Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washingtonian.com: Redskins’ Fred Davis’s Legal Mess: Harassment Suit, Restraining Order

I more or less agree with the replies to my quote, although my ability put much past the NFL front office these days...well let's just say that nothing surprises me anymore.

I also just can't resist the opportunity to use the word "pimpette" in a sentence.

Imo, Davis should hire an attorney and concentrate on Football. This issue could cause a lot more distraction than what it's worth. Davis may feel that he has the legal acumen to represent himself, but his representing himself is tantamount to a lawyer trying to play tight end at a professional level.

I'm wondering why Shanallen hasn't taken Sleepy aside and told him to cut the ****. I mean, this is hardly the way I think they'd want him portrayed - stubborn, too proud to seek help, unable to handle vocabulary, a bit addled, etc., etc. What I really wonder is if he didn't respond well to the "talk" about abstaining from weed, and if that has created a situation where he's going to be allowed to hang himself. Any thoughts about that?

I imagine Davis probably just thinks it's some random broad trying to get money from him. She's engaged in stupid lawsuits before. Reading the transcripts, Davis' isn't coming off like the dumb one; this Chaka broad is.

Still, he'd probably save himself a lot of trouble by just hiring a lawyer. But the case shouldn't be a distraction; it's gone until 2013 when it goes to trial.

---------- Post added June-29th-2012 at 03:57 PM ----------

I'm wondering why Shanallen hasn't taken Sleepy aside and told him to cut the ****. I mean, this is hardly the way I think they'd want him portrayed - stubborn, too proud to seek help, unable to handle vocabulary, a bit addled, etc., etc. What I really wonder is if he didn't respond well to the "talk" about abstaining from weed, and if that has created a situation where he's going to be allowed to hang himself. Any thoughts about that?

"Unable to handle vocabulary?"

He used all of one word wrong, probably just screwed up when he was trying either say flagrant or fraudulent (which the suit also appears to be).

You're reading too deep into this. They're not allowing him to "hang himself". Again; it's not as big a deal as some people seem to be trying to make it.

"Unable to handle vocabulary?"

He used all of one word wrong, probably just screwed up when he was trying either say flagrant or fraudulent (which the suit also appears to be).

You're reading too deep into this. They're not allowing him to "hang himself". Again; it's not as big a deal as some people seem to be trying to make it.

It was a truly flagellant misuse of vocabulary though...

I hope you're right actually. I do wonder though about the wisdom of allowing him to continue representing himself.

If it's truly a case without merit (as it appears) then there might be no harm in letting him do his thing. But when you look at it from a risk-based approach - the risk of a PR nightmare actually happening could be low, but the impact would be high. Is it worth it? Also, think of the associations people have when they hear "he represented himself before the court." Who do you think of - a wholesome all-American stand-up guy, or someone who likely is described by one of the following monikers: serial-killer, Una-bomber, paranoid, Charles Manson, delusional, Underwear Bomber, idiot, Ted Bundy, etc. That's some august company right there, just the sort of crowd you want your guys to be associated with in the minds of the masses.

You're probably right about reading too much into it, but I still don't get why someone in the organization hasn't convinced him to have it handled by a seasoned professional.

Come on guys. NFL news has slowed to a crawl. We need little nuggets like this to tide us over until TC.

Trial is in March? That means he's got until February to realize what an awful idea this is, and stop the moonlighting second career. What's he hoping for, a gig with the NFLPA after his playing days are over?

In the meantime, I say we take up a paypal collection to get this judge to speak off the record on what this was like. I bet he saw self-represented for both parties, and reached for the Fun Flask in his desk.

Considering this whole thing looks shaky to begin with, and considering this started before he got suspended, I'm going to not worry about this. Sure, him not hiring a lawyer is a silly move, but he's not going to get suspended for not hiring a lawyer in a civil case. Honestly, this is not really a big deal. He's going to be the #1 te come week one, and should, barring some drastic events, be in line for a 1k year.

It was a truly flagellant misuse of vocabulary though...

I hope you're right actually. I do wonder though about the wisdom of allowing him to continue representing himself.

If it's truly a case without merit (as it appears) then there might be no harm in letting him do his thing. But when you look at it from a risk-based approach - the risk of a PR nightmare actually happening could be low, but the impact would be high. Is it worth it? Also, think of the associations people have when they hear "he represented himself before the court." Who do you think of - a wholesome all-American stand-up guy, or someone who likely is described by one of the following monikers: serial-killer, Una-bomber, paranoid, Charles Manson, delusional, Underwear Bomber, idiot, Ted Bundy, etc. That's some august company right there, just the sort of crowd you want your guys to be associated with in the minds of the masses.

