Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TrueSkool: The Real Reason Why They Repeat the Same 20 Songs on the Radio & TV Nationwide

Ellis

Good music is still out there, it just isn't as well advertised mainly due to the powers that be.

We all know what the corporations have done in terms of sticking to a specific song set of their choosing. At the same time, with the advent of mixing technology and indie, music as a whole has exploded. Not to mention hip-hop is being made and produced internationally now.

Still, each generation will have their particular taste of music and look weirdly at the next generations no matter what we do. Historically speaking, that pretty normal...

Lol, no musical genre is dead.

It's only dead if you don't support it, or know about it.

It might not be as big or as well known these days...but there are all types of music still out there. People still indeed make Polka music, Hawaiian style music, etc.

So perhaps more regulation would help the situation?

I don't think that "internet radio" or "internet TV" are really the answer. I know for a fact that a "band" makes a lot less per listen on internet radio than they do over the airwaves. While internet radio offers better variety and greater convenience it isn't really possible for a band to make money by internet radio alone. Internet radio isn't regulated in the same sense that over the air radio is. There were times that you could listen to a radio station and get some sort of variety. Radio stations had personality. People used to be die hard supporters of radio stations and I believe that deregulation has completely killed this.

Not liking the new stuff is far different than there simply not being much of anything new. There aren't enough new rock/alternative songs, supported by major labels, to supply a radio station at the moment. Music right now seems to be almost entirely pop versions of the major genres at the moment... or stuff made 10 or more years ago.

BTW - I wouldn't have pegged you as a hard core hip hop fan. :ols:

There's actually plenty of new stuff being played on Sirius/XM radio. I wouldn't go so far as to say much of it is any good, but i've been introduced to a few new bands by Octane, Lithium and a couple of the other ones. I have a feeling my musical taste will always think my generation was the best though so i don't expect to like much of the newer stuff. Your point def stands if we are only talking about FM Clear Channel radio though. People still listen to FM radio other than for talk radio?

That DragonForce **** sucks. It sounds like corny, bad video game music.

Don't hold back now. Tell us what you really think. ;p

But yeah it does kinda remind me of a hair band covering a Megaman soundtrack. Which still beats most of what's played on corporate TV or radio.

DragonForce will deliver us from evil.

I was a big fan of their Sonic Firestorm, but not as much the last two albums (though the most recent certainly is better than Ultra Beatdown). If it's Power Metal you're into, there's a ton of really talented bands I can point you towards if you're interested.

---------- Post added May-28th-2012 at 09:11 PM ----------

Don't hold back now. Tell us what you really think. ;p

But yeah it does kinda remind me of a hair band covering a Megaman soundtrack. Which still beats most of what's played on corporate TV or radio.

No, THIS is a hair band covering a Megaman soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V770s29vlVk

Is it me, or has no major new musical genre emerged commercially for about the past 20 years or so?

Hip-hop and "alternative" were fully commercialized by the early 90s. Techno and its endless electronic variants were becoming quite thoroughly monetized by the mid-90s.

(I don't count fads like the late-90s commercial big band/ska revival as a totally new commercial genre, though I might be persuaded to had those movements lasted longer than a couple of years apiece.)

The old chestnut that nothing is really ever new certainly applies. But it seems like we don't see the same size of commercial genre emergence that we once saw.

Now that you mention it, no not really.

I saw Powerglove open for DragonForce in concert. It was astoundingly amazing. PG came out dressed like world of Warcraft characters and opened with a metal version of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Incredible.

I like DF because they are over the top with ridiculous fantasy themes lyrics. And I think their most recent album is their best, just better than Sonic Firestorm. No, I generally don't like power metal, I've tried a lot of it. Just DF.

I like DF because they are over the top with ridiculous fantasy themes lyrics. And I think their most recent album is their best, just better than Sonic Firestorm. No, I generally don't like power metal, I've tried a lot of it. Just DF.

If it's the fantasy theme you like, you may be interested in Rhapsody of Fire, who's music is telling a pair of sagas on the level of Lord of the Rings in scope. And a fun little note: Christopher Lee (Scarmanga, Saruman, Count Dooku) joined them to add some narration to their albums.

You may also be interested in some Dream Evil, with songs such as Chasing The Dragon.

If it's the fantasy theme you like, you may be interested in Rhapsody of Fire, who's music is telling a pair of sagas on the level of Lord of the Rings in scope. And a fun little note: Christopher Lee (Scarmanga, Saruman, Count Dooku) joined them to add some narration to their albums.

You may also be interested in some Dream Evil, with songs such as Chasing The Dragon.

I'll check them out, thanks. Wasn't a fan of Dream Evil the first time I listened, but maybe my taste has changed.

I've gotten away from my Classic Rock Station because they've fallen into the same trap as the Top 40 bubble gum stations. I hear the same damn songs every day. Same 3 or 4 Van Halen songs, same 3 or 4 RUSH songs, same 3 or 4 Boston songs, etc, etc. These artists have multiple albums with multiple hits, yet you only hear the same 3 or 4 songs. I listen to alot of sports talk nowadays at work and in my truck.

Back on the rock theme. Rock has always been fragmented, but through the years the genres within rock had one thing in common...a lifestyle to sell that people could relate to. Whether it was punk, arena rock, hair bands, grunge, rockabilly, etc. However each of these movements or genres didn't coincide with each other all at once. They are now. So when a movement or new genre of rock came along, there was a group moving from one particular style, like punk, and those punk kids moved onto another kind of rock music. At any point in time there really wasn't more than 4 or 5 major genres of rock popular at one time. This ended when rap and rock came and went with Kid Rock. That was the last time rock had a new genre twist. Sure Nickelback has had some success on top 40 in the 2000s, but beyond them who else has sustained success? With that said, rock is fragmented, there is not a new movement to get behind that excites people. The hipsters will listen to what they want, the metal heads will listen to what they want, the blues based rock guys will listen to what they want, etc. Other genres of music are not nearly as fragmented as rock. County is country, pop is pop, hip hop is hip hop, etc. So those stations with those formats have a select few artists they can play that everyone will like and people will listen because there is no alternative to what is on there (for the most part). Rock is so diverse that is loses people when you go from WIlco, to Metallica, to Ramones, to Korn, to Grateful Dead, to Candlebox, to whoever else is rock based. If radio isn't playing an artist, it won't sell because it doesn't get the promotion it should. People say they want variety in what they listen to, but rarely do they mean it. Also the royalty payments for artists these days stinks compared to the terrestrial radio days when each station had to pay. That isn't the case now with Internet radio. Satellite radio has also hurt artists because there is only one station paying 10 cents for the song being played instead of the hundreds across the nation that may have played the song.

Archived