Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: French Study Finds Tumors In Rats Fed GM Corn

Ellis

Monsanto GM foods...

(Reuters) - Rats fed a lifetime diet of Monsanto's genetically modified corn or exposed to its top-selling weedkiller Roundup suffered tumours and multiple organ damage, according to a French study published on Wednesday.

Although the lead researcher's past record as a critic of the industry may make other experts wary of drawing hasty conclusions, the finding will stoke controversy about the safety of GM crops.

In an unusual move, the research group did not allow reporters to seek outside comment on their paper before its publication in the peer-reviewed journal Food and Chemical Toxicology and presentation at a news conference in London.

Gilles-Eric Seralini of the University of Caen and colleagues said rats fed on a diet containing NK603 - a seed variety made tolerant to dousings of Roundup - or given water containing Roundup at levels permitted in the United States died earlier than those on a standard diet.

The animals on the GM diet suffered mammary tumours, as well as severe liver and kidney damage.

The researchers said 50 percent of males and 70 percent of females died prematurely, compared with only 30 percent and 20 percent in the control group.

Seralini was part of a team that flagged previous safety concerns based on a shorter rat study in a scientific paper published in December 2009 but this takes things a step further by tracking the animals throughout their two-year lifespan.

Monsanto said at the time of the earlier research that the French researchers had reached "unsubstantiated conclusions."

Seralini believes his latest lifetime rat tests give a more realistic and authoritative view of risks than the 90-day feeding trials that form the basis of GM crop approvals, since three months is only the equivalent of early adulthood in rats.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/19/gmcrops-safety-idUSL5E8KJAGN20120919

303098_368324416576180_1530370618_n.jpg

Interesting note: my kids have had 4 female pet rats. Every one of them developed mammary tumors.

I also found this part interesting: "In an unusual move, the research group did not allow reporters to seek outside comment on their paper before its publication in the peer-reviewed journal Food and Chemical Toxicology and presentation at a news conference in London." I wonder why they did that.

Anyhow, I await further developments.

I also found this part interesting: "In an unusual move, the research group did not allow reporters to seek outside comment on their paper before its publication in the peer-reviewed journal Food and Chemical Toxicology and presentation at a news conference in London." I wonder why they did that.

I noticed that too and honestly, I was reluctant to share this article. But I felt that if Reuters was issuing the story, then it was worth sharing.

Interesting note: my kids have had 4 female pet rats. Every one of them developed mammary tumors.

That's why the first thing I wanted to know was what was the incidence of tumors in the control group. It was apparently significantly less. One other thing to note is that this is a toxicology study. Tox studies are designed to give excessive doses of something to see what the worst-case scenario of effects might be. These rats were fed nothing but the GM corn. If they had a mixed diet with just some corn, what would the results be? I'd like to see a comparison to other feed products, such as other types of corn. I didn't see what the control animals were fed. Also, there isn't always a direct comparability between species. That's why drugs that may work in animal studies don't always work in humans. It would be interesting to see the effects in a species that typically has a corn diet, such as cows. Nevertheless, it's not a good result.

Anyhow, I await further developments.

"This is a health survey that looks like a thriller, with all that entails in secret code names and corpses in closets. Of dead rats in this case. It all began in 2006, when Gilles-Eric Seralini, professor of molecular biology at the University of Caen, almost clandestine launches study on GMOs which pulverize an official truth: that the safety of genetically modified maize. Under the code name Vivo, the research team will conduct this survey to demonstrate the effects heavily toxic and often fatal rats. The results are disclosed by Gilles-Eric Séralini in a book to be published next week ("All guinea pigs!", Flammarion, published September 26) and are already published in the American magazine very serious "Food and Chemical Toxicology ". Detonating revelations, coming after several years of research conducted in the utmost secrecy, where any telephone conversation between researchers was outlawed and where the emails were encrypted. The team first had to collect seeds of GM maize NK 603, owned by Monsanto's patented, with the complicity of Canadian agricultural college before their repatriation in 2007 and transform them into kibble designed to feed 200 rats the laboratory."

