Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS ANNOUNCE “10 FOR 80” WINNERS AT ANNUAL REDSKINS WELCOME HOME LUNCHEON

just654

I'll put it like this;

London, a consummate professional and a guy who's produced every tie he's been of the field, has to wait ten years to be named one of the greatest Redskins. London has not missed a game, has never said a bad word about the team, and no matter how poorly the organization was doing, he went out and busted his ass every Sunday.

LaVar is the anti-London. And he gets in because he was the "face of the franchise" even though he was never quite as good as we pretended and effectively has made a career off badmouthing the football team.

People's priorities are funny.

Maybe you didn't get a chance to watch Arrington play. My one knock on Arrington is, he was never disciplined in a defensive system he freelanced alot. LaVar Arrington is easily one of the best players we had in the last 10 years. Dont pretend like he didn't produce on the field when he did play for us. He got injured and was involved in some petty mess with Gregg Williams and Joe Gibbs.

I know inside and outside LB are two different positions but Arrington probably has the stats to back up him being on the list.

I voted for Arrington, I always liked him as a Redskin and don't really get why he gets so much hate on ES.

Because he refused to adapt to a successful scheme, threw a fit and threatened to leave the team just before our playoff game vs. Tampa in '05, blamed the team for his contract situation when it was his own agent who didn't read the contract and was suspended for a year, bought his way off the team, went to the rival Giants and gave them our playbook, threw Gibbs under the bus, spoke at STs funeral using it as a platform to promote himself and claimed he was burying the hatchet with the team, but now makes a living trashing the team on radio.

Arrington doesn't deserve the honor because of his actions and words both on and off the field. I'm happy with the list overall but saddened by that one choice, and upset with our fanbase for voting him in over much more deserving older players, who we only had a couple of because, judging from the list, most don't remember football before 2000.

Because he refused to adapt to a successful scheme, threw a fit and threatened to leave the team just before our playoff game vs. Tampa in '05, blamed the team for his contract situation when it was his own agent who didn't read the contract and was suspended for a year, bought his way off the team, went to the rival Giants and gave them our playbook, threw Gibbs under the bus, spoke at STs funeral using it as a platform to promote himself and claimed he was burying the hatchet with the team, but now makes a living trashing the team on radio.

Arrington doesn't deserve the honor because of his actions and words both on and off the field. I'm happy with the list overall but saddened by that one choice, and upset with our fanbase for voting him in over much more deserving older players, who we only had a couple of because, judging from the list, most don't remember football before 2000.

This time x100.

went to the rival Giants and gave them our playbook

Said former LB coach Dale Lindsey when asked if the Giants had an advantage with what Arrington knew of the Redskins' defense, "No, he didn't know the playbook when he was here"

LaVar's comeback was that he had the playbook and gave it to the Giants coaches. That drew a Lindsey comment that "if he (LaVar) has a playbook, I guarantee he's never opened it."

Uh, being the face of a failing franchise is a bad thing, people.

He was a decent player, had one fantastic interception that sparked a comeback for the season (still no playoffs), and then went to absolute ****. He was an average player on the field and a massive dick off of it. It's a horrible call.

---------- Post added August-24th-2012 at 01:52 PM ----------

Game, set, match.

I'm shocked Santana or Chris Cooley didn't make the list. Also would have liked to see Marcus Washington or Mike Sellers make the list over Terry Hermerling or Roy Jefferson.

Santana and Cooley aren't eligible yet, as they're still on the team (yeah, I know Darrell was voted onto the 70 while still playing, but he is an anomaly). I think Sellers was eligible. In fact, I think he was close to getting selected.

I loved Marcus, but I wouldn't put him on that list at all. He didn't have the overall impact.

Sort of surprised that Hermeling got in. Could he have possibly received that many fan votes? Good lineman and all, but ...

And Arrington? Well, he had some good years for us, but no way would I put him in over people like Lohmiller, Charlie Brown, Bubba Tyer, etc. That's ridiculous.

But, blame Redskin Nation. Fan votes carried the day.

I loved Marcus, but I wouldn't put him on that list at all. He didn't have the overall impact.

i think if he'd retired one year sooner you'd hear his name come up more often and with more fondness. unfortunately, his body failed him and we were forced to watch.

Arrington was NOT a great player. he was hyped like he was, though. he made the pro bowl on pure hype. nobody wanted to say that our second overall pick was a bust. but other than one season-changing interception, and one big hit on aikman, he failed to live up to expectations, and indeed was a liability on defense.

Samuels, Jansen, Portis, S.T. #21, and Buges made it. At the end of the day, that's all I really care about. Arrington, Say what you want. But for a short while, he was the face of the team, and made an impact. I don't necessarily like it, but i'm not upset by it

Roy Jefferson was the perfect compliment to Charley Taylor when George Allen brought him aboard in 1971. The Skins started off 5-0 that year, including a 20-16 victory IN Dallas. Sadly, Taylor suffered a broken ankle in game 6 against Kansas City and the Skins were a mediocre 4-4-1 the rest of the way, squeezing into the playoffs and losing to San Francisco. Jefferson was forced to carry the receiving load after Taylor went down and was usually double-covered. Roy still led the Skins in receiving that year and in 1972, with Taylor back, he helped the Skins get to their first Super Bowl.

Terry Hermeling was a UDFA out of Nevada-Reno in 1970 and anchored the LT position during Allen's tenure. He belongs on this list every bit as much as Jon Jansen.

I have no problem with anyone of the guys that made the list except for Lavar although I am a little disappointed older guys like Wilbur Moore and Dick Todd didn't get more consideration.

Think again... they said our votes ALONG with a blue ribbon panel. I'm pretty sure that panel just tugged him along.

"Blue Ribbon Panel" had something to do with it, but the fan vote carried the most weight by far.

And think about it ... what "Blue Ribbon Panel" selected by the owner is going to go out of their way to put in Lavar Arrington? He must've gotten a lot of votes.

I think Norv deserves more of a spot in the top 80 then Lavar

---------- Post added August-24th-2012 at 03:16 PM ----------

"Blue Ribbon Panel" had something to do with it, but the fan vote carried the most weight by far.

And think about it ... what "Blue Ribbon Panel" selected by the owner is going to go out of their way to put in Lavar Arrington? He must've gotten a lot of votes.

You're being delusional if you think the fan vote had the most weight. Not only could they easily manipulated, but the panel could just straight up overrule them.

I think Norv deserves more of a spot in the top 80 then Lavar

---------- Post added August-24th-2012 at 03:16 PM ----------

You're being delusional if you think the fan vote had the most weight. Not only could they easily manipulated, but the panel could just straight up overrule them.

You're absolutely wrong. And I do know.

Now, please explain to me ... what "blue ribbon panel" is going to manipulate the vote so that Lavar Arrington becomes one of the all-time great Redskins? If anything, they'd do the opposite.

If you don't think his inclusion is mostly because fans voted for him, then it's you who's delusional.

Archived