Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS ANNOUNCE “10 FOR 80” WINNERS AT ANNUAL REDSKINS WELCOME HOME LUNCHEON

just654

mossomo writes:

The sacred cow that is Gibbs II. Not everyone worships at that alter. I had huge reservation about his return. Specifically questioning his age, 2004 football knowledge, health, priority, and longevity. Arrington captured, the minority sentiment, that Gibbs II was gimmicky.

No he didn't. Arrington was nothing more than petty, jealous ******* when it came to Gibbs.

Arrington wanted to be the face of the franchise (for his own selfish reasons, not for the Redskins). He couldn't be that when Gibbs was here for 2 reasons:

1. Gibbs wouldn't allow one player to stand over all the others (he preached a team philosophy)

2. Gibbs became the center of attention in Washington (not by design... he is just simply a legend in D.C. )

Arrington couldn't STAND that. This is why he acted like a spoiled, petulant little baby. Not to mention a jackass.

He'd get hurt, and whine to the media that the coaches wouldn't let him come back to play. Then when he did come back and re-injure himself, he complain the coaches rushed him back. :doh:

You are full of it if you are trying to say Arrington had some great foresight that Gibbs 2.0 wasn't going to end with Superbowl success. He was too stupid to have that. There was a reason why Warren Sapp called him 'Mr. Can't Get Right'.

Maybe Gibbs second time around would've been more successful if players like Arrington had bothered reading his playbook once in a while... or paid attention in meetings. Or stopped freelancing in games, leaving HUGE holes in the defense for the opposing team to exploit.

Maybe we would've done better in the playoffs in 2005 if Arrington hadn't gone to the WP (yes they didn't seek him out... he went looking for them) and did an interview just days before the playoffs ripping the team, ripping the coaches, and just trying to do anything to be the center of attention again.

He spent his time blaming the team for his contract screw-up when he KNEW it was his agents (who have since been banned from the league) who messed things up.

Then when he does leave, this PoS tries to give the Redskin playbook (probably still sealed and unopened :ols: ) to the Giants (who refused it) and calls Gibbs (a legend who won 3 Super Bowl titles) a "coward" and "the worst coach I have ever had".

I'll do something I rarely do on this board.... use profanity. :ols:

**** Lavar Arrington. **** him. He can go to hell and stay there. He is one of the only former Redskins I TRULY TRULY despise (more than Deion Sanders).

Arrington is as much a true Redskin as Tony Dorsett is. **** him. As far as I'm concerned, his presence on this list completely invalidates it. I wash my hands of the list and any ceremony that comes from it.

Sorry for beating around the bush. ;)

Marcus Washington deserves to be on that list over Lavar. Hell, give me Randy Thomas or Cornelius Griffin over Lavar.

Absolutely agree!... and may I add another to that list. He helped us toward our first SB win, and toward another SB the following year (although we lost). He was fun as hell to watch, loved by Redskin Nation, and left on good terms. After Charlie Taylor, and before Gary Clark, there was Downtown Charlie Brown. I wish he had enough votes. Oh well.

I have no problem with those 10 except for Jansen. He was good for about 3 seasons (1999-2001), after that he was at best average. I don't recall everyone eligible to vote for but I know one was Darryl Grant and he should have been on this list way before Jansen.

The other interesting pick is Jefferson. His stats are nothing special but when I think 70s Skins his name and image is one of the first players who pop into my head. Also he has a special place for people my age because of his hosting of "It's Elementary" back in the day.

at first I was thinking... Lavar Arrington!?! Did he do enough on the field to actually make it on the list?

Then I looked at the list and I guess they have even worse reaches.

WR Roy Jefferson: The Redskins acquired him in 1971 when he was 28. Jefferson was a full-time starter in three seasons and caught 208 passes (16 for touchdowns) during his six seasons with the Redskins.

Don't know too much about him and I know the stats back in those days are different than now but stil... really with 208 recs over 6 years? thats what 38 catches and 2.75 TDs per year? Don't know about that one. Maybe he is one of those guys that you have to had watched him play...

S Sean Taylor: Hard to believe it’ll be five years this November when he was murdered. Taylor was just developing into a force when he died in his fourth season. He was a rare athlete at safety and would have been perfect for how the NFL has developed and what is required of this position. It was fun to watch how the Redskins deployed him as his speed provided a terrific advantage.

