Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Atlantic - Why Robert Griffin III Could Be The Next Peyton Manning

BearintheATL

Baylor fan, RG3 fan, and now Redskin band-wagoner. I didn't see this article here or in the Breaking News section, so thought you folks might be interested. Article about how he may not only be the face of the Redskins, but perhaps the face of the NFL in the future.

Enjoy!

http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/09/why-robert-griffin-iii-could-be-the-next-peyton-manning/262678/

So when Manning does retire, which may not be for a few more seasons, the NFL will have significant shoes to fill, and up to this point no young player—not Aaron Rodgers, not Ben Roethlisberger, not Calvin Johnson—has shown he has feet big enough for the task. Enter Robert Griffin III, also known as RG3, the rookie quarterback for the Washington Redskins who has been the most fascinating personality of this nascent NFL season and looks like an individual with the media savvy and star power to become professional football's next big player.

My ability to tolerate you as a bandwagoner hinges on your thoughts on Michael Vick. Please enlighten us :)
I could say some very nasty things about him, but I'll be diplomatic and simply say I'm glad he's gone and am happy with Matt Ryan.

Anyone who tries to compare RG3 with Vick knows neither player.

I could say some very nasty things about him, but I'll be diplomatic and simply say I'm glad he's gone and am happy with Matt Ryan.

Anyone who tries to compare RG3 with Vick knows neither player.

I like this dude!

Now we just gotta kick someone off the bandwagon. I choose Skip Bayless. All for, say I!

You don't think their physical skillset is comparable?
Other than speed and arm strength, I'm not sure what else there is to compare. The way they use their speed is different (shifty quick vs straight line fast), and their accuracy comparisons aren't even in the same ballpark. But if you just wanted to line them up for a footrace or see who could throw the longest ball, then I guess you could compare them. But that's where it ends for me.

Sounds great fellas....but we are getting a little bit ahead of ourselves. RG3 hasn't even played 1/2 of a season yet. The "potential" (I hate that word sometimes) is clearly there, but there are a lot of variables that have to fall in place. Let's just hope that he doesn't have the fate of Mr. Jason Campbell, who had 4 or 5 different offensive coordinators in as many years. Let's pray for good health, a good offensive line, and good complimentary receivers throughout his career. Once that happens....WATCH OUT! #CautiousOptimism

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. It's bumpy being a skins fan. We've had nothing but ups and downs for years and years. Mostly downs though. One thing is certain - we love RGIII and the excitement and energy that he brings. it's like my old dead skins fans have new life breathed into them!

Rodgers might be able to do it. He's appeared in a fair number of commercials and does a decent job. Of course, the NFL is big, I'm sure there's room for both of them. RGIII could easily do it, the guy seems to have two emotions, happy and intense. One is perfect for fun commercials, the others is perfect for sports commercials.

While acknowledging the comments that it is still awfully early to be making any judgements, I think the parallels to Manning fall into the "damning with faint praise" category. I can't recall ever seeing a young athlete take the media by storm the way Griffin has. The kid is amazing and we should be sending thanks to his parents for the job they did. I expect to still be seeing that grin long after his football career is finished.

I like this dude!

Now we just gotta kick someone off the bandwagon. I choose Skip Bayless. All for, say I!

Aye. Skip is going to act like he owns RGIII and he's the only one who ever liked him and knew he was any good, just like he does for all his little pet predictions.

---------- Post added September-22nd-2012 at 09:34 AM ----------

Rodgers might be able to do it. He's appeared in a fair number of commercials and does a decent job. Of course, the NFL is big, I'm sure there's room for both of them. RGIII could easily do it, the guy seems to have two emotions, happy and intense. One is perfect for fun commercials, the others is perfect for sports commercials.

Being a big time fan, I guess I never really saw Peyton Manning as the sole face of the NFL. Especially when you consider Brady has just as much name recognition and appeal outside the sport over a similar time period. But I can certainly see how very casual observers might only know those two players after the decline of Michael Vick.

Aaron Rodgers has certainly begun a terrific legacy and is becoming a face for the league. He's setting the bar for everyone else. I really thought Phil Rivers would be right there with him at one point, but he just hasn't had enough team success and he's not very charismatic...

But the NFL has Cam Newton, RGIII, and Andrew Luck to prop their future on. They'll be alright.

Archived