Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS ANNOUNCE “10 FOR 80” WINNERS AT ANNUAL REDSKINS WELCOME HOME LUNCHEON

just654

I think it's a good list. Good to see guys like Beathard and Buges get recognized. I could probably do without Lavar on there. And I know it's not a popular opinion but I think there were more deserving choices than Sean Taylor. Before I get flamed, let me explain my position. He was an exciting player with unlimited potential but just wasn't around long enough to be considered one of the greatest. He was injured when we lost him and as hard as he played, who knows if his body would have held up for another 5 or 6 years for him to become one of the greats?

Ok, flame away!! :silly:

I think people's hatred of Lavar obscure their view of how good he was on the field, albeit for a relatively short time.

Agreed the good years he had here he was a top linebacker in the league. Considering how we have had so few great players since the past decade and a half he kind of makes it easily

I think people's hatred of Lavar obscure their view of how good he was on the field, albeit for a relatively short time.

True, he was not only a three time Pro Bowler, but a 3 time All-Pro. Very few Redskins can say that (although Pro Bowl appearances are obviously flawed stats, All Pro teams less so).

Champ Bailey made 4 Pro Bowls and 2 All Pros when he was here.

I think it's a good list. Good to see guys like Beathard and Buges get recognized. I could probably do without Lavar on there. And I know it's not a popular opinion but I think there were more deserving choices than Sean Taylor. Before I get flamed, let me explain my position. He was an exciting player with unlimited potential but just wasn't around long enough to be considered one of the greatest. He was injured when we lost him and as hard as he played, who knows if his body would have held up for another 5 or 6 years for him to become one of the greats?

Ok, flame away!! :silly:

I respectfully disagree. Yes, Sean didn't play long, and what he did purely on the field, as great as it was, maybe didn't add up to as much statistically as others because his life was cut short.

But I would submit that you must take into account his death and how it affected the entire fan base and the team to understand just how deeply, even in such a short period of time, Sean Taylor affected the Redskins, how much he meant to them. Just look at the fan reaction after his death. I've never seen or experienced anything like that: people crying, people devastated ... I've never seen a sports figure's death affect so many so deeply who didn't even know him ... me included.

That speaks volumes about how respected and loved he was. When he was out there, we knew there was at least one guy on the field who scared the opponent, one guy who wasn't going to take a single play off. Even when we couldn't be proud of our record, we could be proud of Sean Taylor and the way he played. He set a standard for Redskins football in the present day. Even opposing fans had nothing but respect and admiration for the guy.

I think he absolutely belongs.

pffff he got those pro bowls out of pure hype. he was thoroughly average on the field, unlike champ. he was a second overall pick with a ton of expectation and hype surrounding him, and people acted like it was a big deal any time he tackled anyone.

in those days, the redskins were an extremely well-oiled hype machine, and arrington was the primary focus of their marketing.

it took a few years for everyone to notice that he wasn't really doing anything more than the rest of the league's linebackers. by 2005, there were multiple articles naming him the most overrated player in the entire NFL, and guess what ... they were right.

Before I get flamed, let me explain my position. He was an exciting player with unlimited potential but just wasn't around long enough to be considered one of the greatest.

Not gonna flame you but can you name one player on that you could have voted for more deserving? Short career or not. He was a beast when he played for us. Which one of those other guys could change a game or changed games for us more than Sean Taylor? Hes on there because when he was here he was a difference maker. You guys questioning picks like Sean Taylor and Lavar must have forgot what it was like to watch them play. Almost the only bright spots on terrible teams.

pffff he got those pro bowls out of pure hype. he was thoroughly average on the field, unlike champ. he was a second overall pick with a ton of expectation and hype surrounding him, and people acted like it was a big deal any time he tackled anyone. everyone was ready to heap praise on him and it took a few years for everyone to notice that he wasn't really doing anything more than the rest of the league's linebackers.

He also made all pro teams. You don't earn your way onto an all-pro team by hype

If you call running past the play 8 out of 10 times great then yeah he was very good at it. No way he should be one of the 80 greats. Stephen Davis deserved to be on this list not Lavar.

By LaVar Arrington

I want to devote this post to extending a few thank yous. On Friday, I was selected one of the 80 greatest Redskins for the Redskins 80th Anniversary Team.

I’d like to start by thanking all the people who played a critical role in my development as a youth. It was that firm foundation that made it possible for me to go as far as I have in life. There are way too many people to name, but all who played a part know they did.

I truly appreciate every team mate I’ve ever had. Every individual accomplishment was made possible by the effort of the guys I played with. They made it possible for me to be what I am.

My time in college really helped me develop into a responsible adult and fostered my realization that being a great person outweighs being a great player. Those values led to my achievements in college, which led to my eventual departure for the 2000 NFL draft.

I can’t thank the Washington Redskins enough for believing enough in me enough to use the second overall pick in the draft to select me. The way the team and community embraced me still hasn’t been matched.

So to my fans and fans of the Redskins: I am eternally blessed and thankful to have been drafted to a place where the people are so phenomenal. This is my home. Sure, I had to leave under difficult circumstances all those years ago, but it never diminished the strong ties and bonds forged through our times together.

I am humbled and flattered by selection to this group, which shows how much a player means to you. Voting ten more guys to the list of greatest Redskins solidifies what we meant to each other forever.

Thank you so much. I promise to continue to work hard to make a difference in our communities.

