Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ali vs. Tyson: Who Would Win?

skinsfan07

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, good to see about 60% of the posters in this thread have some boxing knowledge, vice the 38-40% that seem to have only superficial to no boxing knowledge.

I think that's short sighted and condescending. If it weren't an incredibly intriguing match-up, the question wouldn't be asked. Obviously, Ali has a much better resume, and the thing I like about him more than any fighter in any sport is that he constantly wanted to fight the best man possible. Win or lose, he put everything on the line to prove he was the absolute best fighter.

But in combat sports, looking at W's and L's and the quality of opposition means jack squat. Sorry everyone, this is what we call "MMA Math" over there in that other sport. It's all about styles. That's it. Period. I don't care who fought who beforehand, when Tyson gets in there against Cascious Clay, none of that matters. The question is, how do they match up?

Obviously, painfully even, young Clay would out-box Tyson if he could abvoid/absorb speed and power he's never seen before. Don't give me that Foreman BS. Foreman was a tall, massive, slapper. He overwhelmed opponents with a consistent barrage of lumbering fists. He didn't fight like Tyson, at all. The only stylistic similarity I see is that they both hurt people especially well when their punches landed. Besides, the Ali that fought Foreman was a totally different fighter than when he was in his prime. It's actually incredible the transition he went through. He switched from using elusive speed and technique, to having an unreal ability to absorb punishment.

The thing that stands out to me the most is the difference in athlete between the 60s and 80s. The 80s saw a huge boost in the quality of athlete. From Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders to MJ and Carl Lewis. Athletes across the table had a different tone, a noticeably different energy than decades past. Mike was the figurehead of this movement to me. He was built like a fullback, neck the size of Clinton Portis' neck, the guy was a different animal than Joe Frazier and Sonny Liston, I am sorry again.

Joe Frazier is one of my favorite combatants to ever watch, but when I watch film of young Mike, I see fists flying like I never saw before. It's of my opinion that Holyfield is lucky he didn't meet Tyson when he just became champion.

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if young Tyson went back to 1967 and knocked Ali out early in a match. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised of any logical outcome in favor of either fighter.

Ali was definitely a better boxer than Tyson but I don't it would get to that point. Mike in his prime would be able to dodge and absorb just enough to get close, and then it would be a wrap.

Again, this POV ignores the fact that no one ever came close to knocking out Ali, including people who hit harder than Tyson, so there's just no evidence to support it, nor any compelling argument in favor of it, unless you can somehow claim that Tyson would improve his power against Ali.

Tyson's only realistic chance of beating the guy with the hardest head since George Chuvalo is by decision or TKO, and those possibilities seem remote - unless we're talking about the post-ban Ali, then it's at least plausible.

Again, this POV ignores the fact that no one ever came close to knocking out Ali, including people who hit harder than Tyson, so there's just no evidence to support it, nor any compelling argument in favor of it, unless you can somehow claim that Tyson would improve his power against Ali.

Henry Cooper came close enough. Also, Ali had a TKO loss as an amateur fighter.

I'd likely still pick Ali in this match, but even a guy with a legendary chin can be rocked. And it's not necessarily the hardest puncher who does it.

Henry Cooper came close enough. Also, Ali had a TKO loss as an amateur fighter.

OK, but that was before Ali reached his prime. In his prime, no one came close. If we're asking if a peak Tyson can beat an immature, 207 pound Ali, then the answer is probably yes.

... even a guy with a legendary chin can be rocked. And it's not necessarily the hardest puncher who does it.

True, but that argument also supports Ali knocking Tyson out, and no one thinks Tyson's chin was equal to Ali's.

Still can't believe people are arguing that Tyson would have a chance. How many decent boxers did Tyson actually beat? I think the consensus is just one, he lost to every other good boxer he fought. And people are arguing that he would have a chance against oneof the top three, (if not best) heavy weight boxers ever?.

Like I said earlier about Leon Spinks in '78, was Tyson's prime actually in 1987-88?

What athletes have their prime at 19-21? Especially boxers.

You can make an argument we never saw the best of Tyson, and that was largely his fault.

But Tyson was not indestructible, not even close. Beating Mitch "Blood" Green-types doesnt make you indestructible.

Ken Norton and Joe Frazier were past their primes?

Sonny Liston was past his prime?

Floyd Patterson was past his prime?

Tyson never beat anyone as good as Earnie Shavers or Ron Lyle (who were both in their primes at that point), and you want to question Ali's resume? :ols:

And I have never heard of a boxer reaching their prime at 19-21, it doesnt happen because you are still physically superior but can mentally learn a lot of things.

Tyson was a very exciting fighter, and he came up at a time where a lot of athletes started to get overrated historically, imo (isnt it funny to anyone else that the late 80s/early 90s athletes are seen as mythical and irreproachable figures in sports? the NBA, boxing, NFL, to an extent the NHL and Tennis. My theory is this is when ESPN and cable hit their prime and advertising dollars came into the fold in a major way and it propped up guys legacies. Tyson was a beneficiary of that, imo but its just my theory). I get that Tyson's style was exciting, but he beat no one of note except for Michael Spinks, Tony Tucker, and maybe Razor Ruddock.

I think Ali would win. However I think Tyson would have a very good chance. He was untouchable until he got involved with Don King and lost his trainer Cus D'Amato. After That is when he went down hill, the partying, the technique got sloppy and all he did was try to power his way through fights; his defense declined terribly. But both in their prime would be a amazing fight too bad it couldn't happen. :)

I think Ali would win. However I think Tyson would have a very good chance. He was untouchable until he got involved with Don King and lost his trainer Cus D'Amato. After That is when he went down hill, the partying, the technique got sloppy and all he did was try to power his way through fights; his defense declined terribly. But both in their prime would be a amazing fight too bad it couldn't happen. :)

How can anyone prove they are untouchable though beating subpar competition?

How can anyone prove they are untouchable though beating subpar competition?

Well i dunno....lol. I think its the same way people argue Floyd Mayweather. Half the people think he is the best thing ever while the other half says he hasn't fought anyone. Tyson couldn't really help that the competition was lax and by the time he fought anyone decent (Evander) he had gone off the deep end.

Reading the thread might give you some insight into why the poll results are the way they are (and why the results mirror the overwhelming views of the boxing historians).

You're assuming I didn't read the thread because I'm surprised that the poll so heavily favors Ali? I don't see how you got that. I read the thread. I'm still surprised at the poll results. And I still disagree with them. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. We'll never know. But at least I won't try to be presumptive and put someone down in the process.

Well i dunno....lol. I think its the same way people argue Floyd Mayweather. Half the people think he is the best thing ever while the other half says he hasn't fought anyone. Tyson couldn't really help that the competition was lax and by the time he fought anyone decent (Evander) he had gone off the deep end.

a) the people who say that are not real boxing fans

B) comparing Mayweather to Tyson is absurd on so many different levels.

You're assuming I didn't read the thread because I'm surprised that the poll so heavily favors Ali? I don't see how you got that. I read the thread. I'm still surprised at the poll results. And I still disagree with them. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. We'll never know. But at least I won't try to be presumptive and put someone down in the process.

I was just your comment. It kind of looked like you hadn't read the thread at all. My mistake.

Archived