Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Olympics Thread

ixcuincle

So I know the world doesn't like the fact that the US doesn't take soccer as serious but can you imagine if we did and we managed to become a dominant force in soccer and basketball? The world would then hate us for owning everything LOL.

The world doesn't care that the US isn't terribly good at soccer. The odds of the US dominating soccer any time soon is as likely as Argentina dominating basketball. Best case scenario is that the US improves at soccer enough to be a serious player in international soccer and that other nations improve enough at basketball to make a world cup nearly as entertaining as soccer's.

The good news is that basketball has exploded in popularity. There are pro leagues everywhere now and I don't think many sports compete for 6'8 or taller athletes. The worlds entire supply of big men are increasingly being funneled into basketball programs. :)

Russia is down 11-14 in the third set of the men's volleyball finals. :wtf:

---------- Post added August-12th-2012 at 04:35 PM ----------

Now, it's 19-22!

---------- Post added August-12th-2012 at 04:49 PM ----------

Holy ****, that awful substitution.

---------- Post added August-12th-2012 at 04:54 PM ----------

The Brazilians were on game point three times...

bark.jpg

Musersky propping up the country of Russia.

Glad to see our guys win. I still think the Dream Team was better. MJ and crew would never have let Spain get within 6 points in those last few minutes.

the spain they played or this spain with 9 players with nba experience (or recently drafted)??

i don't think how much international competition has improved since '92 can even be quantified.

From what I'm hearing this closing ceremony should be good. Or at least interesting.

i watched it live, it wasnt, lol

NBC cut out The Who also :ols:

the spain they played or this spain with 9 players with nba experience (or recently drafted)??

i don't think how much international competition has improved since '92 can even be quantified.

it doesnt matter, people are stuck in the past. They will never let the past go :ols:

4RAC3.jpg

Man the Olympics end way too quick. :(

It's always a such a huge letdown when they end. For two weeks it is "sports escapism" and then it's back to reality.

It's kind of like getting back home after vacation and wondering why it went so fast.

I wish the summer games were every two years. I like the winter olympics, but not as much.

Sad to see its over, glad to see that we're the best in the world.

They are both every 4 years, but in the early 90s, they had consecutive winter olympics in 92 and 94, so that you would get either a summer or winter olympics every 2 years instead of waiting the 4 years.

Next winter is in 2014, then 2016, summer. 2018 winter, etc......

Haven't watched the closing ceremony yet, but that was an unequivocal success.

From the spellbinding opening ceremony, through the widely acclaimed unmatched atmosphere around the whole games, per both athletes and seasoned Olympic visitors; through Team GB's record modern day medal haul; and all points in between; the 2012 London Olympics was a fantastic 17 days experience for all. And showcased to the World all that can still be good about England/ Britain.

Sorry it's all over. But equally proud of the show we put on, and the plaudits from all quarters on most everything.

Not bad for a Country that wasn't ready hey Mitt? ******* jackwagon.

Hail.

Haven't watched the closing ceremony yet, but that was an unequivocal success.

From the spellbinding opening ceremony, through the widely acclaimed unmatched atmosphere around the whole games, per both athletes and seasoned Olympic visitors; through Team GB's record modern day medal haul; and all points in between; the 2012 London Olympics was a fantastic 17 days experience for all. And showcased to the World all that can still be good about England/ Britain.

Sorry it's all over. But equally proud of the show we put on, and the plaudits from all quarters on most everything.

Not bad for a Country that wasn't ready hey Mitt? ******* jackwagon.

Hail.

Clearly you did not have to endure NBC's coverage of the games. Consider yourself lucky.

Clearly you did not have to endure NBC's coverage of the games. Consider yourself lucky.

Yeah, aside from what I've been reading in here, I've heard enough from friends Stateside. The tape delay shame in 2012 just beggars belief. Brazil 2016 will have most events through the night in Britain with the time difference. But the BBC will still be covering them all live as they happen. Live, edge of your seat coverage > prime time ratings. Something the money driven networks fail to get.

Here, on the other hand, you had the BBC dedicating 2 of it's 4 main primetime channels to almost 24/7 coverage (something like 6 in the AM through 1/2 the following AM each day); along with adding, just for the event, 24 extra channels so not one part of one event was missed if you wanted it. Throw in an excellent on-line site from BBC sport specifically for the Olympics, with again every single event available for instant replay at the touch of a button; and the Europe wide sports cable channel EuroSport covering everything in depth; and NBC need to hang their heads in shame.

Still UBBER pissed at NBC for cutting out the 7/7 tribute from the opening ceremony BTW. A conscious decision as it was on the fricking tape delay. One can only imagine the reaction Stateside if this had been a NY games for example and the World feed cut out a 9/11 tribute.

Hail.

Overall, NBC did a mediocre job. A lot of crap about the tape delay, but you could have watched online. The real criticism comes in their coverage of the opening and closing ceremonies. How do you cut off the closing ceremony? You can't do that. Their editing of both ceremonies was a joke, and an insult to journalistic coverage.

Archived