Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TrueSkool: The Real Reason Why They Repeat the Same 20 Songs on the Radio & TV Nationwide

Ellis

Ever wonder why you see and hear the same 20 artists on the rotation on radio & television? No, it's not because people are calling the radio stations requesting the songs incessantly. The answer: media-consolidation. 90% of the media is controlled by only 6 companies: GE, Newscorp, Disney, Viacom & Time Warner. Compare that to 1983 when media was owned by 50 companies. According to FreePress.net, "media consolidation means less diversity in programming and ownership, fewer voices and viewpoints, less coverage of local issues that matter to communities and less of the unbiased, independent and critical journalism we need to prevent abuses of power." Media-consolidation has affected the balance and diversity of today's music, which is especially evident when it comes to hip hop.

http://www.trueskool.com/forum/topic/show?id=1464587%3ATopic%3A119281

Who listens to live radio any more?

Truth moment though, if I listen to live radio it is the local radio station which is truly a community radio station with what some might call a schizophrenic variety of music, you can be listening to the Hoppers singing "Shoutin' Time in Heaven" one moment and then Ozzie singing "Crazy Train" the next, but as far as community radio is concerned there is IMO none better. I've been on the air with their morning dj several times promoting different mission causes etc, plus they have every one from the high school drama club promoting the upcoming musical to live broadcasts of the local high school sports, not to mention everyone from The Turtleman to Rand Paul. When we were hit really hard with an ice storm a couple years ago, the radio station suspended their normal programming for more than a week as they became the communications hub for the entire listening area. I have never seen a community radio station like this one and IMO we need more like it. In case anyone is wondering, the station is 102.9 WPBK FM.

Y not both?

Because several of the young guys on here keep telling us how advanced they are in every way as though they were somehow the first magically-born cohort to independently and autonomously achieve such unique evolutionary excellence with nothing of their superiority attributable to any of those who proceeded them. :)

Hubris, baby! :beavisnbutthead:

:pfft:

I keed I keed. I love the youngsters. They are our future. It's a new concept. :D

---------- Post added May-25th-2012 at 08:52 AM ----------

Hip hop seems to be handling the situation better than rock, which is all but dead.

Agreed, but in the sense that reality shows are "handling the situation" better than Hallmark Hall of Fame.

I had my last truck for about 5 years, when the CD player over heated and I had to listen to the radio. I found an oldies station and soon learned that the trucks radio would tell me the artist and song name on the display. It didn't work for the little country station from up the road or the two college stations I liked.

@Jumbo, that was pretty funny.

Agreed, but in the sense that reality shows are "handling the situation" better than Hallmark Hall of Fame.

Not liking the new stuff is far different than there simply not being much of anything new. There aren't enough new rock/alternative songs, supported by major labels, to supply a radio station at the moment. Music right now seems to be almost entirely pop versions of the major genres at the moment... or stuff made 10 or more years ago.

BTW - I wouldn't have pegged you as a hard core hip hop fan. :ols:

Is it me, or has no major new musical genre emerged commercially for about the past 20 years or so?

Hip-hop and "alternative" were fully commercialized by the early 90s. Techno and its endless electronic variants were becoming quite thoroughly monetized by the mid-90s.

(I don't count fads like the late-90s commercial big band/ska revival as a totally new commercial genre, though I might be persuaded to had those movements lasted longer than a couple of years apiece.)

The old chestnut that nothing is really ever new certainly applies. But it seems like we don't see the same size of commercial genre emergence that we once saw.

Perhaps it's not a coincidence that the massive radio consolidation began in earnest in 1996, with the Telecommunications Act. I'd posit that consolidation hasn't merely reduced the variety of music within the standard genres, but also prevented new genres from gaining any commercial foothold as well.

Internet radio will save you.

~Bang

This.

Let them have pop radio. Was it ever that great to begin with?

We have internet radio and YouTube channels/MySpace pages for independent artists. Also, the big companies can't touch your local public radio station.

We have choices, people. We aren't shackled by commercial radio anymore.

Nothing really matters to me... when you're gone... when you're gone (x2)

When I close my eyes, I start to cry for youuuuuu,

You're the reason why... I have to say goodbye to youuuuu.

This feeling I have inside, just makes me want to die for youuuuuuuu

All these lonely nights, they don't just feel so right for youuuuuuuuuuu

Sending all my...

I'm sending all my love. I'm sending all my love to youuuuuuuuuu

Ever wonder why you see and hear the same 20 artists on the rotation on radio & television? No, it's not because people are calling the radio stations requesting the songs incessantly. The answer: media-consolidation. 90% of the media is controlled by only 6 companies: GE, Newscorp, Disney, Viacom & Time Warner.

Is it just me or did they only list five companies?

Edit: Read further into the article and they mention CBS.

It's an interesting, at times alarming, article, but some of their "shocking" statistics are just math manipulation. Sure, Mrs. Robinson has been played enough times to run for 30 years straight, but they weren't all played for the same person. When you actually spread 6,000,000 radio plays over 40 years in a country with 50 states it becomes 8 times per state per day. Not so shocking anymore. I'd actually have guessed it would be higher.

Archived