You're probably right about reading too much into it, but I still don't get why someone in the organization hasn't convinced him to have it handled by a seasoned professional.

Mainly because it's not the business of anyone in the organization. 'Least not yet. And who knows; maybe someone HAS spoken to Davis about it. We don't know.

And I don't think of any of those guys when I think of someone defending themselves in court. People defend themselves in court all the time. I wouldn't compare Joe Blow who argues a ticket in traffic court and acts as his own counsel to Charles Manson or Ted Bundy or even an idiot. Now this isn't exactly the same, but any ensuing "PR disaster" is mostly in the minds of uber-paranoid fans.

It's just a civil case. The kind you'd probably see on any number of courtroom TV shows. Not that big a deal, and likely to end with no harm.

Fred is a dumb ass...cut him...we don't need the headache...talented but immature and not a champion...later Fred...

NLC's got the general idea covered, but you'd really cut Davis when he's our best TE, is already accounted for on the money side of things and is only on a 1 year tag anyway, is only dealing with a legal issue that existed prior to his suspension (and is a civil case at that), and most importantly, when we have a brand new QB who needs good targets to throw to?

We'd be shooting ourselves in the foot with that one.

NLC's got the general idea covered, but you'd really cut Davis when he's our best TE, is already accounted for on the money side of things and is only on a 1 year tag anyway, is only dealing with a legal issue that existed prior to his suspension (and is a civil case at that), and most importantly, when we have a brand new QB who needs good targets to throw to?

We'd be shooting ourselves in the foot with that one.

Cut him! Football players are supposed to be All-American angels who never do anything wrong!

I understand that Fred hasn't necessarily earned the benefit of the doubt, but why are people so quick to assume he's guilty in this instance? There's a big difference between smoking some weed and assaulting a woman. The lady could be golddigging Fred or maybe he did it, who knows? Let the process play out and have the guy's back. I do think it's hilarious that he's chosen to waive his right to a lawyer and use the word "flagellant," but other than that, anybody saying we should cut him because of some unfounded allegation is ridiculous. No TE on our roster is anywhere close to as talented as Fred Davis right now, so let's pump the brakes and let the facts come out.

You know, this is funny, but it's only the 2nd funniest legal snafu I've read about this week.

The funniest (in a "so insane it's sad" way) is the whole Charles Carreon vs. the Oatmeal thing. Watching Carreon and his wife systematically dig themselves deeper and deeper into a hole is hilarious. It went from silly, to crazy, to sad, and now officially back to funny. Ars Technica and Popehat have good stuff on that if anyone hasn't heard.

As I read through this entire thread, I wondered who'd be the first one to point out this all occurred in January 2011 -- before the failed drug tests. Congrats to NLC1054 !!

If anything, this kind of thing is should be driving home to Fred Davis -- that he needs to raise his off-field game to same level he's raised his game on the field. He's obviously not going to be a radio-announcer when he's finished with football, so he needs to be keeping whatever money he makes, while he can still make it.

Secondly, I started to suspect this is kept as a low-tier civil case, and without lawyers -- it probably wouldn't get to the level of a Goodell review. When you considering the trouble that Davis was later running into with his drug tests -- maybe someone felt a low-key approach to this case might be the good move for the moment. Davis can always get legal representation later, if things turn out badly in court. And there's also the possibilyt that some low-ball settlement might be the quietest way quiet this messy incident. Right now, it has more of a comic effect, than a shock effect -- and I suspect Goodell is probably laughing more than frowning.

As a side note, after considering Fred's elegant language skills, I briefly entertained the idea he might be using the term "pimp cup" like a descriptive action ... in reference to that special 'grip' of hers that Davis was repeatedly describing to the judge. <j/k>

Anyhow, thanks for the translation.

As I read through this entire thread, I wondered who'd be the first one to point out this all occurred in January 2011 -- before the failed drug tests. Congrats to NLC1054 !!

Wrong..I did lol :D...Not the specific date, but I did mention that it happened "awhile back" and that the league obviously wasn't bothered by it.

EDIT: whoops, he did mention it first lol...on the page before I did, I think.

Archived