander whooped Mike after Mike 1) lost his air of invincibility by losing to Buster Douglas, and 2) went to jail.

The Tyson that Evander beat five and one half years later was not the same caliber of a fighter.

Not exactly. Evander whooped Mike after Mike 1) lost his air of invincibility by losing to Buster Douglas, and 2) went to jail.

The Tyson that Evander beat five and one half years later was not the same caliber of a fighter.

Tyson was actually favored in the first fight. It was Holyfield who was considered done when they fought the first time. Tyson was still a very formidable fighter when they fought.

1) How does Mike losing to Buster Douglas excuse Mike from losing to Evander?

2) Not Evander's fault. Plus, Evander is 4 years older than Mike, if anyone shoulda been past their physical prime when they fought, it was Evander.

Tyson was actually favored in the first fight. It was Holyfield who was considered done when they fought the first time. Tyson was still a very formidable fighter when they fought.

Only out of respect for what he was in the mid to late 80s. Completely dominant. Nothing we've ever seen. 91 second championship bouts.

Only out of respect for what he was in the mid to late 80s. Completely dominant. Nothing we've ever seen. 91 second championship bouts.

All that indicates to me is how weak boxing was in the late 80s. So few real contenders. Nothing like it was in Ali's time. Like someone said earlier, name one person that Tyson beat that deserves mention as a great all-time boxer. One. Just one.

Edit: Besides an over-the-hill Larry Holmes that had to be coaxed out of a nursing home

I don't think it was about the skill level of who Tyson beat more than it was about how he bea them. He dominated them. By the Douglas fight, he really didn't care much about his training. I think Tyson at his best would've given a lot of people trouble within the first few rounds. I don't think you can find many people who will say that Tyson (by the time he fought Holyfield) was anywhere close to the fighter he once was.

1) How does Mike losing to Buster Douglas excuse Mike from losing to Evander?

2) Not Evander's fault. Plus, Evander is 4 years older than Mike, if anyone shoulda been past their physical prime when they fought, it was Evander.

I didn't say it was Evander's "fault." I like Evander.

But Mike Tyson in 1995 was not the same fighter he had been in 1989. Not even close.

I didn't say it was Evander's "fault." I like Evander.

But Mike Tyson in 1995 was not the same fighter he had been in 1989. Not even close.

Which brings me to another point. :)

Ali dominated the best fighters of the older era as he came in, dominated his own era, and then dominated an era that came along after his prime. I could do this for weeks, really. Have I been? I don't even know because I've been so focused on Ali's greatness.

Which brings me to another point. :)

Ali dominated the best fighters of the older era as he came in, dominated his own era, and then dominated an era that came along after his prime. I could do this for weeks, really. Have I been? I don't even know because I've been so focused on Ali's greatness.

Hold on there. Please explain that one. Holmes was the era after Ali and Holmes whooped Ali's ass.

Ali was past his prime after being jailed.

More than that. Ali was almost 40, 15 years past his prime, when Holmes beat him.

---------- Post added September-26th-2012 at 05:50 PM ----------

He might have lost a little, but he was still Ali. He was in no way a hasbeen when he fought Frazier and Foreman.

But he definitely was when he fought Holmes.

More than that. Ali was almost 40, 15 years past his prime, when Holmes beat him.

---------- Post added September-26th-2012 at 05:50 PM ----------

But he definitely was when he fought Holmes.

I totally agree. He had no business being in the ring with Holmes.

Archived