Maybe I will get blasted on this. Did ST do enough on the field to get on the list? I dont think so. There is no question he would be on the list if he didn't get murdered but that's a different questin altogether.

..... Maybe I will get blasted on this. Did ST do enough on the field to get on the list? I dont think so. There is no question he would be on the list if he didn't get murdered but that's a different questin altogether.

ANYONE bashing you for that TOTALLY valid question/ view point would be out of order IMHO and just looking at it from a purely emotive POV.

But as Sean naturally is such an emotive subject, any and debate is best left for another time and another thread.

Hail.

I'm not surprised LA made the list at all. I'll never forget that game against the 49er's at Fed Ex in 2005 when we destryoed them. He wasn't starting and the majority of the crowd was chanting for him to get in the game. When he ran on the field the place went nuts and LA went nuts on the field. Up until his last playing days as a Redskin his jersey was donned by more people than any other at Fed Ex. Argue all you want. It's a fact.

"Blue Ribbon Panel" had something to do with it, but the fan vote carried the most weight by far.

And think about it ... what "Blue Ribbon Panel" selected by the owner is going to go out of their way to put in Lavar Arrington? He must've gotten a lot of votes.

OK, I'll agree... "conspiracy" is not the way to go here... but just out of curiosity, if it's all done by fan votes only, what's the reason for the panel?

Are they Price Waterhouse or something?

How the hell does Arrington make it on the list and over Parish, Lavender, Milot, Dean, or Saul? At least Hermerling and Jefferson made it.

---------- Post added August-25th-2012 at 11:01 AM ----------

Thats crazy he didn't make it and this guy didhttp://www.redskins80th.com/media/filer/2012/05/01/hermeling_terry.jpg

How did y'all not vote my boy Smoot in!?

I would rather have Hermeling out there now protecting Griffin over some of the slugs we have now. He was an undrafted anchor for 8 years. He deserves to be on the list.

Agree no way it should be Arrington, it should be Stephan Davis

Holy Smokes. Davis not on the list is shocking.

I still think and claim that Arrington is the largest disappointment since Heath Shuler. He was supposed to be our version of Ray Lewis. He was not.

Davis lead the team to the playoffs in 1999, and is probably the 3rd or 4th best running back the team ever had. If he had still been around when Gibbs got here, he would have been the perfect Gibbs running back, and the team wouldn't have even considered the Portis trade.

Btw, I think Lavar stuffed the ballot box. I would be interested to see the vote counts, and who ranked where...

The only time Lavar was studly & consistent was in Madden.

Easily the most overrated Redskin player of all-time, imo.

Mr. Freelance

They need to substitute Arrington for Chris Samuels.

Now he deserves it.

I would rather reach in a hat and grab a random former Redskins for the list, than have Lavar on it.

"Look Ma...Joe Lavender"

Seriously, it's embarrassing to have Lavar on the list.

OK, I'll agree... "conspiracy" is not the way to go here... but just out of curiosity, if it's all done by fan votes only, what's the reason for the panel?

Are they Price Waterhouse or something?

From my understanding, they simply oversee the process and if something seems amiss in the fan votes, they can possibly overrule them. Bernard Shaw was on the panel, I think Theismann ... don't know of the others, but at least those two are very close with Snyder, so they're not going to be stepping over themselves to make sure Lavar gets on the list.

Basically, they help choose the people who are going to be voted on to begin with, and then they pretty much abide by the fan vote. So their role was much more prominent before the voting process began.

From my understanding, they simply oversee the process and if something seems amiss in the fan votes, they can possibly overrule them. Bernard Shaw was on the panel, I think Theismann ... don't know of the others, but at least those two are very close with Snyder, so they're not going to be stepping over themselves to make sure Lavar gets on the list.

Basically, they help choose the people who are going to be voted on to begin with, and then they pretty much abide by the fan vote. So their role was much more prominent before the voting process began.

That makes sense to me... thanks Diss!

As for my opinion, LA never came close to the hype that surrounded him. At best he was an average player that made a couple of flashy plays. If he had any type of discipline he could have been a great player. I don't doubt he had the talent, but talent alone will only take you so far in the NFL.

Archived