Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Be honest, who thought our Defense was going to be top 10?

Zarg

I thought we could be top 10 if we stayed healthy. I was wrong (even had we stayed healthy).

However I disagree that Fletcher has lost a step. He's sticking with TE's and RB's just like he always has. He's very nearly come up with a few interceptions as well.

This. Plus there's no quit in Fletcher. Fans on here complaining are cowardly this team is a unit and won't quit - I wouldn't say that about a lot of teams in the past.

We should all know that DHall is always susceptible to the big play. Its feast or famine with him. You can get a 4 INT game like you had against Cutler in 2010, and then you have what you saw today.

My opinion is he may have lost a step but is still one of the best corners in the league. He was essentially 1 on 1 on Green all game. Not even Revis or Champ Bailey in his hey day would have stood a chance

I thought we would be pretty good if we could could generate pressure on a consistent bases. Even without constant pressure i did not think it would be so easy for teams to move the ball through the air. It's like a 7 on 7 drill and it just drives me up a wall watching it. I don't know what's worse watching our offense struggle to score previously or watching our defense get ran through.

I didn't expect them to be top ten, just the D Coordinator realize where his weak spots are located. If we are that bad in the secondary, and we are, find a way to make the ball come out quick. This might protect them, then again the one time we did blitz we gave up a TD. Thanks Josh Wilson. I dunno. But we are giving up a ton of points.

With competent coaching and health this defense would be top 10 and really a shutdown corner away from being top 5. We have a top 10 front 7 with real depth, and that's WITH 2 starters missing, a competent backup missing, and another guy coming off an ACL injury. Jackson and Wilson played pretty good yesterday and we got consistent pressure. Our secondary is thin but there are far worse secondary groups in the NFL. Fact is, we're badly coached right now and the playcalls are terrible, and after 2 years of film, Haslett's vanilla defense and lack of creativity has been exposed.

While I do agree, there's nothing you can really do to yield more success this year by dropping Haslett. I do think it's time to go in another direction, but we have to live with this mess for now. It's not only on Haslett, we have scrubs in our secondary. Meriweather is average at best and he's one of our better guys back there when he isn't hurt. Gomes is backup material and tiny, Hall is tiny and can't cover anyone, Wilson is decent at time but gives up his share of yards/catches as well. ..outside of that, we are playing guys that should never really see the field unless it's on STs.

Well, I am looking at the point of getting a head start, if there was anyone to go after, which I doubt. But may as well leave it to Morris, and begin the search; if Morris turns things around, great, we could give him a shot, but Haslett is done, and I doubt he would be able to motivate the players.

A good DC can coach average or below average players and put them in the best situations possible; agreed, there are some players who aren't good enough to do this to, but still, a good DC can do this; Haslett's claim to fame was inheriting a good defense in Pitt,dragging it down, and not doing anything in N.O. or St.Louis, which is why they got rid of him to begin with.

Keeping him would possibly put the team that much behind on getting possibly better coaching monday...

SIC

Year after year after year after year ... the Skins find creative ways to DISAPPOINT!

It's really amazing on one hand that we brag about being very talented. And, with a couple of injuries ... Poof, we become a very marginal team.

All teams face injuries, and some to their star players. But, here's what seperates the PROs/Winners from AMATEURS/Losers -- the desire to win! For instance, take Green Bay, last year they were dessimated with injuries but were still very successful. Take the NY Giants this year. They had a ton of injuries and ripped the Panthers, and that too in their own backyard!

It's just sickening to see how talentless the Skins really are. RGIII is ok, and has a lot of developing to do to be considered elite.

Fred Davis's comment, and I quote: "We haven't show our full offense." Really?! If you don't show it now, especially when you need to win desperately in your HOUSE when were you and coaches planning to show it? Next pre-season?

Jordan Black got owned a couple times as well. O-Line didn't play that well either. they played ok at first with Trent in there though.

yea, I thought secondary and o-line would be the weaknesses this season... just thought it wouldn't be evident so early in the season... I guess the key to beating us is passing on offense and blitizing on defense (from the opponents perspective)

Our defense has been worse than I expected. I fully admit I expected the pass rush to make up for a weak secondary, not a SWISS CHEESE secondary which is what we have. I expected the defense to be good enough that if Robert had the kind of numbers he has through the first three games we would be 3-0.

---------- Post added September-23rd-2012 at 08:09 PM ----------

at this point, a marginally successful defense and we'd be 3-0. A defense that allows 21 points a game, we'd be 3-0.

Again, marginally successful.

Ok, yeah I admit I thought we'd be top 10 as I had every reason to believe so. Hell, I at least thought we'd be in the top half.

Also, anyone who says they expected the defense to be this bad is full of ****.

---------- Post added September-23rd-2012 at 08:13 PM ----------

This. Plus there's no quit in Fletcher. Fans on here complaining are cowardly this team is a unit and won't quit - I wouldn't say that about a lot of teams in the past.

Agreed. This team had every reason to fold it up and call it a day while down 24-7 and I believe many teams of the past would've done that and let the game go til it was 52-7. Our guys came out and fought hard in the second half to tie it. Despite coming short, the showed heart and determination. That's what's kinda frustrating though. You can see the will to win and the improvement but it's just not enough to get the W.

I wasn't expecting a top 10 but close. I really thought the front 7 would cover the weaknesses of the secondary, but then Rak and Carriker went down and all of a sudden a strength became a mediocrity. But the secondary play is shocking.

Thing is, with an average D, or even a slightly below average D, this team is 3-0. Painful to finally get a special QB and have his play ruined by a defense that is on pace to be historically awful.

I sort of had a feeling we would suck. Knew the secondary was trash, advocated drafting a corner or safety with one of our higher picks but the front office didn't listen to me. ;)

A lot it is due to lack of talent, and the rest is due to us getting out schemed/coached. It's a mess. Secondary and offensive line is what we need to focus on the most.

Archived