Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washingtonian.com: Redskins’ Fred Davis’s Legal Mess: Harassment Suit, Restraining Order

I don't accept your analogy. Acting as a barrister and arguing a case, even a relatively simple one at face value IS a skilled job. In no way is it just a case of turning up on the day and telling your side of the story - you need to really understand the law in question, understand what case law has meant in terms of interpretation and what arguments have prevailed and which have been rejected - most cases with lawyers involved don't even get to court, they get settled in advance saving you potentially time, worry and money.

No you didn't but that's the logical conclusion of your position. If you are allowing people to hire lawyers and be represented by them in Court you end up with exactly the system we have now. No sane person is going to represent themselves in anything but the most simple case if the other side has a lawyer. Unless your just there to plead guilty I guess.

You are exactly right, and anyone arguing the contrary is really ignorant of how the system works. There is a reason why lawyers and judges that find themselves as defendants in a court of law hire lawyers to defend them; they never, even with their experience, background, and understanding of the law, represent themselves. By Fred Davis doing this, he has shown his ignorance on the ways of the real world, which, in turn, does not bode well for people who want to believe that he is mature enough or smart enough to keep himself out of trouble (Stupidity, immaturity, money, and fame never mix well). Just because something is legal, and people are allowed to do it, doesn't mean they should. It is legal to go swimming in the ocean when Great Whites have been spotted in the waters nearby, but not very smart to actually do it.

Arguing in court is not a colloquial argument. Knowing the nuances of rhetoric and logic are key to winning the case. Typical "persuasive" tactics used in politics and other cowardly ways to resolve issues like lying, misconstruing, ad hominem attacks, etc can be identified and slaughtered easily by a skilled lawyer or philosophy student(because both law and philsophy utilizes logical argumentation and anyone who wants to get far in either subject better study his logic or else go elsewhere).

You want to rep yourself in court? Start learning rhetoric and logic. Otherwise, you'll lose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

New details emerge:

The incident in question took place on January 6, 2011, during a surprise party for Davis thrown by his Redskins teammates at Josephine Nightclub. Chaka said she arrived at with a number of Ravens players, including Denver Broncos runningback Willis McGahee, who she identified as a client. "The Redskins and the Ravens players don’t get along," Chaka testified.

"A lot of the Redskins players are jealous of the Ravens players because they are a better team."

Davis repeatedly denied throwing the bottle, even after a video of the incident was shown in court clearly showing Davis through the bottle at Chaka. (I personally saw the video footage of the incident played at least four times in court.)

"I didn’t throw the bottle—the bottle came out of my hand," he said at one point.

"I release it, I didn’t throw it."

"I didn’t throw it at her. Period."

Well, the good news out of this is at least Davis got a real lawyer to represent him...

Well, the good news out of this is at least Davis got a real lawyer to represent him...

Blessing in disguise to take from all of this, is that it helps the Redskins in negotiations. Meaning that Freddy's legal, health, and suspension red flags will make him less attractive on the FA market. I can't imagine anyone beating down his door at this point. I'm pretty certain he will be back at a bargin.

>> Should have asked her who won the game in Dec.....

smh, Look, I'm a Skin's fan like most everyone else around here but to think that a regular season win in Dec means that there may not be some jealousy, considering that little W the Ravens got not too long ago.......is a bit of stretch

smh, Look, I'm a Skin's fan like most everyone else around here but to think that a regular season win in Dec means that there may not be some jealousy, considering that little W the Ravens got not too long ago.......is a bit of stretch

I highly doubt any players are really jealous of other players (save for maybe Tom Brady).

• 11 months later...

Archived