Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Anti Hair Loss Shampoo Do You Use?

Springfield

Getting old sucks.

I turned 30 earlier this year. Bit by bit, I feel my body getting older. Aches and pains that I didn't use to have. Hangovers last longer. I'm starting to feel my age.

Another thing that I'm noticing is that the hair on top of my head is starting to get thinner. By no means am I bald... yet. That's what I'm hoping to prevent. The last time I got my hair cut, the woman who cut my hair suggested that I buy some anti hair loss shampoo from her store. I'm sure she probably gets a commission on that so I declined. It has piqued my interest though.

My father is bald, typically male pattern baldness. I have heard that you get the baldness gene from your mother's parents though, and my grandfather isn't bald. My hair is starting to thin on top though, so I'd like to do something preemptive. I understand that if I were to go completely "male pattern baldness" bald I may be able to slow or stop it if I act early enough. I also understand that we have some fairly old folks on the board. Some of you must be bald, balding and hopefully have done something to prevent the baldness.

I've done typically internet searches and most just seem to be shills for a particular anti hair loss shampoo. Some sources say to avoid shampoos that contain "something-or-other" that promotes lathering (which is useless). Other sources say to look for a shampoo that contains "something-or-other" that promotes healthy follicles.

I'm looking for actual brands that I can go to the grocery store and buy. I'd rather not have to order a shampoo online or go to a salon just to get it... too inconvenient.

Anybody? I know we must have some people who've tried this before.

I don't worry with it, now if they had something to fix the other stuff mentioned .....:pfft:

Rogaine(minoxidil) works for some,my brother uses this

http://www.amazon.com/Lipogaine-Men-Minoxidil-Intensive-Treatment/dp/B0037TM252/ref=zg_tr_11057561_13

you want something cheap and available try ACV

http://www.livestrong.com/article/277319-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar-for-hair-loss/

I have used Nioxin only for almost 15 years...it keeps your hair in the best condition to stay in your head. (Trust me, we women have this issue also, and it's usually caused by stress in earlier years). But I agree...DO NOT use both Nioxin and Rogaine products, and if your barber/hairdresser tells you otherwise, they're an idiot.

The follicle booster is very expensive, and doesn't produce much. I follow my Nioxin routine with Redken products...Extreme Anti-Snap keeps hair from breaking and provides protein, as does the Real Control creme. (Gives control without being gooey.)

---------- Post added September-1st-2012 at 11:37 PM ----------

And seriously, only trust what you buy in a salon. Diversion is a serious issue with Redken, and Nioxin. You should only purchase it from a licensed salon. My hairdresser will match my price on another store if I find a deal. She's cool like that.

I used Rogaine for a few months but was disappointed with the results. I've just pretty much accepted my hair loss.

I gave in too. I decided after many fails and using many prodycts with crappy results, I sat in the mirror one day and just buzzed it. For me, never felt better. One less thing to worry about.

I'm going to be 40 in January my hair is thinner, but full. I may be able to beat the genetics portion with some luck. My grandfather on on my Mom's side was bald, but not on my Father's...

I've been told on numerous occasions that I look much younger. I could easily pass for someone who is 30. I attribute this to the myriad of supplements I've been taking throughout much of my life.

Here's what I suggest:

Use Nizoral shampoo (CVS, Walgreens)

It was intended to be used for people suffering from dandruff other fungal related scalp conditions but it can improve the thickness appearance of your hair.

Use a high dose Biotin supplement and take with Vitamin C and MSM.

Take a collagen supplement - I recommend Neocell.

Take a quality multivitamin - Vitamin Shoppe Men's Gold Standard or Pure Essence Labs for Men

The herbs Saw Palmetto and Stinging Nettles I would use also.

Buy a scalp tingler: http://products.mercola.com/massage-tools/

Use with the following essential oils, rosemary, cedar, thyme, lavender with coconut oil as often as possible.

My god that's a lot of work.

I take white or cider vinegar, put a little baking soda in it (it'll foam once, it's fine) and put some lemon halves and maybe some other oils or herbs in it.

It stops smelling like vinegar as soon as it dries and removes all the heavy residue left from normal shampoos and best of all, I'm not covering myself with nasty chemicals.