Link

They wanted the research to be top secret until the publication.

---------- Post added September-19th-2012 at 10:50 PM ----------

I wasn't clear having read the article ... were all the rats fed Roundup, and some were fed GM corn AND Roundup? Or was there a control group that didn't have either?

" The team first had to collect seeds of GM maize NK 603, owned by Monsanto's patented, with the complicity of Canadian agricultural college before their repatriation in 2007 and transform them into kibble designed to feed 200 rats in the laboratory. "

Monsanto survival would be at stake for a single GMO variety. There are hundreds of varieties, implying at least a dozen studies from 100 to 150 million euros each!

Here's the abstract:

The health effects of a Roundup-tolerant genetically modified maize (from 11% in the diet), cultivated

with or without Roundup, and Roundup alone (from 0.1 ppb in water), were studied 2 years in rats. In

females, all treated groups died 2–3 times more than controls, and more rapidly. This difference was visible

in 3 male groups fed GMOs. All results were hormone and sex dependent, and the pathological profiles

were comparable. Females developed large mammary tumors almost always more often than and

before controls, the pituitary was the second most disabled organ; the sex hormonal balance was modified

by GMO and Roundup treatments. In treated males, liver congestions and necrosis were 2.5–5.5

times higher. This pathology was confirmed by optic and transmission electron microscopy. Marked

and severe kidney nephropathies were also generally 1.3–2.3 greater. Males presented 4 times more large

palpable tumors than controls which occurred up to 600 days earlier. Biochemistry data confirmed very

significant kidney chronic deficiencies; for all treatments and both sexes, 76% of the altered parameters

were kidney related. These results can be explained by the non linear endocrine-disrupting effects of

Roundup, but also by the overexpression of the transgene in the GMO and its metabolic consequences.

It appears that they are saying that the GMO alone causes an increase in cancer as compared to rats that are feed the closest non-GMO food.

To echo what China said, all sorts of things that NEED are bad at high and regular doses. Most vitamins can cause illnesses.

:( I hate testing on animals

I do to, specially if that implies suffering/torturing.

The dilemma of animal experimentation:

Each of us is opposed to animal testing, but in the same way, each of us would like to get the best and safest medications and treatments. However, without animal testing, this is not possible. How do we solve this dilemma?

I do to, specially if that implies suffering/torturing.

The dilemma of animal experimentation:

Each of us is opposed to animal testing, but in the same way, each of us would like to get the best and safest medications and treatments. However, without animal testing, this is not possible. How do we solve this dilemma?

Have a healthier world and not need harsh chemicals and poisons.

Here is a new documentary released on GMO. It`s free for another 2 days (then it`s for sale); an hour-and-a-half long. DEFINITELY WORTH IT... watch it. You won`t regret it.

http://geneticroulettemovie.com/

---------- Post added September-20th-2012 at 07:54 AM ----------

China, they`ve already done that. That information is available in the documentary link I provided below. Check it out.

Anyone would be a fool to ignore it.

Here is a new documentary released on GMO. It`s free for another 2 days (then it`s for sale); an hour-and-a-half long. DEFINITELY WORTH IT... watch it. You won`t regret it.

China, they`ve already done that. That information is available in the documentary link I provided below. Check it out.

Awesome. Thank you for that link. I've seen clips of this.

Scary, isn't it ? We're becoming mutants. Thanks for the link, I'm downloading the DVD.

Have a healthier world and not need harsh chemicals and poisons.

Even if your statement were true, there would still be "reasons" for animal testing (medical, product safety, etc.). Manufacturing, transportation, medical fields all produce & use chemicals/poisons to support the demand of us, the population, which is made up of ALL of us. Our individual "toll" on the earth might vary, but we all affect it.

Archived