Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better DC Debut - Strasburg v RGIII?

Duckus

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We did trail 7-3.
Pssst :secret: We trailed breifly, 7-3.:cool:
Oops. edited. I really thought Jimmy Graham was going to kill us after that TD. But then Pierre Garcon. And I think I ignored everything that happened before that. It was just RG333333333333!!!!!!!!!!!!

DC is a football town, and it has been suffering for 2 decades. RGIII is like the long awaited messiah coming to save us, and he was everything that had been advertised.

No baseball debut could be this important. Maybe in baseball hotbeds like St. Louis or Boston, but not in DC.

That wasn't the question. At all.

The Saints-Redskins game was the dominant Fox 1 pm game in most markets. I think Denver was just about the only major city that didn't get our game that didn't have a Fox broadcast home team playing at the same time. For additional perspective, I believe the CSN ratings for RGIII's preseason debut were substantially better than the MASN ratings for Strasburg's debut.

That is a very good point. I didn't check the market size for the time slot. So then the question is, how many people actually get MLB network? Everyone gets Fox as basic programming, if they want it or not.

That is a very good point. I didn't check the market size for the time slot. So then the question is, how many people actually get MLB network? Everyone gets Fox as basic programming, if they want it or not.

First result from a quick Google search said that MLB network had about 55 million subscribers but only about 100,000 primetime viewers in 2010.

I am really torn on this, but I got to go RGIII because of the competition. Strasburg dominated a terrible team at home - RGIII crushed the Saints in the Super Dome. So I got to go RGII, barely.

True. But that Saints defense is about as bad as any we'll see this season. I think as the season progresses we'll find out these Saints aren't really that good.

RGIII was sensational but not really dominant. Strasburg was a force of nature. I've never seen anything like it.

It wasn't his Pro debut, but John Wall's home debut deserves mention. 29 points, 13 assists, and 9 steals in a game that was about as special as any I can remember. Hit a buzzer beater 3 to go to OT and won it by one in the end.

DC sports are trending up.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 07:24 AM ----------

RGIII by a thin margin...

For only one reason.

Strasburg gave up a home run.... To me, thats the same as if RG threw a INT.

Now -If RG did throw a INT, and nothing happened it STILL would have been considered a great debut. Just like Stasburgs debut was still great...

But he did give up a HR (so 1 mistake) and RG didnt throw a INT (no mistakes).

Done.

RGIII made some mistakes. He made some poor throws, one of which probably should have been a pick but the defender dropped the INT, took a sack, fumbled a fake handoff.

Don't get me wrong, he was amazing and made several huge plays and every QB does those things in games just about. But Strasburg's level of individual play was higher than RGIII's in their debuts IMO. RGIII went out and executed a good but somewhat conservative gameplan at a remarkably high level against a terrible defense. Strasburg went out and threw 14 Ks.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 07:28 AM ----------

How about Ovechkin? He scored two goals in his debut.

Good call. That deserves mentioning too.

Wish Bryce Harper had hit for the cycle in his debut to complete the story line :ols:

As he said, the game was nationally broadcast. There is a possibility that more people watched that than a regional. However, many people sit and watch a 1pm sunday game regardless of who is on (not even their team) just because it's football.

Yeah, but if you look at the broadcast map for Griffin's debut, the vast majority of the country was being fed the Skins game. So it was practically nationally broadcast.

http://the506.com/nflmaps/2012/wk1.html

I am really torn on this, but I got to go RGIII because of the competition. Strasburg dominated a terrible team at home - RGIII crushed the Saints in the Super Dome. So I got to go RGII, barely.

Yeah, I gotta go with RG3.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 11:50 PM ----------

Redskins/Nationals fan base >>>>>>>>> (fill in blank) fan base.....

Redskins/Nationals/Capitals fan base>>>>>>>>>>> __________fan base.

I'll go with Strasburg, but not by much. Hitting a round ball with a round bat, squarely, is probably the hardest thing to do in sports. A hitter gets .3 of a second to decide whether to swing...and that's just the decision. With someone that throws gas like Strasburg, they probably get a little bit less time than that.

Downplay the Pirates all you want, they're still a big league team.

As good as RG3's stat line was, someone will replicate it or have a better performance sooner or later.

I think striking out 14 or more batters while walking 0 has only happened a total of 3 other times since Strasburg did it in 2010. I looked it up on baseballreference.com but I have to pay 36 bucks a year to see the pitchers and the dates. However there were 4 total results, one of them presumably was Strasburg.

Archived