I get a ton of compliments on my hair too. Not my shaggy style, but how clean and healthy it looks.

Apple Cider Vinegar is another excellent choice KB which I forgot...

Polyphenols in grapeseeds, green tea, and apples are thought to increase hair growth and apparently does in mice...

I save tea bags and put them in the mix too sometimes. Didn't know about apples. They're expensive here though.

I tried it on a dare. Went to the thrift store for a container I can shake and leave in the shower for 50 cents, a buck for vinegar and already had the baking soda. I've never looked back.

I'm going to be 40 in January my hair is thinner, but full. I may be able to beat the genetics portion with some luck. My grandfather on on my Mom's side was bald, but not on my Father's...

I've been told on numerous occasions that I look much younger. I could easily pass for someone who is 30. I attribute this to the myriad of supplements I've been taking throughout much of my life.

Here's what I suggest:

Use Nizoral shampoo (CVS, Walgreens)

It was intended to be used for people suffering from dandruff other fungal related scalp conditions but it can improve the thickness appearance of your hair.

Use a high dose Biotin supplement and take with Vitamin C and MSM.

Take a collagen supplement - I recommend Neocell.

Take a quality multivitamin - Vitamin Shoppe Men's Gold Standard or Pure Essence Labs for Men

The herbs Saw Palmetto and Stinging Nettles I would use also.

Buy a scalp tingler: http://products.mercola.com/massage-tools/

Use with the following essential oils, rosemary, cedar, thyme, lavender with coconut oil as often as possible.

Your urine is probably more expensive than Dom Perignon.

More than likely,the most that's going to happen by going through all of this,is that your hair will still meet your feet at the floor,(outside chance that some of the stuff may slow it down),what you have left may look and be healthy,you've fed into your own vanity/insecurities,and lost some money that would be better spent elsewhere. Getting old can suck,but it's a fact of life and all the cosmetic bull**** ain't going to change it one bit. Aging well starts on the inside and works its way out. I've been losing my hair since I was 19. I actually had more success in the dating world after losing my hair than the relatively short time I had it,(this despite the b.s. stats and lines the informercials throw at you. I know. I watched them when I was in my 20's). Shave it,keep it short,whatever,but just know it's only a big deal because we,(meaning ourselves),make it that way. Just my 2 cents. :)

If your hair is the only thing that gives you confidence...there are bigger issues. Samson is just a story.

Seriously though, I shaved my head a while back to show support for a friends mother. I let it grow back and shaved it again, rinse, repeat...after a while I noticed I was thinning and decided to just continue to shave. It's cheap and easy.

OK, very shameful admission here, one of my skeletons in the closet that I am embarrassed to even mention,

I went bald in my 20's. Through a few years of constant teasing from friends and family alike, I went sooooo far off the deep end that I ended up joining hair club for men, yep, thats right. I wore a freaking hairpiece/toupe/manwig/dead rat etc on my dome.

This came at not only a huge expense (You would pass out if I told you how much each month I wasted on this crap), but with more self consciousness and fear than I ever had without the hair. I was constantly worried about "someone noticing", or if it came loose, or general "fake" looking stuff. I could never use a public pool, or ride in a convertible, or even let someone touch the top of my head (massages, etc)

To make matters worse, I ended up trapped in this nightmare because I couldn't find the courage to remove the stupid thing and go back to bald again out of fear of going into work (where no one knew of my dark secret)

Fast forward more than a decade to last November. My Mom began her final and most brutal round of Chemo and was very upset at her appearance for the holidays. Sadly, it took her pain and fear to smack me in the face and realize how dumb, selfish and shallow I had been for so long.

I shaved that rat off my head and went Mr. Clean from then on out.

Unbelievably to me, it was received well by 100% of my friends and family, from both those that knew my secret and those that didnt. My confidence is through the roof and I get compliments almost daily (and even a lil hit on here and there!)

Take some advice from someone who learned the hardest way possible.

Roll with it my friend, accept who you are no matter what your head looks like. The confidence that will come with that acceptance will do far more for how attractive you are perceived than any attempts to circumvent nature will do.

Be you and love every aspect of you!

Archived