Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - MLB Investigating Blue Jays' Yunel Escobar for Homophobic Slur

Dan T.

Major League Baseball is investigating reports that Toronto Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar wore eye black depicting a gay slur written in Spanish, a league spokesperson told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

At least one photo taken by Getty Images shows Escobar wearing the eye black with the slur during Saturday's game against the Boston Red Sox.

Getty Images confirmed the photo's authenticity to ESPN.com's Keith Law.

MLB spokesman Pat Courtney confirmed the commissioner's office is looking into the reports.

"The Toronto Blue Jays do not support discrimination of any kind nor condone the message displayed by Yunel Escobar during Saturday's game," the Blue Jays said in a statement Monday night, adding the club "takes this situation seriously and is investigating the matter."

The team said Escobar will be available to the media Tuesday afternoon at Yankee Stadium along with general manager Alex Anthopoulos, manager John Farrell and coach Luis Rivera.

One of Escobar's agents declined to comment when reached by Crasnick on Monday.

Yunel-Escobar’s-Inflammatory-Eye-Black.jpg

What the hell was he thinking?

Can I ask a question? Why is a straight person calling another straight person the name offensive to gays? I am not justifying the use, asking seriously.

Because he is disparaging that person. Therefore, he is demeaning that person by implying they are gay, as if gay were a bad thing.

I kept hearing about this but never saw the picture. I am thinking it was something that was hard to see, like he tried to conceal it or something. No. This idiot had out there for all the world to see. Not saying I would have accepted if he was trying to hide it, I am just saying you wouldn't think anybody was dumb enough to be that bold with something like that. I think a suspension for the last two weeks of the season would send a very loud and clear message to him and athletes everywhere.... Unfortunately, we know some will not hear it. :doh:

Imma be real with you, most people from the Caribbean do not like homosexuals to put it mildly.

Its almost funny how ridiculous he is for that. Aint nothing to investigate or question, he called Red Sox an offensive slur.

He should receive a rest of the season suspension.

Caribbean? By that do you mean world?

Maybe he's bitter that the Jays are in 4th place despite cheating at home?

Child please.

General consensus so far around Toronto is bury him for the rest of the season, some even calling to cut. Apparently the suspension was collectively bargained with MLBPA & the commish's office, but most Blue Jay fans don't seem to care, they dont want to see him for the rest of the year. He was trade bait next season anyways as the Jays have a kid SS that is called up now & should make the team next spring.

Maybe he's bitter that the Jays are in 4th place despite cheating at home?

I assume you're talking about this. I missed this story when it first came out:

Signs of trouble in Toronto

The Blue Jays deny they're stealing signs -- evidence may lead to another conclusion

By Amy K. Nelson and Peter Keating | ESPN The Magazine

"Not too easy, is it?"

From the visitors bullpen at Rogers Centre in Toronto, an American League pitcher screamed at Blue Jays right fielder Jose Bautista as he took his position late in a game in the spring of 2010.

"It's not too [f------] easy to hit home runs when you don't know what's coming!"

The enraged player and his teammates could hardly believe what they had seen in the previous inning. As they sat on the perch above the right-field bullpen at Rogers, they caught sight of a man dressed in white about 25 yards to their right, out among the blue center-field seats. And while the players watched, the man in white seemingly signaled the pitches the visiting pitcher was throwing against the Jays, according to four sources in the bullpen that day.

The players weren't exactly sure how the man in white knew what was coming -- maybe, they thought, he was receiving messages via his Bluetooth from an ally elsewhere in the stadium who had binoculars or access to the stadium feed. But they quickly picked up the wavelength of his transmissions: He was raising his arms over his head for curveballs, sliders and changeups. In other words, anything besides fastballs.

A few of the players in the bullpen turned their backs to the field to fixate on the man in white, while others watched the stadium's radar gun. As soon as each pitch was thrown, those watching the man would call out what they thought he was signaling, and those focused on the radar gun would confirm his signal. Sure enough, the man in white was raising his arms above his head before every off-speed pitch and doing nothing when the pitch being called was a fastball.

Some guys on that team had actually seen the same man making the same motions in 2009. But that had been in the last series of the season against Toronto, and they let it go. Now, stunned not only that the man in white was back but that he was accurately calling every pitch, a call was made to the dugout, and the coaching staff was given the following message: Start using multiple signs, even with no one on base.

When Bautista next came up to bat, he struck out. After the inning, he ran to right field, adjacent to the visitors 'pen, and the livid player issued Bautista a warning.

"We know what you're doing," he said, referring to the man in white, according to the player and two witnesses. "If you do it again, I'm going to hit you in the [f------] head."

The next day, the players who had seen the man in white headed to the field early. One stood in the batter's box while another stood on the mound. From the batter's box, it was clear the man in white had been perfectly positioned just above the pitcher's head so that the batter would not need to move his own head, or even alter his gaze, in order to see his signal. "It's premeditated," said one of the AL players, "as if the guy was a sniper trying to find the best position to make a shot."

When Yankees manager Joe Girardi suggested the Blue Jays were illicitly stealing signs in mid-July, it was not the first time ESPN had heard such an allegation. In the summer of 2010, one of our reporters interviewed several players about allegations of sign-stealing from the outfield seats at Rogers Centre.

More:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/6837424/baseball-toronto-blue-jays-suspicion-again-stealing-signs-rogers-centre

Caribbean? By that do you mean world?

the day when a song about burning homosexuals becomes popular on US mainstream radio is the day I will equate say its the same, at least in the Western world.

The violence against homosexuals in those nations is on another level as well.

still, I think how brazen he was about it is hilarious. You also have to wonder why didnt anyone on the Blue Jays stop him?

Archived