In my heart I’ve always believed this: Make a tackle, make millions. Make a play, make millions. But change a person’s life, priceless. You the fans are truly priceless to me as you all have changed my life.

I honestly think Lavar would get the Tiki Barber treatment (boo'd) if he was to ever walk out on FedEx Field. Dude has an over-inflated sense of his self-worth, and he isn't really all that liked in the DMV. He's got the usual folks who kiss his ass on his show, but he's burned MANY bridges with people in the league and also in the community. Personally, I think he's an idiot - though deserving of the ranking as one of the 80 best in our franchise history.

Not gonna flame you but can you name one player on that you could have voted for more deserving? Short career or not. He was a beast when he played for us. Which one of those other guys could change a game or changed games for us more than Sean Taylor? Hes on there because when he was here he was a difference maker. You guys questioning picks like Sean Taylor and Lavar must have forgot what it was like to watch them play. Almost the only bright spots on terrible teams.

I respect your point about being a bright spot on an otherwise pretty crappy team. I also think Stephen Davis and Sellers are deserving and I would throw Ethan Albright out there too. Although he wasn't at a glamorous position, for 10 years, you never had to worry about a bad snap on a punt or extra point.

Wow, I still can't believe Arrington got in. ... I lost all respect for Arrington when he called Joe Gibbs a coward in 2006.

Maybe me being outside the DMV media complex I didn't form the biases to his gab (i'd suggest tuning out and turning the channel, but thats just me). But I can't remember any other reason I watched Redskins football other than the top five D in the earlier parts of 2000s. Arrington was a huge part of that. Mofu took out T.Aikman's career; one of my favorite games to date. Dude knocked your clock silly, how many concussions did Arrington write the checks to?

The sacred cow that is Gibbs II. Not everyone worships at that alter. I had huge reservation about his return. Specifically questioning his age, 2004 football knowledge, health, priority, and longevity. Arrington captured, the minority sentiment, that Gibbs II was gimmicky. I for one had no confidence that Gibbs II was going to be here for the long run nor felt he was establishing an institutional organization that would survive his short term at the helm. Then we had Zorn. Nuff said and validated. Gibbs II was a short term solution to a long term problem. Anyways, I do appreciate the playoff runs.

Maybe me being outside the DMV media complex I didn't form the biases to his gab (i'd suggest tuning out and turning the channel, but thats just me). But I can't remember any other reason I watched Redskins football other than the top five D in the earlier parts of 2000s. Arrington was a huge part of that. Mofu took out T.Aikman's career; one of my favorite games to date.

No offense to you, but it says a lot about how sorry our team has been when you look back on a game that we got our asses kicked as being a favorite solely because we ended a rival's career. I can't remember what the final score was that day, but I know we got destroyed. I'm glad Lavar did what he did, too, but, man those teams he was on stunk. Until Gibbs II arrived, that is. :)

Most of the hate comes from his self indulging radio show. I must say, I liked him as a Redskin but one of the greatest? I don't know. Hell I would have put Stephen Davis or even Champ Baily ahead of Lavar. The fact is, it says alot about the low caliber players we had during that time. Truth is, Lavar in my book was a bust with a couple highlight plays (i.e. The hit on Aikman and the interception against the Panthers to make the playoffs) . Nowhere near what a 2nd pick's career should have been.

Here's probably why he's so hated now:

Now before you say, "Oh that's Clinton Portis!!", I will say Lavar tends to make everything about Lavar. He's a boni-fide glory seeker. Clinton was right. If you listen to his radio show long enough, you'll see what I'm talking about.

This is what Clinton was talking about. Check out this "me" speech at Sean's funeral:

By LaVar Arrington

I want to devote this post to extending a few thank yous. On Friday, I was selected one of the 80 greatest Redskins for the Redskins 80th Anniversary Team.

I’d like to start by thanking all the people who played a critical role in my development as a youth. It was that firm foundation that made it possible for me to go as far as I have in life. There are way too many people to name, but all who played a part know they did.

I truly appreciate every team mate I’ve ever had. Every individual accomplishment was made possible by the effort of the guys I played with. They made it possible for me to be what I am.

My time in college really helped me develop into a responsible adult and fostered my realization that being a great person outweighs being a great player. Those values led to my achievements in college, which led to my eventual departure for the 2000 NFL draft.

I can’t thank the Washington Redskins enough for believing enough in me enough to use the second overall pick in the draft to select me. The way the team and community embraced me still hasn’t been matched.

So to my fans and fans of the Redskins: I am eternally blessed and thankful to have been drafted to a place where the people are so phenomenal. This is my home. Sure, I had to leave under difficult circumstances all those years ago, but it never diminished the strong ties and bonds forged through our times together.

I am humbled and flattered by selection to this group, which shows how much a player means to you. Voting ten more guys to the list of greatest Redskins solidifies what we meant to each other forever.

Thank you so much. I promise to continue to work hard to make a difference in our communities.

In my heart I’ve always believed this: Make a tackle, make millions. Make a play, make millions. But change a person’s life, priceless. You the fans are truly priceless to me as you all have changed my life.

Did his Sideline restaurant employees ever get paid, because going belly up & shutting down without notice changed their lives.

Burns me up that Lavar got in over guys like D.Grant.

I was trying to remember which player i voted for that didnt make it.

Unbelievable that Lavar makes that list based mainly on 1 above average season. How is Stephen Davis not on the list also? Oh, I didn't vote for Sean Taylor either but I didn't see the point since who thought he wouldn't make it?

Archived