Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Need To Add Depth At Safety

bulldog

In regards to a suspension, I will expand. He hit a defenseless receiver, he wasn't going for the ball as evident by the ball hitting him in the face with no reaction by him. Add to it that it was head to head and it resulted in a injury (minor as he came back quickly) but it meets all the requirements. Now I don't know Williams discipline history, but being that it was exactly almost to a tea what the nfl has been trying to eliminate. I can see a game (as in one), but a fine only wouldn't surprise me.

I may be struck with Carter (or whomever the hell that safety from Chicago was) that came here in the 90's and got a suspension every time he breathed on someone.

Chris Horton is available... That'd be cool... he's a good guy...

Ahhh, Horton...

I think they need another FS type. When Merriweather gets back we'll have three guys that play better near the LOS with just Williams as the FS. Perhaps Gomes can replace Williams when Merriweather's back, but another FS would help.

Even if Madieu is not suspended, we need to sign a safety to replace the injured Bernstein.

We don't need a 4th TE, we need a 4th S.

Partial list of available DBs (some inaccuracies)

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=DB&y=2012

There are a few inaccuracies, as you pointed out. Specifically Charles Godfrey.

A few names that show up on that list:

__

Chimdi Chekwa (could transition to safety with his length)

Raiders practice squad

Chekwa was just decent as a CB while in Oak., he did make some plays. Again he was selected by Al Davis. He's got speed, of course. (edit) I'd say less coverage skills in terms of press Man, less physicality to jam receivers. But perhaps strength enough to play safety. But it's not like he's without skills.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81eae098/2011-combine-workout-Chimdi-Chekwa

He was a draftable guy coming out of Ohio State, late round, yes.

(edit)

I keep forgetting whether it Van Dyke Or Chekwa who would look lost in coverage at times ... I remember something like questioning instincts.

He might have a second career as a safety, because he's got some length. 6 feet tall, about 195. He's long and skinny.

If he was allowed to keep things in-front of him, see the whole field and read the QB, have some specific assignments like deep third or deep half, he could use his speed to his advantage, use angles to disrupt passes.

__

*Isaiah Frey (some length, passes defended)

Bears practice squad

Another CB, but scheme diverse enough for the Skins breed of FS. (edit) But the point being that he can play nickel corner and most likely you would want him to play a position that caters to his strength. So, with him on the field it just adds more competency in the unit overall and less pressure on whoever is back there at safety. Maybe he could fill in at safety in a pinch on known throwing downs.

Currently Bears practice squad.

6 feet tall, about 190. Another skinny guy, but this guy has coverage skills.

This guy had a tons of passes defended while in college. I believe he lead the NCAA in fact. In 13 games at Nevada he had 21 passes defended, 16 passes broken up with 5 INTs.

He even had an INT during the preseason with the Bears. So again, not a safety per se, but another DB who can line up and play well in coverage, it could bolster the unit in general. An opportunity to steal someone from a practice squad.

*Out of the guys listed, this is the guy I feel most compelled to write about. This guy has instincts and I think it would be a great power play to grab him from the Bears.

__

Devin Holland

An actual safety, according to the webz.

I don't know much about him other than he was undrafted from Mcneese St. He spent the 2011 season with Tampa, played in 4 games, has two recorded tackles. So presumably Morris knows him and his abilities.

I can't speak to his skills or lack thereof.

__

Phillip Buchanon (though not safety, he's been here before, knows the role)

ugh, I don't know his current health status - the shoulder. I don't know about the suspension for illegal substance (was roids, hgh?). I don't know if he's capable as filling in as a safety in that role, if he's adept enough or even physically capable. Again it's sort-of dumpster diving.

__

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 02:17 AM ----------

Marcus Lott

He was also on the that list of yours - Undrafted Costal Carolina. He was in the Skins mini-camp, so the brass does know him. What they think of him or whether they kept his number or not - I don't know.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 02:22 AM ----------

Here is another list, inaccuracies as well:

General:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/safety/

proprietary:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/safety/available/

__

The filter will allow for an "available" search, weird that M. Williams shows up there, ha.

Tramain Thomas (SS) is apparently out there as a free agent, cut from the bucs.

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/2012-Draft-Prospects---Tramain-Thomas-S/635e4066-75aa-4ebf-aea2-f6d88f1e916c

For whatever reason he was constantly devalued during the draft process. He made it to the cut of 75. I'd want to kick the tires.

__

Larry Asante - with the Tampa (morris) connection

and

Derrick Martin - with the whatever connection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Martin

I honestly thought the announcer overreacted to the Williams hit on Graham; looked to me like Williams initially thought he was going to catch that ball, seeing the way he had his hands out front palms up, then when the ball tipped away in the other direction, he started to go fetal position in anticipation of impact. Didn't really look to me like he was trying to lay out Graham. Anybody have video on that? I can't find it.

Whether he gets suspended for that or not, though, I still think we need help at safety. Doughty and Williams back there together would be a nightmare if it ever happened.

Honestly, I was mad we brought in a bunch of no-name free agents. Not saying I'm too impressed with Doughty, but I do like Gomes and was willing to go into the year with him and a rookie back there with Doughty as depth. I think we have the players we need as starters. And as long as our front seven are producing it won't be a serious liabiity. No team is perfect everywhere. The fact that our weakness is in the secondary, and particularly at S (and I'd be even more particular and say FS) is a blessing because its not the most important position on defense. And I think that Griffin or Hall could play FS in a stretch, particularly if our rookie corner comes along.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 11:36 AM ----------

Gomes played lights out! He deserves to start now and until he proves otherwise. I'm sure we'll scoop something off the scrap heap or someone's PS.

I agree. I don't think he's the weakness on defense. Replacing Doughty's a different story. I really wish we'd have kept Barnes and put him at FS to see if he could grow into the position.

Call me dirty or old school but I liked the hit Williams put on Graham, seemed to make him not so anxious to go over the middle and burn us like he had been doing. And yes Daryl Johnston, former Cowturd of course, over sold how bad the hit really was, the way he was talking about it you would have thought Williams had a knife in one hand and a hammer in the other. I can tell you this if ST (RIP) was still with us, ole Jimmy wouldve needed a cart to get off the field yesterday.

I may be struck with Carter (or whomever the hell that safety from Chicago was) that came here in the 90's and got a suspension every time he breathed on someone.

Ahhh. Mark Carrier. Best addition to our 2000 defense, but was already a marked man and suspended for most of 2001 so Schot cut him.

My question is why wasn't the hit on Morgan a penalty? It was nasty and I don't think he returned to the game after

I think I missed that play, but I noticed a lot of very borderline late piling on at times by the saints on our ball carriers after a reception or run, and in one case I thought they were targeting someone's knee. Maybe what I thought I saw wasn't what was happening, but it was something I noticed.

In regards to a suspension, I will expand. He hit a defenseless receiver, he wasn't going for the ball as evident by the ball hitting him in the face with no reaction by him. Add to it that it was head to head and it resulted in a injury (minor as he came back quickly) but it meets all the requirements. Now I don't know Williams discipline history, but being that it was exactly almost to a tea what the nfl has been trying to eliminate. I can see a game (as in one), but a fine only wouldn't surprise me.

Don't see it as worse than a fine. He's not a repeat offender to my knowledge. A 1 game suspension would be extreme but you never know with the hard on Goodell's had for us.

Archived