Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ali vs. Tyson: Who Would Win?

skinsfan07

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Who?

Forman, Lyle, Ellis, Foley, Terrell, Williams, Liston. These were all big men with big jabs and heavy, heavy hands. The time it would take to compare each of these fighters to Lennox Lewis (and whether or not they would beat Lewis) isn't worth the effort (some of them could and some of them could not) but they are all Lennox Lewis types.

I'm well aware that these debates could go on forever and I'm not going to change anyone's mind about anything, but I'm 45 years old and I've seen a ton of HWs come and go in my lifetime. I was just as present for the Tyson and Lewis eras as I was for the Ali and Holmes eras and for my money, there has not been a HW since Ali's prime that could beat him.

I would also offer that Ali's "prime" was over before he even fought George Forman and he still beat George and a list of legends after that. He is the "Greatest of All Time" in the HW division so far. The only HW that truly fought as fast and as smart as a MW. The guy was simply amazing. Top-notch speed, power, conditioning, and ring savvy.

He also stayed on top of the game during intense public scrutiny (civil rights movement), controversy (imprisoned for refusing Viet nam during his prime), and took on all comers in the best HW era ever.

Chip has it right here, Tyson was a different fighter when with Cus and Rooney, and later just Rooney after Cus died.

Tyson looked good against bad fighters. As soon as he started fighting guys with good boxing skills, he got exposed.

Tyson looked good against bad fighters. As soon as he started fighting guys with good boxing skills, he got exposed.

While this is true Ali had trouble with guys like Mike Tyson (i.e. Joe Frazier) compact build looking to get inside and defending well. I still think Ali would win hands down but historically the brawlers, not boxers, gave Ali the most trouble. Few, if any, in the heavyweight division could out-box Ali.

you should name them.

The fighters greater than Lenox Lewis which Ali Fought in his career..

(1) Archie Moore

(2) Sony Liston (twice)

(4) Floyd Patterson (twice)

(6) Joe Frazier (three times)

(9) ken Norton (three times)

(12) Leon Spinks (twice)

(14) Larry Holmes

By the way- It has not even been mentioned that Ali fought his entire career in the 15 round era. This alone eliminates Tyson and lewis from contention. Neither one ever even sniffed a 13th round. My work is done here. :)

Even though he never fought past 12 rounds, Tyson did fight in the last years of the 15 rd era. But honestly, I don't think you can discredit fighters just because a fighter didn't fight 15 rds.

(1) Archie Moore

(2) Sony Liston (twice)

(12) Leon Spinks (twice)

(14) Larry Holmes

LOL. Stop posting. You just exposed your lack of boxing knowledge by saying Leon Spinks is better than Lennox Lewis.

By the way- It has not even been mentioned that Ali fought his entire career in the 15 round era. This alone eliminates Tyson and lewis from contention. Neither one ever even sniffed a 13th round. My work is done here. :)

And that is why I would lean towards Ali. If Tyson could get him early, of course you would pick him, but I don't think Ali will let him get him that early. The longer the fight goes, the more it favors Ali.

(1) Archie Moore

(2) Sony Liston (twice)

(12) Leon Spinks (twice)

(14) Larry Holmes

LOL. Stop posting. You just exposed your lack of boxing knowledge by saying Leon Spinks is better than Lennox Lewis.

(1) Archie Moore

(2) Sony Liston (twice)

(12) Leon Spinks (twice)

(14) Larry Holmes

No question that Ali fought a tremendously better lineup than Tyson did, but don't underrate Lennox Lewis. He was very, very good.

(1) Archie Moore

(2) Sony Liston (twice)

(12) Leon Spinks (twice)

(14) Larry Holmes

Well first, you said "Ali fought 5 Lennox Lewises." When I read that, I assumed you would name boxers who were similar to Lennox Lewis, not just rattle off names. But if you meant boxers in that class, fair enough. Always remember tho, styles make fights not names.

Secondly, Leon Spinks? C'mon dude, be serious.

---------- Post added September-26th-2012 at 12:05 AM ----------

No doubt Ali fought some great fighters, but 26-17 Leon Spinks wasn't one of them. Dude was famous for his gap and beating a washed up Ali.

thats harsh tbf, Spinks was an olympic gold medalist.

Ali just wasnt in shape.

Spinks could have been a decent fighter if he had better advisers around him, imo. For instance, he should not have fought Ali in the first place.

Really? Here are some fighters that would easily beat the crap out of Tyson in his prime, and most of them could do it even if they were past their prime.

Lets start with the guy that actually did beat an "in his prime",Tyson - Holyfield. Others that were clearly superior and would have easily have defeated Tyson (in his prime) are Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, George Foreman (Tyson was afraid to fight him),Jack Dempsey, Ezzard Charles, Rocky Marciano, Lennox Lewis, Larry Holmes, Gene Tunney, Etc Etc.

Good Grief He lost to Douglas when he was 24 for gosh sake - Buster Dougles!!!! If one was a Good Boxer who could take a punch Tyson was in trouble.

Just google top 10 lists and post the one that has Tyson ranked the highest. You might find a few that he is actually on (Most won't have him ranked) but I bet you will be very hard pressed to find any where he is in the top 5 (wouldn't surprise me if you could find none).

So Ali versus Tyson?? That is a joke.

Actually, Larry Holmes DID fight Tyson, and Tyson won by 4th round knockout. Larry Holmes did beat Ali though.

---------- Post added September-26th-2012 at 02:13 AM ----------

(1) Archie Moore

(2) Sony Liston (twice)

(12) Leon Spinks (twice)

(14) Larry Holmes

Tyson fought Larry Holmes too, and beat him.

Archived