Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice on when to transition a toddler to a bed

Popeman38

So tonight marks a historic achievement: my 2 year old climbed and fell out of her crib. I think 2 is too young to transition to a bed, but my wife thinks once the crib is breached it is time.

So my ES brethren and sisteren, what say you?

We did our boy at 2 years 4 months. He hadn't climbed out, but he had asked for it, and we wanted to get him a few months in the bed before baby #2. Apparently, there are sometimes bed transition issues for an older child with a new baby.

Yeah we took ours out of the cribs and went to beds once they can escape the crib. I'd recommend a toddler bed that's very low to the floor for starters, atleast until they get the hang of getting in and out of it.

I was helping take care of my nephew when he was that age. He was in the bed at about that time. As soon as I moved out,he took over that room. His mom and dad couldn't get rid of the full sized bed in the other room,so they took the bed off the frame and put it on the floor,(it had box springs). Man that boy loved that bed. Combination playground and sleeping spot. Came in quite handy at times. He's be bouncing up and down and playing with his stuffed toys 1 minute,the next out like a light. Convenient. :) 2 is fine.

As a pediatrician, I advise parents to do it as soon as the kid can fall out of the crib (ideally before). I've seen a few significant injuries from falls from cribs. 2 is definitely not too early. As mentioned above, many kids (like mine) sleep a lot better once they are in a bed. Who knows why.

Make the switch, and good luck.

I went from the dresser drawer until I got too big' date=' to the crib, to the couch when I could climb out, to the bed.

Of course, I'm a terrible person and you don't want your kid following in my footsteps.[/quote']This is by far the bet response lol.

I appreciate the responses guys. Guess mom was right again. God that gets old!

Yeah, my youngest is 3 and still in the crib. She never showed any inclanation to climb out.

My oldest climbed out at about 18 months and went into a toddler bed the next night (went to Ikea and bought and put the thing together after work).

Yeah, my youngest is 3 and still in the crib. She never showed any inclanation to climb out.

My oldest climbed out at about 18 months and went into a toddler bed the next night (went to Ikea and bought and put the thing together after work).

This was exactly our situation. Our oldest went right to a toddler bed at 18 months after climbing out and in like a mountain climber. Our youngest was in the crib until just after he turned 3 and never wanted to climb out. He loved the crib.

We did both our kids on their 2nd birthday. We bought bed rails from target I think. Both did very well, though my six year old still will occasionally fall out of his bed at night. I will go in and he will be sleeping on the floor. Pretty funny

I have a 17 month old. A few months ago my wife said we needed to buy him a toddler bed "for the future." I said, "ok, we can go to babies r us and pick one up when he's about 2." A few weeks later a $1200 new cherry oak colored wooden double bed headboard and frame arrived.

So, guess my son will have an adult bed when he turns 2 instead of the race car bed I was eyeing.

I have a 17 month old. A few months ago my wife said we needed to buy him a toddler bed "for the future." I said, "ok, we can go to babies r us and pick one up when he's about 2." A few weeks later a $1200 new cherry oak colored wooden double bed headboard and frame arrived.

So, guess my son will have an adult bed when he turns 2 instead of the race car bed I was eyeing.

We went from crib to regular Full size bed when ours was about 2 or 2½. In our mind, we mostly skipped the small kid beds because we wanted a decent size bed for any family that visited overnight. Full is no Queen, but her room is also not a large "adult" size room...so we went Full.

She is now 5 and is using the same bed. We are expecting our next child in a few months, and when he turns 2/3 and is ready to upgrade we will give him the Full and upgrade our then-8 year old to a Queen. Again, the thought is for guests coming to visit.

we bought my daughter her toddler bed when she turned 2, she's 27 months now. She's been ready for it, but we've been busy. Now we're moving to a new house so we want to ease the transition a bit more too so we're going to hold off for another month or two.

2 sounds about the age swapped to the toddler bed. The change was made right after I heard a big bang from upstairs. She learned to climb out, didn't get hurt but scared the crap out of me.

She never had a problem sleeping in it.

Archived