Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better DC Debut - Strasburg v RGIII?

Duckus

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a tough call. Stras struck out 14 in his debut and no walks and it was nationally televised. RGIII made history yesterday with his performance, and it was the FOX national early game. So I'm going to say this is a push.

I think we are overstating this "nationally televised" thing for Strasburg. It was on MLB Network, but it is not like it was Fox national game. As much buzz as their was for that game, MLB Network just does not get a lot of ratings. I am fairly certain that a lot more eyes saw RGIII than saw Strasburg's first start.

I think we are overstating this "nationally televised" thing for Strasburg. It was on MLB Network, but it is not like it was Fox national game. As much buzz as their was for that game, MLB Network just does not get a lot of ratings. I am fairly certain that a lot more eyes saw RGIII than saw Strasburg's first start.

there were a lot more eyes on the Jags/Vikings game too, was that game a bigger deal than Strasburg's debut?

The point I was making with mentioning Strasburg's game being on national TV was down to how different that was than any other Nats game that year.

Strasburg's performance was also the lead story on Sportscenter.

I haven't voted yet. I don't know the answer. I was at Strasburg's debut. The place was electric. It was magical. RG3's dominance over the Saints was also something for the ages. Both of them represent(ed) a coming glory for a franchise that has suffered years (or decades) of trashed hope and misery. Can I please vote "no way to pick?"

there were a lot more eyes on the Jags/Vikings game too, was that game a bigger deal than Strasburg's debut?

The point I was making with mentioning Strasburg's game being on national TV was down to how different that was than any other Nats game that year.

Strasburg's performance was also the lead story on Sportscenter.

It is national television in almost the most minor way possible. I am sure if there was a way that a fringe cable channel could have picked up RGIII's debut yesterday, they would have.

I am not saying that Strasburg's debut was not different, because it certainly was. But the national television angle is not that strong to me. I am sure that was not the only game they had on MLB Network in 2010.

And I don't know who was the lead story on Sportscenter, I am guessing it was probably Manning. But if there was not a first-ballot hall-of-famer making his return off of a major injury yesterday, RGIII probably would have been the lead story as well.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 10:14 AM ----------

I thought they were both equally impressive. It's as simple as that.

They certainly were. I just think RGIII's meant more in several different ways. It was the season opener, against a very good team in a hostile atmosphere. Hopefully this sets the tone and quiets some of the doubters about what we gave up in the trade and whether he could succeed in the NFL (for a week, at least). Every game just means more in the NFL, with 16 games as opposed to 162. And it just meant more to the city, I know the Nationals are a relatively new franchise, but I don't know if they are ever going to match the level of love that the area has for the Redskins. That win and that performance, to me, just had more importance attached to it to a city and a franchise that has been so starved for an elite QB and a true difference maker for a long time.

Both were fantastic performances that will be remembered for quite some time, but I have to go with RGIII.

I'm going with RG3. Strasburg was impressive, but as I recall, the Pirates were not a very good team at the time. Griffin played in one of the most hostile environments against a very good Saints team and came away with the victory. What impressed me the most about Griffin was how he stayed calm even under adversity. Saints score to take a 7-3 lead? 88 yard TD pass. Saints block a punt and score before halftime? Opens the second half with a TD drive. Hopefully this is just the start to many great things to come.

I voted Strasburg. He dominated an entire team and it was beautiful. And he's been consistent.

Football by nature is chaotic with ebbs and flows. A guy can rush for 200+ one week and only 60 yards the next. If RGIII continues the great play, then I'll know it was him and not a fluke.

Voting for this is based on one game, not past or future games. Griffin wins.

I'm not surprised Ovie wasn't mention as most weren't on the bandwagon or high on the Caps given their poor play then but his debut was amazing. First shift he put a guy through the glass, 2 goals, and was all over the ice. He dominated.

I was so incredibly amped when he checked that poor guy into the glass on his first shift.

I was so incredibly amped when he checked that poor guy into the glass on his first shift.

I was in college watching it with the rest of the hockey team and we were just happy it wasn't blacked out in Harrisonburg. When he did that we went nuts, then the goals and the celebrations ... I thought my god I'd never be as excited about a rookie as that but RG3's performance yesterday gave my chills. Ovie better continue to step his game up because it won't take long for the papers to go back to ignoring the Skins to talk about RG3 (well deserved and I'm ok with it) Harper and Strasburg.

