Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Movies that you know to be objectively awful, but you like them anyway

Predicto

Big Trouble in Little China.

The Last Dragon.  "Sho'nuff"

Woah, woah, woah....who could consider "Big Trouble in Little China" an awful movie?  

Not only would that person be a fool and clearly someone with terrible taste in movies, but I'll personally volunteer to fight them.

That movie has Kurt Russell at his finest, a young Kim Cattrall, and it's flat out great campy action/fantasy from John Carpenter.

And after just looking it up while writing this, I see it has an 82% on Rotten Tomatoes, further validating how awesome a movie it is.

Nobody should ever have to defend liking Big Trouble in Little China.

(I actually got upset a few months ago when it was on cable and Comcast gave it a "2 star" rating in the description)

>was volcano the pierce brosnan one or the tommy lee jones one?

both were fun movies

I'm still getting over the grandma sacrificing herself to push the kids to shore in the boat.

Such a traumatizing and absurd death scene.

ugh. I remember watching that death scene in middle school. That ruined the rest of my day for sure. 

yeah that scene as horrible. there was nothing left of her legs.

also near thr end, Pierce had a pretty nasty compound fracture to his forearm.

I probably haven't seen that movie since it came out, but just about the only thing I remember about it is that compound fracture (one of the best I've ever seen in film). That and some dude getting swept away in an ash/mudslide.

• 4 months later...

I knew this thread was out there somewhere.

Been watching this movie that keeps coming on HBO.

Pitch Perfect.

Here's my man card.

Pitch Perfect was one of the funniest movies I've seen in years.  Keep your man card :)

I'm sorta "wtf" about some of the movies people are suggesting "are objectively awful" when most film buffs/pro critics find them gems (Like Caddyshack & Rocky Horror).

I'm responding to a year old comment, but this thread went off the rails on the first page. Good movies and schlocky b-movies should really not be included.

Street Fighter.

I don't particularly like the movie itself, but holy **** do I love the performance Raul Julia gives in it. I will sit through that movie any time I have the opportunity just to watch him give on the greatest performances I've ever seen in a movie that is so far beneath his efforts.

Add "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" to my list.    I enjoy the heck out of that movie, despite the fact that it 1) makes no sense and 2) stars Michael Cera.   

I just checked and it actually got good reviews when it came out, so maybe it doesnt belong on this list.  

I'm responding to a year old comment, but this thread went off the rails on the first page. Good movies and schlocky b-movies should really not be included.

Indeed, it was bothering me reading through the thread and seeing so many not objectively awful movies being listed.

edit: case in point:

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Peewee's Big Adventure was brilliant. Also should be noted, it was Tim Burton's movie-directing debut.

Now had you said Big Top Peewee, that would be a different story

Street Fighter.

I don't particularly like the movie itself, but holy **** do I love the performance Raul Julia gives in it. I will sit through that movie any time I have the opportunity just to watch him give on the greatest performances I've ever seen in a movie that is so far beneath his efforts.

"For you, the day that Bison came to your village was the defining moment of your life. For me, it was Tuesday."

Add "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" to my list.    I enjoy the heck out of that movie, despite the fact that it 1) makes no sense and 2) stars Michael Cera.   

I just checked and it actually got good reviews when it came out, so maybe it doesnt belong on this list.  

Yea....that is a beloved comic book that got turned into a pretty darn good movie. It's worst sin is that it is self-indulgent, but that's kind of the point of the book.

A better example would be The Losers - which is neither a beloved comic book nor a good movie. But it is something I've seen about five times. (The cast and crew is unbelievable, considering it's a comic book movie with no budget).

I'll admit, Doom was awful, and may have forever ruined it's big screen opportunity, but some of those monsters were awesome. The FPS scene towards the end was pure genius, but the material was terrible, especially when you consider that they pretty much completely warped the storyline. Plus I got goosebumps when The Rock whipped out that plasma rifle.

I always watch it whenever it's on (usually Spike TV)

They need to reboot and try again. It could be an absolutey terrifying movie if they get the right acting, and stay somewhat true to the actual plot, along with the costumes and a little CGI on top.

Tales from tha Hood

The Blair Witch Project

The Great White Hype

Tremors

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Maximum Overdrive

House Party 3

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is a legitimate modern classic. It's at 92 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Are you thinking of Big Top Pee Wee?

That movie is terrible and unwatchable on any level.

Also....Tremors is really really well-liked.

Great White Hype is a pretty good choice. That movie is so close to being a classic sports movie but something is just wrong with it. It just completely loses momentum about halfway through and just kind of ends. But there are scenes in it that are amazing.

I think the cast is too big and they put far too much effort into the backstory of the Peter Berg character. With that many eccentric characters, the contender should have just been a cypher. Instead, they made him this weird, unfunny mix of hippie, grunge, jock cliches and it just didn't work.

Get rid of the Jeff Goldblum subplot, cut the white fighter's screentime down to nothing, and put more focus on the relationship between Wayans and Jackson...and that movie is really good. "I'm tired of you and the Grinch that Stole Blackness stealing my thunder."

Hudson Hawk I always liked. Chronicles of Riddick. 

Hudson Hawk is a truly awful movie. But it has about three really great scenes in it.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is a legitimate modern classic. It's at 92 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Are you thinking of Big Top Pee Wee?

That movie is terrible and unwatchable on any level.

Also....Tremors is really really well-liked.

Great White Hype is a pretty good choice. That movie is so close to being a classic sports movie but something is just wrong with it. It just completely loses momentum about halfway through and just kind of ends. But there are scenes in it that are amazing.

I think the cast is too big and they put far too much effort into the backstory of the Peter Berg character. With that many eccentric characters, the contender should have just been a cypher. Instead, they made him this weird, unfunny mix of hippie, grunge, jock cliches and it just didn't work.

Get rid of the Jeff Goldblum subplot, cut the white fighter's screentime down to nothing, and put more focus on the relationship between Wayans and Jackson...and that movie is really good. "I'm tired of you and the Grinch that Stole Blackness stealing my thunder."

Hudson Hawk is a truly awful movie. But it has about three really great scenes in it.

I didn't know Pee Wee was that well liked. I thought nobody really enjoyed that movie except me because it was so silly. Same thing with Tremors. The Great White Hype has 4 or 5 scenes that crack me up everytime I see it. Roper and Marvin Shabazz insulting each other along with Samuel Jackson and Jamie Foxx make the movie.

Archived