Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This makes me sick (and the results make me smile): Bullying the Bus Monitor

SnyderShrugged

You can sit there and say that, but cell phones and Twitter/Facebook is something, as a parent, is damn near impossible to monitor. You can kids come from the very same household and one kid goes on to live a productive life and the other is in and out of trouble. Did the parents parent one kid better? No.

You cannot always blame the parents for a kids problems.

Possibly yes. Sure every kid is different, but that means they need to be raised different.

I not entirely sold on the notion that this problem is a 'new problem with kids'. This crap has been going on forever. If anything it is the advent of cell phone camera technology and You Tube, that is the difference today.

Kids behaving terribly and bad parents are nothing new.

Kids are cruel.

This is not new. It's awful to see, but it's not some new phenomenon that kids are cruel little ****s, especially when no one is around to stop them.

Besides, I guarantee that most of those kids, if confronted alone by it, will plead that they were only doing it because others were doing it, and probably will feel bad about it.

In a kid's mind, making the old lady cry isn't about the old lady. It's about making their friends laugh and fitting in with the group, even when the group does things that individually they know are wrong. Kids are heavily influenced by their peers, and have little of the social graces that allow for the empathy it takes to understand the lady's pain in the course of the teasing.

But it is certainly nothing new at all.

Kids are cruel, and they always have been, and always will be.

~Bang

The parents have some blame, at least responsibility to correct their kids now. But the majority blame goes to those kids.

Agreed. 100% this is on these kids.

Although, isn't that womans job to make sure these kids don't act like that? :D

---------- Post added June-21st-2012 at 03:49 PM ----------

Show me a perfect parent.

What's your point?

All it takes is one bad kid. I had wonderful parents and I know I did some DUMB things because of peer pressure or the need to fit in. Kids at that age are absolutely aware of basic rights and wrongs. It's just that at that particular age, fitting in and being "cool" is much more important. Hence, kids raised in perfectly good homes, if mixed in with one or two douchebag friends, are completely capable of doing stupid things.

All it takes is one bad kid. I had wonderful parents and I know I did some DUMB things because of peer pressure or the need to fit in. Kids at that age are absolutely aware of basic rights and wrongs. It's just that at that particular age, fitting in and being "cool" is much more important. Hence, kids raised in perfectly good homes, if mixed in with one or two douchebag friends, are completely capable of doing stupid things.

Abso-friggin'-luteley. I did dumb **** as a child to make my friends laugh at someone else's expense that I STILL remember and regret.

In fact, a guy who was an acquaintence in middle school reached out on facebook the other day, and i was surprised, because he was always overweight and I definitely made my share of fun of him. It brought back some guilt, and I'm glad to see he's doing well.

Plus, factor in that once someone else becomes the target, the other kids join in because if they're funny or appear to be cool with it, then next time maybe the bad kid won't make THEM that target.

~Bang

Kids are cruel.

This is not new. It's awful to see, but it's not some new phenomenon that kids are cruel little ****s, especially when no one is around to stop them.

Besides, I guarantee that most of those kids, if confronted alone by it, will plead that they were only doing it because others were doing it, and probably will feel bad about it.

In a kid's mind, making the old lady cry isn't about the old lady. It's about making their friends laugh and fitting in with the group, even when the group does things that individually they know are wrong. Kids are heavily influenced by their peers, and have little of the social graces that allow for the empathy it takes to understand the lady's pain in the course of the teasing.

~Bang

Good post.

All I could think about was my grandmother being on that bus and taking that abuse. This video made me very thankful for the love and discipline I was shown as a kid by my elders. I just don't understand how people can be so evil. The fact that those are middle schoolers is not an acceptable excuse in my book. I hope something serious happens to them for this.

Better yet, I think some sort of public humiliation is in order. Make them set up somewhere downtown and have a sign that reads: "I made fun of the elderly, this is my punishment. Say "ANYTHING" about me that you want and I cannot respond." Make them take a bunch of **** from total strangers and if they speak or retaliate, for every retaliation, they get a day of suspension tacked on to the 2 weeks I'd give them.
Best punishment for them is to have to go to the lady herself, apologize, do a bunch of chores around her house for her, and have a meeting with the school counselor where they are asked how they would appreciate it if every one on the bus ganged up and made fun of them. They take some sensitivity class, and are warned the consequences will be worse if it should happen again. They should then be tasked as bus monitors themselves, ensuring others don't do what they did. I think that series of punishments will help them learn respect for others as well as themselves, and is more effective than a simple bus banishment or suspension.

My suggestion is above. Public humiliation.

Although, isn't that womans job to make sure these kids don't act like that? :D

Not much you can do when the kids have the self-righteous attitudes that "adults can't do anything to me, or I'll call (insert authority group here) on them and they'll get in trouble."

Kids are cruel.

~Bang

Very good post. Pretty much what I was trying to say earlier in the thread but you worded it much better than I did lol. This can't be put entirely on the parents.

Not much you can do when the kids have the self-righteous attitudes that "adults can't do anything to me, or I'll call (insert authority group here) on them and they'll get in trouble."

I know, especially when there is a pack of them working together.

Kids can be such *******s.

Well, that I don't condone. I never like hitting anybody, especially kids.

There is a difference to me. Hitting (to me) implies anger or spite, and closed fist. Spanking is used as a punishment, never done in anger (meaning that if I'm angry about something my kids did, I'll wait until I've cooled off to spank them), and more often than not I use a switch (spoon, rod, something other than my hand).

Of course, we're on a good route for derailing the thread, so if you're inclined to continue this conversation, I'd be more than happy to in a different thread or via PMs.

Kids are cruel.

~Bang

This is what scares me the most about being a parent. I know that no matter how much I try to raise good, decent, children, there will come a time when they'll do something stupid because of wanting to fit in with the crowd. We've all seen what a mob mentality does to adults-it's even worse with kids. I only hope that by talking to them, they aren't as tempted to just "go along".

But for the record, this is sickening.

Kids are cruel.

~Bang

This 100%.

I'll bet there was one ring leader and the rest of the kids were trying to impress him/each other by doing this. I'd bet most of them come from decent homes as well.

---------- Post added June-21st-2012 at 06:17 PM ----------

any update on 4chan being involved in this?

I don't know when I'll ever have kids, but instances like this are always what scare the hell out of me, though I know that as a parent, you have to be prepared for your kid to act up/do stupid **** on occassion.

I guess you do what you can to lay a foundation of right/wrong, etc, keep drilling it into them, and hope for the best.

You can sit there and say that, but cell phones and Twitter/Facebook is something, as a parent, is damn near impossible to monitor. You can kids come from the very same household and one kid goes on to live a productive life and the other is in and out of trouble. Did the parents parent one kid better? No.

You cannot always blame the parents for a kids problems.

Social media/the internet/cell phones are definitely not to blame. In fact, you can thank social media for getting these little ****s caught and into trouble.

Archived