RG3 had the second best rookie QB debut in NFL history!.... 320 yards is better than Payton Manning threw on his rookie debut, and everybody else in league history except Cam Newton.

Wow..

Very true... I think its easy to say Strasburg had the very best pitching debut of all time though. 14 K's with 0 walks. Wow.

Its close, but I give it to Strasburg.

They are both studs.

As he said, the game was nationally broadcast. There is a possibility that more people watched that than a regional. However, many people sit and watch a 1pm sunday game regardless of who is on (not even their team) just because it's football.

The Saints-Redskins game was the dominant Fox 1 pm game in most markets. I think Denver was just about the only major city that didn't get our game that didn't have a Fox broadcast home team playing at the same time. For additional perspective, I believe the CSN ratings for RGIII's preseason debut were substantially better than the MASN ratings for Strasburg's debut.

The Saints-Redskins game was the dominant Fox 1 pm game in most markets. I think Denver was just about the only major city that didn't get our game that didn't have an NFC home team playing at the same time. For additional perspective, I believe the CSN ratings for RGIII's preseason debut were substantially better than the MASN ratings for Strasburg's debut.

I don't know if ratings is fair. Obviously a Redskins opening game is going to eclipse just about any regular season baseball game.

Honestly I can't answer this question. It's dead even. Both were dominant. I'm just glad Washington finally has some superstar caliber athletes.

I don't know if ratings is fair. Obviously a Redskins opening game is going to eclipse just about any regular season baseball game.

Honestly I can't answer this question. It's dead even. Both were dominant. I'm just glad Washington finally has some superstar caliber athletes.

Ratings isn't a fair way to judge the more impressive accomplishment, for sure... but when you use "the whole country was watching" as a support for Strasburg, well, it helps to actually be right :ols:

Strasburg.

But the performances in a vacuum and forget what team each player was playing for. Let's forget that it was the Redskins for a second.

If I had to break it down and somehow compare the stats, 14 strikeouts is like throwing for 375 yards or more. And he struck out the last 7 batters he faced.

Griffin was amazing, but he didn't top Strasburg.

RGIII by a thin margin...

For only one reason.

Strasburg gave up a home run.... To me, thats the same as if RG threw a INT.

Now -If RG did throw a INT, and nothing happened it STILL would have been considered a great debut. Just like Stasburgs debut was still great...

But he did give up a HR (so 1 mistake) and RG didnt throw a INT (no mistakes).

Done.

DC is a football town, and it has been suffering for 2 decades. RGIII is like the long awaited messiah coming to save us, and he was everything that had been advertised.

No baseball debut could be this important. Maybe in baseball hotbeds like St. Louis or Boston, but not in DC.

DC is a football town, and it has been suffering for 2 decades. RGIII is like the long awaited messiah coming to save us, and he was everything that had been advertised.

No baseball debut could be this important. Maybe in baseball hotbeds like St. Louis or Boston, but not in DC.

Again, that's changing the context.

If we're only talking about debuts within their sport, it's a toss up.

But if we start factoring in importance to the city and all that jazz, RG3 takes it because no matter what Redskins > All in this town.

I think it's very close. I would give it to RG3 because of expectations.

In baseball, phenom pitchers are expected to do well when they are called up to the majors. In football, rookie QBs are expected to struggle. So It was a much bigger surprise that RG3 did so well. Also, the Pirates weren't very good so the Nationals had at least a 50/50 chance to beat the Pirates. The Redskins were expected to lose badly. Strasburg exceeded already-high expectations, but RG3 blew away low expectations. So I think RG3's debut was better.

The home run also gave the Pirates the lead in the game. RG3 never trailed.

I think it's very close. I would give it to RG3 because of expectations.

In baseball, phenom pitchers are expected to do well when they are called up to the majors. In football, rookie QBs are expected to struggle. So It was a much bigger surprise that RG3 did so well. Also, the Pirates weren't very good so the Nationals had at least a 50/50 chance to beat the Pirates. The Redskins were expected to lose badly. Strasburg exceeded already-high expectations, but RG3 blew away low expectations. So I think RG3's debut was better.

We did trail 7-3.

Archived